Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this .44 cal bp revolver to carry along deer hunting. I haven't shot it yet. Was wondering about what kinda bp charge to load it with ? I'm thinking @ 30 -35 grains of t7 and a .451 ball. I also have some 30 grain pellets. From what I read on some of these boards, I should be able to take a deer out to @ 50 yds ?
I'm considering getting the extra cylinder also, but wonder how long can I leave a charge in there ? Also, a little concerned re percussion caps. I read sometimes they fall off, so ya gotta scrunch them some I guess. I've got #10's & #11's so I'll experiment with them.
Any tips/thoughts would be appreciated. Thanx !!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Out to 50 yards? :rof2:

I don't know how your revolver compares to mine, but no way I'd attempt to shoot a deer out to 50 yards with my setup. I think I load about that amount of charge (30-35) and at 25-30 yards I could literally watch the ball hit my target. I have never attempted to take a deer with it and not sure I ever would. Oh sure, folks used to kill each other with these things "back in the day", but wasn't that at like 10 paces or something? Ball just seemed awfully slow, IMO, for deer hunting.

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
What manufactorer is you hand gun? I know the Ruger old army .44 cal bp pistol will take as much poweder as you can put in it and still fit the ball in and have room for the butter ring or buterd felt pad. If you dont put that on you risk chain fire from side cynlenders.

Some manufactorers make there tubes real short and wont take much more then 20grains.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
:eek:: I have an 1858 also and I shoot 30gr of powder in it. I have never fired it 50 yrds but I can tell you at 30 yrds it is deadly and very accurate. I would think it would have enough power to kill at 50yrds. I dont think I would push it much beyond that.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
wouldnt even attempt to deer hunt with it

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
It would take me ALOT of practice to group one good enuff to hunt with at 50yds....Bowhunting ranges and closer would be more like it personally.:cheers::wave:

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
I would start below 35grn. I shoot (or used to) shoot 28grn. (I think) with a .451 ball and a wonder-wad out of a Pietta 1858. :cheers: Deadly accurate. Hotter loads dont work well with these pistols.

I cant remember what caps I had, but you do have to crimp them a little prior to putting them on. I tried all different kinds and none worked well. They will either fall off, or they will start falling off as the cylinder rotates, and will get stuck between the cylinder and the frame. Never had one get stuck but have had a bunch fall off.

Wouldnt be my first choice for deer, but within 40 yds, and having the perfect shot, I "might" try it.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
[rquote=1616713&tid=112047&author=bives] I also have some 30 grain pellets.[/rquote]

Never seen anyone use pellets in one. I'd probably stick to the loose powder. Just my :02:.

·
Registered
11,987 Posts
Read the owners manual to see what the company recomends you use in it. Also leave one round empty and leave the hammer on it for safety reasons.

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
Leave the pellets out of the equation. Performance, such as it is, will suffer. 30 grs. Fffg or T-7 is a standard load in either the '58 Remington or the 1860 Army.

Percussion revolvers can be as accurate as most run of the mill smokeless handguns.

Taking a deer with one would be a challange but before you try, would you consider taking a deer with a 38 Spl.? That's about the ballistics you're playing with. That, and a round ball loses velocity and energy quickly. So much so that at 50 yards I imagine it's around 100 fpe, or less. There ain't a lot there to start with. Carry it, enjoy it and use it for the "coup de grace" if necessary and shoot the heck out of it for fun!!

Vic

Reactions: Wibb

·
Registered
13,741 Posts
Season before last, a buddy of mine, here in Kentucky, wounded a deer with his M/L rifle, and though it went down, when he got near, it jumped up and tried to take off. He pulled out a BP revolver of some sort, and shot it stone dead. It was an accident:D he was aiming at it's lungs and hit it in the head :eek:.
You can do it, but you gotta be a better shot than Keenan. :D The only experience I've had with an 1858, the danged thing shot pretty good, but at 25 yards, it shot about 18 inches high. Make sure yours is shooting dead-on, or leave it at home.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Remmington 1858 New Army .44 cal bp

Thanx guys !! I shot it today. Went well. 3o gr. pellets I think were "iffy". I'm not a great pistol shot, but at 25 yds they were on the paper. Best load I had was 35 gr T7. right in there.
I've read enough on different boards and in different venues to be confident with this gun for deer hunting. When I suggest out to 50 yds I mean under optimal conditions and I've practiced enough to have confidence in my shot, etc. I mainly envision using it if a deer by chance strolls up for a 20 yd "gimmee" shot.
For Longbow26, after I loaded with 35 gr + ball there was a good bit of space yet. I think conceptually I could get up to 40 -45 gr in there ? I dunno, I liked the way it shot with 35 gr.
I didn't hear any thoughts on how long I might leave a charge in cylinders ? Thanx again !!

