Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Needing some trapper's FREE advice!

790 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  mikeak 
#1 ·
I have been really wanting to try my hand at trapping a bobcat. We have encountered them quite a few times where I live and would like to know how/what to set? If you have pictures of some sets that you have made, that would be awesome as well. Any productive information would be great because I have no idea anything about trapping for bobcats. I have some foothold double spring traps that would work for this and I also have some conibear traps. Would also like to know if you use bait and if so, what do you use? I do know that fresh beaver scent is best, but I have none of that, so what would be the next best thing? I know this is a long post, but I really need some help because I'd like to get some traps out tomorrow if at all possible.

#3 ·
Bigjohn, Is there somewhere that you can buy beaver castor? Like I said, I really have no idea. Thanks for your advice. :cheers:

#5 ·
Thanks Mojorisin.

Can anyone tell me if it is legal in Missouri to use furs and/or feathers to "bait" trap sets with? I've been looking on MDC's website and can't find any information about it. Thanks again everyone. :cheers:

#6 ·
[rquote=1508106&tid=105149&author=Hunter79]Thanks Mojorisin.

Can anyone tell me if it is legal in Missouri to use furs and/or feathers to "bait" trap sets with? I've been looking on MDC's website and can't find any information about it. Thanks again everyone. :cheers:[/rquote]
You can use fur & feathers ......but if you use gamebird feathers such as turkey you have to have proof of legally having taken a turkey & you cannot use songbird feathers.
I have never read this in the pamphlet or rules but it has been told to me by a few different agents. I presume the same goes for fur.

[Edited on 12/13/2009 by Mojorisin]

#7 ·
Thanks again Mojorisin. I went to the website you suggested and am going to give it a try tomorrow. I will have these traps out for the rest of the season so I sure hope I can catch something. My brother and I have seen or gotten trail cam pics of cats 5 times. I know they're there, I just hope I can set a trap worthy of them checking out. Thanks a lot for your advice. I am going to take my camera with me and I'll post the pics of the sets when I'm done. I will appreciate any constructive criticism that you or any other trapper might have. Thanks again. :cheers:

#8 ·
No. 1 on the list is to bed your traps solid so they don't tip or wobble, it is the one most important thing no matter what else you do, I can't stress this enough !!!!!!

#9 ·
I saw that very same thing on trapboard.com. I have one more question (that I can think of right now:)) for you. How do you anchor your traps? I will be using either Duke or Victor #2 or #3 with about 18 inches of chain on them. What would be best to use to anchor them? Or do you use a drag? Please explain how you do it because again, I have no idea. Thanks a ton. I'm gettin pretty excited about tomorrow. :cheers::claphands:

#10 ·
TTT

#11 ·
I stake with Iowa disposable stakes, they go by several different names. You could take #14 guage wire & cut some forked drags out of tree limbs & double tie to them as a drag, use a baseball bat (The business end) sized limb about 6 ft. long & leave lots of stubs stickin out & it won't go far (we hope). Cats aren't hard to catch, the hardest part is finding one. A cats paw is big so use your biggest traps.

[Edited on 12/13/2009 by Mojorisin]

#12 ·
Here's a coupla pics that ought to help ya sleep well:claphands:
[file]84001[/file]
[file]84003[/file]
[file]84005[/file]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.