Featured Nevada deer hunt pics added

Discussion in 'Out of State Hunts, Stories & Pics' started by Keef, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Quick story. The new world record mule deer came from this area. The guy shot it on the edge of an alfalfa field. Took a 60 yard shot and hit it in the rear. The buck went into the field and died. The rancher doesn't allow trespassing for any reason. After some talk and begging, they allowed him to retrieve the buck. Can't remember the score, think it was around 250". Huge deer.

We hunted within a mile of that field and saw bucks coming from it. One was a 180" non-typical. We set up for an ambush, but did too good a job of guessing where they'd come through. They popped up over a ridge 20 yards from us. 12 bucks including the big one. They were led by a forkie. He immediately spooked and the herd ran off before I could get a shot. Oh well I'm happy with the one I got later several miles from the field.

Alfalfa is the main crop here. Miles of the stuff. The mule deer feed on it and go to the surrounding mountains during the day. You should have seen the fat on the two deer we shot. Fat pigs.

By the way, it took me 6 years to draw this tag. My wife and I applied together and that's why we both had a tag.

bluecan, Dafish, Maddog3355 and 3 others like this.
  2. MAJORTOM

MAJORTOM Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    At work as usual
    Awesome! That's all I got!

3. doepee

doepee Senior Member

Sep 17, 2004
    STL
    Great job, those are some awesome bucks!

4. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    This is another picture of the type of country where I killed my buck. Open country makes stalking tough. IMG_20170831_181638440.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    starbux, beanpile and Bootheel Boy like this.
  5. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Great bucks, but hafta say, I think your wife out done ya, even if it don't score as well. :D

I don't get to go again til next fall, so appreciate all the Muley hunting pics I can get. :wave1:

6. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Yes her buck was impressive. Heavy and tall. If we could have blended hers with mine, it would have been a monster.

I'm glad she got a big one, she deserves it for putting up with me all these years. Since we've been married, she's taken black bear, whitetails, mule deer, elk, turkey, antelope and Desert bighorn sheep. Not bad for someone who had never hunted before.

What state are you going to hunt?

7. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Headed back to MT in 2018, near Glasgow. It'll be my 4th Muley hunt, looking forward to it. Taking some guys who have never done a Western hunt, so I probably have a bit of work to do on that front. The one man's two sons have been begging me to put a hunt together for them, the Dad, well he's not the most serious deer hunter in the world, but wants to see his sons kill nice bucks.

8. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    I've hunted near Glendive, MT and in the western side of the state. Beautiful country. Good luck and let us know when you go next year.

9. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Will do, last week of October is most likely time frame....

10. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Active Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    You have to hand it to a hunter who can get it done in that type of terrain. Can't be easy getting to full draw without being noticed.

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Good stuff Roy, congrats!

12. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Thanks guys. My wife is pretty excited about her buck, her second mule deer and by far the biggest. I'm pretty pumped as well.

coyotehunter likes this.
  13. Im jealous, I have three buddies in western nebraska now and headed back tomorrow. As of now only one of the three has killed a buck.

14. h_callahan

h_callahan Senior Member

Nov 14, 2008
    warren county
    Thanks for sharing your hunts and adventures with us. I truely enjoy them. I hope you have luck on the elk and get it done here in Mo this fall.

15. mattys281

mattys281 Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Arizona
    Congrats! Those are some impressive mulies.

16. sambo3006

sambo3006 Active Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Christian County
    Nice bucks! Hope you get your bull by the end of the day today!