Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a call from my dads friend saying that the neighbor called and was on our property for the SECOND time in the past 3 weeks looking for a deer they wounded. Now the worst part about it is they were both real nice bucks and ones we have been watching and we could have taken crap shots like they did at the bucks but we refrained.... but thats another story.

Im all for taking your kid out hunting but if your kid cant make a killing shot with a bow (first buck) or a gun (second buck) you might want to take them out to practice ALOTTTTTTTTT more. Im really fired up about this but I cant do anything. Theres two great deer that will most likely die and become a huge waste.

Heres a tip for them.....take a shot that is within the capabilities of you kid. I can only imagine how the kid feels wounding two nice bucks, but both shots were well out of his range both times in my opinion, not to mention the rifle caliber choice is definitely controversial.

I just hope the kid will want to continue to hunt but when i was that age if i were to lose several deer like that i would be devastated. Its definitely the parents job to make sure that a quick clean kill can be executed. Wait for a lethal shot or dont even think about squeezing the trigger bottom line

I know I cant control what other people may do but its really getting rediculous and seems to happen every year with this neighbor. Some people will never learn :stickfight:

Sorry for the rant but im sure you guys have had similair experiences. Nothing beats finding a mature deer rotting away because someone took a terrible shot.

:whinging::whinging::whinging::whinging::whinging:

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
Do like I do here if I shoot a Deer and it goes to the neighbors it is lost even if I see it drop same if he shoots a Deer and it gets over here.

Takes care of him hunting on the Fence.I've lost a nice Buck and a Doe to this.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin can't even pass gas over there.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,050 Posts
I found a dandy with tons of potential, opening morning of rifle season. He was dead 200 yds from my new house. Yeah, it's rough & took a lot of the wind out of my sails, but to quote henry, "they make more every year"

When I first started bow hunting, I lost as many deer as I found & yes, it tore me up to loose one. Matter of fact, one year, I had lost 2 does & finally got an arrow in a big buck, not big by todays standards, but big to me then. I couldn't find him. I was devastated & vowed that if I didn't find him, I was done bowhunting. I was extremely :mad2: at myself over it. Took 10 more steps & there he layed, piled up.:claphands:

Had someone come along that year & berated me over it, more than likely, I would have hung up the bow & never hunted again.

If they've spent that much time looking for that deer, sounds to me like they're beating themselves up pretty hard about it right now.

You very well could be in a position to turn things around for the kid & help keep him hooked on hunting for the rest of his life by lending a hand in finding the deer. By showing some tolerance, rather than berating him. By offering to help him learn to shoot better. I mean seriously, isn't it better to be on good relations with your neighbor than thinking the worst of them everytime you go hunting? That's a recipe for not getting any pleasure from your own hunts IMO.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
10pt,

I know it;s frustrating but PW is right see if you can help the kid and his mentor become better hunters. It really shouldn't matter whether it was adoe or a nice buck, I'll bet the kid ain't all that torn up if he is just a younster.

However, I agree they are making more deer every year, but it will take more than 1,2, or three years to recover the potential that some of these deeer that are being wounded. With that said, deer are pretty darn tough creatures and can survive alot!

It may be very difficult to approach in a positive manner without offend his father or mentor but try and approach him as best you can to speak with him about practice and ethical shots. Or, let him have it, we won't miss one kid in our ranks:D just kidding don't anyone get their panties in a wad:cheers:

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
it's not just kids, everyone looses deer (especially with bows) and try to think of the nerves of a young man when a good buck steps out in front of them. it's a deer, i would be willing to give up a couple deer to get another deer hunter on the pro hunting side. congrats to his dad for getting him out there. sure hope he puts a good one down and is hooked for life.:cheers:

·
Registered
585 Posts
i dont think i would leave a message on this site that they are prob. not going to read i would talk to them in person ! just saying :shrug:

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
why is it such a horrable thing when your neighbor looses a deer but yet it seems like every other day somebody on here makes a post about a deer they lost or a deer they couldnt get out of the woods becouse it was raining and everybody pats them on the back and says no big deal its hunting and it happens??

