Never been a savage guy, but one's got my attention

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by fishshooter, Nov 6, 2010.

1. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
  2. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Popular round with the snipers in the sand box!

3. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    A Lapua will definitely let you apply the AT&T principle - reach out and touch 'em!
    Kill em, clean em and probably cook em all in one shot! That is provided you find anything left of them!
    I can guarantee that whatever distance you can see them, it will hit them. I know a guy that can call shots on bowling pins at 1000 yards with one...

4. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

In that caliber, I'll take the Sako trg42 please!!:cheers::wave:

5. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    [rquote=1883605&tid=131201&author=htredneck]A Lapua will definitely let you apply the AT&T principle - reach out and touch 'em!
    Kill em, clean em and probably cook em all in one shot! That is provided you find anything left of them!
    I can guarantee that whatever distance you can see them, it will hit them. I know a guy that can call shots on bowling pins at 1000 yards with one...
    [/rquote]

That's what I'm planning on, that walk to the stand gets longer every year, thinking I might shorten it up, mabey next year :thinking:

6. htredneck

htredneck Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    Sit on the porch and make the shot.
    Train a dog to go get them for you!

I think you're on to something here...

7. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    The .338 Lapua is a great round I don't know as though you "need" that much juice for a deer even out to 1000 yds. I would like to try one out once and see how it works against my .308 on a 1000 yd target group etc etc.

8. macon county boy

macon county boy New Member

May 6, 2009
    ive shot 338 lapua, the 338 ultramag has very similar ballistics and brass is cheaper and easier to find but theres no way id reccomend either for deer hunting. but if you care for long range shots i could reccomend a 300 ultramag using a 165 or 180 pills will do fine from 0-1400 yds and the 300 ultra is alot more versatile on loading