Never have I heard so few shots

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by Shrapnel, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    On opening day. Takes me back to the 80's when it was a big deal just to get drawn for an any deer tag.

2. That is what I was thinking this morning too Shrapnel :shrug:

:cheers:

3. Refuze2falo

Refuze2falo Plain White Cracker

Aug 13, 2008
    We are neighbors
    Keeping the powder companies in business round here:D

4. HomertheHunter

HomertheHunter Active Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Kearney, MO
    No shots heard from in my house this AM. My wife had to help her mom at a craft show and the boy is sick so my stuff is still in the garage.

5. jwgossage

jwgossage New Member

Agree I am in St Charles I heard 1 shot all morning I've seen 6 does a group of 3 Group 2 and a single

6. semohunt88

semohunt88 New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    I was getting ready to start a thread on this same topic! I heard like 3 shots and usually its 15 to 20 or more on opening morning... So what the heck is goin on? They were just not moving at all this morning. I'm guessing it has somethin to do with the heat this past week?

7. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    I've heard 3 shots. My cousin saw a buck before shooting light. I haven't seen anything but half a dozen turkeys. Think I should of brought my safety harness into the box blind with me. This wind is ridiculous.

8. semohunt88

semohunt88 New Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Yea I saw three does very early this morning..honestly, from you experts--what u think is the problem?

9. UrbanHunter

UrbanHunter Active Member

Well, I've heard about 20... but I don't think they had anything to do with the deer opener.:claphands:
    Life in the 'hood...
    Saw a lot of action last night just before the rain hit. When it started raining hard, I watched a doe lay down right where she was. Unfortuantely, she could see me climbing down, so I waited... and dripped, for about 1/2 hour.
    It'll pick up.:cheers:

10. carbonslinger

carbonslinger New Member

Dec 25, 2008
    bethany,mo
    heard around 20 or more had a big buck and 3 does come thru the timber like they were about to get eaten.couldnt get the gun up fast enough.

11. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    bull pucky...mdc says we are over run with deer. they should be knocking everyone out of their stands....

12. ZooKeeper

ZooKeeper New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    O'Fallon, MO
    I couldn't tell if it was due to so few shots or I couldn't hear them due to the wind.

13. mag1

mag1 New Member

Other than my neighbor shooting 8 times at 3 different deer, I only heard 7 shots since daybreak.

14. BILLYGOAT

BILLYGOAT New Member

heck i had bucks chasin does all around me while i was duck huntn today.seems to be plenty of deer out there:cheers:

15. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    [rquote=1894585&tid=131982&author=Shrapnel]On opening day. Takes me back to the 80's when it was a big deal just to get drawn for an any deer tag.[/rquote]

It is those AR's no one is seeing qualifying bucks to shot. And most hunters have 1 tag the any deer tag and will hold out to out it on a buck.

16. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    Same here,I may have heard two shots a long long way off..We didnt see a thing.

17. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Ok I didn't see squat this morning not sure if I want to go to a different area or not.One thing though when I left the house I thought I was overdressed but didn't take long to change my mind on that.

oneshot

:D The Big grin stayed at the House.

18. gwv

gwv New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Macon,MO
    Heard only 6 shots so far this morning. Seen a big 6 and that's it.The wind is bad down here in Eldon.

19. deerslayer75

deerslayer75 Active Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Liberty, Missouri
    counted 6 shots where im at

20. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    Saw one little six pointer that came five feet away on the ground. It was pretty neat, but that is all I saw. Hardly any shots. It usually sounds like a war zone.