·
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I most definitely would have helped him find it no matter what but I wasnt available since im in school and working everyday almost. We helped him try to find the first one, but the attitude they had was what was dissasppointing. The thing that bothered me is hearing that the kid took such long shots. I just wish the dad would have taught the kid a little dicipline on waiting for a better shot and passing the marginal ones. Taking a 50 yard shot with a bow for a subteenager and taking a shot at running buck with a .223 at 150+ yards are the bad shots that im talking about. (from what we were told)

Guys im sorry it made me look like a bad guy but im definitely one of the first people to want to help a kid out as i run kids fishing days and tournaments, but it was just the attitude that they had that bothered me really. Had they been more upset or acknowledged that maybe the shot they took wasnt the greatest I would feel differently. But the attitude was just that they didnt really care.

They know we were dissappointed but like you guys said they make more every year but its just a little upsetting that people wound deer with poor shot choices. I really dont think those shots would have been taken had they been does honestly is what bothers me too. Doe or monster buck, ....your range shouldnt change :D

We have all been there and lost deer but it didnt look like there was any guidance coming from his dad. I hope they find the deer and if we find them we will definitely give them a call.

Id love to mentor this kid but seeing the attitude i dont think anything would help.

Im more chilled out now but i was just a little upset to hear about those nice dudes getting hurt. I just had to let off a little steam last night longgggg day at school/work and hearing that news was icing on the cake for such a fabulous night :)

·
Registered
12,669 Posts
My dad always brags about his deer shoot/kill ratio. I can think of very few deer that he has shot and not found. This year he has shot at 3 big bucks and not gotten any of them, but has smoked 4 slickheads no problem.

1: The first one he shot with a bow and hit the shoulder. He said it was the biggest one he's ever shot at and he was rattled. Getting rattled is not what happens to him, but it did this time because all he seen was antlers.

The second one he was using his xbow and wasn't paying attention and the limb hit the treestand when he shot and threw his arrow off and missed the buck. He wasn't as big as the first, but still one of his best deer he's shot at.

Last Sunday he had his 7mm mag and shot at a buck and glanced off a limb or tree and grazed the buck. He tracked him for 1/2 mile and before he couldn't go any farther due to property borders. I can't remember him ever losing a deer with his 7mag and he's got a bunch with it.

He doesn't know if he's hunting anymore this year or not because he's so ticked off at himself. I can only think of three deer EVER that he has shot and not found. As long as they are making the effort to find those deer, that means they care. Crap happens though.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
well i can understand dissapointment like that. maybe as stated you can be a mentor to this young man. heck, i would even take a shot at 50 yards with a bow and i practice out to that yardage. well not much, course i don't practice much at any range. wouldn't use a .223 either but then again, i use a .243 with a 55 grain bullet and a lot wouldn't use that either. understand your frustration, hope this is one of those times where a drudda can take a situation and make a learning experience out of it for both of them.:cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts
The question I might have is are they sure that he even hit the deer? A lot of adults cannot make a 50 yard shot with a bow or a 150 yard running shot with a rifle, let alone a child. Was there blood on the arrow? Any blood trails at all?

Perhaps they knew the child did not hit it, hence the lack of appropriate enthusiasm in finding it?

·
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
they for sure hit the deer on both occassions and had blood but it petered out very quickly both times. Heck maybe those deer healed up and are living...can only hope :cheers:

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
[rquote=1488643&tid=103970&author=10pointer]they for sure hit the deer on both occassions and had blood but it petered out very quickly both times. Heck maybe those deer healed up and are living...can only hope :cheers:[/rquote]

dropped a good one about 4 years ago that while skinning out pulled a small caliber slug out of the shoulder. never know.:cheers:

·
Registered
587 Posts
[rquote=1488643&tid=103970&author=10pointer]Heck maybe those deer healed up and are living...can only hope[/rquote]

Only way to find out is get out there & get after them!

I hear you guys got some hawgs out there, so get off the computer & get huntin! LOL

Get with me on getting someone out there with you soon to film.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts