Featured Nevada deer hunt pics added

Discussion in 'Out of State Hunts, Stories & Pics' started by Keef, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Just got back a couple of hours ago. What a hunt! Weather was disgustingly hot. Could only hunt until about 10 in the morning and then after 4 in the evening.

But we had great results. I'll post pictures in a day or two. I will tell you I got a P&Y buck. My wife got a buck with high, heavy, heavy main beams. Its tines were short so it won't score but it is an impressive rack. And she also shot a coyote with her bow.

Yeah I know it's not real without pictures. I'll get them on here after I recover.

Elk hunting sucked due to the weather. I have until Sept 16, so I'm hoping to go back and see if I can get it done. I passed on a 300" bull at 15 yards and a high 200" bull at 30 yards. This area has some really big bulls, so I was hoping for something better.

We chased some bucks off the same alfalfa field where the new world record typical mule deer was taken last year. Saw a 180" non-typical there but couldn't get a shot.

I think I posted somewhere on here that landowner deer tags sell for $9-12000 and elk go for $15000+ in this unit. We got ours for $75 and $125 (I think) since we're residents and drew the tags in the lottery. This is my last year as a resident of Nevada so our luck was very timely.

I'm calling it a night. See you shortly.

2. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Nice Job on the deer and keep after the Elk, hopefully your patience will pay off.

3. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Get some rest and then show us the pics. :guitar:

4. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    Here's a teaser. I'll show you some field pictures when I get them loaded.

Attached Files:

starbux, bluecan, Dafish and 7 others like this.
  5. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    As you can see, her deer is tall and the mass is unreal. Mine has more tine length and is pretty symmetrical. We had a hybrid with the two it would be a monster.

I haven't measured mine, but I feel confident it will make the record book. It only takes 145" to be in the P&Y record book.

6. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    Those are both awesome Muleys, I'd have killed either in a heartbeat, congrats to both of you.

7. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    IMG_20170831_191557380.jpg IMG_20170904_120051086.jpg IMG_20170831_165738404.jpg

This is the country where I shot mine. It was a 64 yard shot. The wind was blowing at 20-30 mph. Skill involved 5%, luck 95%, but I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Hers was shot over a waterhole. The shot was too far back and the buck went about a mile. Our guide was the best tracker I've ever hunted with and I've hunted with quite a few. The tracking job was unbelievable, it took 3 hours.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  8. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Awesome stuff, I want one!

9. Keef

Keef Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Clark Co, MO
    She shot this coyote at 23 yards. Shelby's coyote.jpg

Dafish and Maddog3355 like this.
  10. badlander

badlander Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nice pics; in beautiful country

11. Cedar Thicket

Cedar Thicket Blonde Bearded Guy

Super cool! Congrats on a successful hunt and nice pics.

12. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    Congrats to you and your wife! Gets me pumped up for archery season to start here.

13. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Those a nice muleys. CJ should be along with a gold star before long.

14. Deeraholic

Deeraholic Great White Buffalo @*%!

Congrats to you both!

15. jewilliams

jewilliams Active Member

Feb 15, 2012
    SEMO.
    Congrats! Great mule deer.

16. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

If I ever said I passed a 300 inch Bull at 15 yrds I'd hope somebody would hit me in the head with a hammer :banging:. That being said your doing what I would dream of doing once in my life. Keep at it and have a safe and good time.I'm living vicariously through your adventures. Good Luck I hope you get what your after!!

17. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Great job Keefer.

Saw a forky mulie myself yesterday over by Mt Hood sight seeing here in Oregon.
    He was just a baby.

18. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Those are some great looking bucks you 2 got! Congratulations!

19. Ohdeer

Ohdeer Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Good stuff, Mr. Keef!