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
[rquote=1617173&tid=112047&author=bives]
I think conceptually I could get up to 40 -45 gr in there ? I dunno, I liked the way it shot with 35 gr.
I didn't hear any thoughts on how long I might leave a charge in cylinders ? Thanx again !![/rquote]

I honestly would not use 40grn.

What wads/patching are you using?

·
Registered
9,690 Posts
Most replica C&B revolvers shoot high, by original design. I've had several 1860 Army's and 1851 Navies over the years and they all shot high until I had the front sight replaced, then they would shoot quite nicely and one in particular was a real tack driver....I still have it.

The Remington is the strongest of the Civil War era C&B revolvers. I wouldn't be afraid of 40-45 grains in it at all, if it will fit, but don't think you're going to get much of a performance boost from 5-10 grains in a revolver length barrel. Biggest advantage will probably be form the extra powder acting as a cushion to the ball perhaps resulting in better accuracy. Fadala wrote at length on that very thing about one particular rifle.

You can leave the cylinders loaded for quite some time, months in fact, if it is kept in a dry place. If it's a place that is high in humidity I wouldn't do it. The powder is not corrosive until fired although it may very slightly etch the inside of the cylinder. Nothing I would be concerned with.

I wouldn't consider taking a shot at a deer beyond 20 yards with any BP revolver, except possibly a Walker....and then it would have to be an absolutely perfect setup. Methinks you believe you're getting more horsepower from the revolver than is really there. I don't care what the other web sites say, a C&B revolver isn't very powerful. A 36 is about equal to a 32 S & W and the 44's, except for the Walker, are about equal to a 38 Spl. I've never seen either as a recommended deer cartridge and from my experience, shooting them since 1975, I don't recommend them either. But, do as you will.

With either my 45 or 54 cal. pistols I wouldn't hesitate to fire on a deer out to maybe 40 yards if everything was perfect. But I'm getting more velocity and energy with the heavier powder charge and longer barrelled pistols.

Vic

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
By design, the Remington revolvers were/are typically made to shoot low so the owner can file the sights down if he wishes. My Pietta shoots about 3-4" low and 3-4" inches left at 25 yards. It's more like 8" left when I shoot offhand at 25 because of the way I hold it.
If you have an Uberti, then you have a dovetailed front sight.

Always pinch the caps before putting them on the nipple - even the size 10's. Without doing that the recoil can (and will in mine) knock the unshot caps off. Most think a chainfire normally occurs though the barrel or cylinder mouth end; it does not. The most common chainfire occurs through the nipples. Just make sure they are on snug.

I use a 24 grain charge because I have a measured flask by Petersolli (sp). It's nice because you only need one hand instead of two. But I have shot 35 grains of 777 in mine before and use that load hunting.

As far as deer hunting and using it for the first shot, forget about it. It's not going to turn out well.
I carry mine strickly as a finishing shot - break them down with a shot to the neck with the rifle and run up and pop it in the head with the revolver in case it can get away --- much safer than a knife. :whistle:
But these cap and balls have problems penetrating through the skulls. It's not going to make it through a shoulder and god only knows what's going to happen if it hits a rib.
Even a Walker is not as powerfull as a 357magnum. Perhaps with a conical, the dragoons would work but I'm not sure I'd even try that.
Waste of time, but feel free to finish one off and have a blast shooting it.

If you get tired of cleaning the gun, you can always get a conversion cylinder in a 45lc for about $250-$300. Of course that opens up a whole other discussion as the fitting of these drop-in cylinders are often not drop-in :pop:

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
One thing I have learnd over the years with my BP pistol is if I dont shot ful lpowder charge so bullet when seated is almost flush to cylender top, then i nead to put in filler ontop of the powder befor i put the ball in. Doing that greatly increases the guns acuracy. It also nearly totally removes any chance of the ball not hitting the side of the barel throght.
But in mine im shoting 40 grains 3 fff most of the times anyways so not nead to use the filler as much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Read the owners manual to see what the company recomends you use in it. Also leave one round empty and leave the hammer on it for safety reasons.
Hey there, the New Army 1858's and replicas have safety stops between chambers for the hammer to not rest on a live chamber, you should be able to load all six.

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,634 Posts
Wow! Another resurrected thread.
Only thing I'd add is that the .451 ball does NOT do a good job of sealing, and that I've gone to .457. The thought of "crossover" scared the bejeezus out of me.
Also, my Uberti is a little loose towards the end of the cylinder, and won't hold the bullets at 40 gr.

Reactions: sharps4590
1 - 18 of 18 Posts