1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Does it pay anything ?

·
Registered
795 Posts
mojo....I would do a job for free if it was convenient and close!

Just recently I had a duck club ask me to come out and trap some rats and beaver....they thought I loved to trap and they would help me out and themselves at the same time. It was almost an hour away and way out of my way....

I asked them if they knew how much it would cost to have a ADC guy come out? They said no.....I said to call and ask...they did...here is what they were told.

$150-$200 set up fee depending on how far it is.

after that....it was $75 per rat and $100 per beaver trapped.

I think they realized who was doing them a favor and who wasn't...lol...I say this because I DO LOVE TO TRAP....but on my time and in my convenience. Trapping is a ton of work and time....

Sorry for hijacking the thread and Walnutcreekoutfitters....this isn't directed towards you or your thread....just commenting! :claphands:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1506719&tid=105055&author=trappersteve]Give me another landmark...city or town? I am from LS and know some trappers around that side of the state. [/rquote]

Do you live in STL now? My wife's family and college roommates are dispersed all over STL. I lived in Manchester for 3 years before coming back home to LS.

To answer the question: Hume, MO 64752
Located 20 miles SW of Butler, MO

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[rquote=1507051&tid=105055&author=trappersteve]mojo....I would do a job for free if it was convenient and close!

Just recently I had a duck club ask me to come out and trap some rats and beaver....they thought I loved to trap and they would help me out and themselves at the same time. It was almost an hour away and way out of my way....

I asked them if they knew how much it would cost to have a ADC guy come out? They said no.....I said to call and ask...they did...here is what they were told.

I think they realized who was doing them a favor and who wasn't...lol...I say this because I DO LOVE TO TRAP....but on my time and in my convenience. Trapping is a ton of work and time....

Sorry for hijacking the thread and Walnutcreekoutfitters....this isn't directed towards you or your thread....just commenting! :claphands:[/rquote]

No problem, I appreciate you taking interest! I probably can dig up a couple of trappers from my friend who's a wildlife biologist for MDC, but my intentions were not only get rid of my pests, but to meet some more MWT members with the same outdoor interests. Not only would the hides be taken by the trapper, but I can provide great fishing, food, and drinks. I would enjoy helping out in the trapping process, but I'm not educated in this field, but I make a great supervisor, and can be their for moral support.

·
5,092 Posts
i had 30 acres of water on a wrp property that drained into a creek and I feel your pain. I can't count the number of times I went in with waders on to clear the discharge pipe from the debris those busy beavers put in there. I'd unclog it Friday evening and Saturday morning it'd be clogged up again. I had a local trapper ask if he could put in some sets and I gladly said yes. I sold the property before I ever found out if he did any good. I've been told that if you want to kill beavers you need to set out a lantern at night over the water discharge and sit there with a shotgun and eventually he'll show up. You know what you do next. The conservation agent told me this. All I was supposed to do was call him to let him know everytime I shot one. It was ok to do it any time of the year but I'd check with your local guy first before trying it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[rquote=1507112&tid=105055&author=citybowhunter]i had 30 acres of water on a wrp property that drained into a creek and I feel your pain. I can't count the number of times I went in with waders on to clear the discharge pipe from the debris those busy beavers put in there. I'd unclog it Friday evening and Saturday morning it'd be clogged up again. I had a local trapper ask if he could put in some sets and I gladly said yes. I sold the property before I ever found out if he did any good. I've been told that if you want to kill beavers you need to set out a lantern at night over the water discharge and sit there with a shotgun and eventually he'll show up. You know what you do next. The conservation agent told me this. All I was supposed to do was call him to let him know everytime I shot one. It was ok to do it any time of the year but I'd check with your local guy first before trying it. Good Luck. [/rquote]

Thanks for the moral support. By the way I grew up in Raymore, the last name is Davis. I couldn't really see your face in the picture to see if I know you? Although, Raymore has blown up fast over the last few years, I don't seem to know very many people in town anymore.

The beaver seem to always show up when I don't have my gun. I was fishing earlier this year on the strip pit and a darn otter jumped the dam, from one pit, to the one I was fishing. The otter popped his head out looked right at me, and disappeared under water. He was probably eating on the golden shiners I stocked the week before? The otters are coming from the river a few miles down the rd. , don't know how you would ever control them, but would be nice to see what suffers in the traps. Their are beaver slides all over and I worry about holes being punched into the side of the dams.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
[rquote=1507051&tid=105055&author=trappersteve]mojo....I would do a job for free if it was convenient and close!

Sorry for hijacking the thread and Walnutcreekoutfitters....this isn't directed towards you or your thread....just commenting! :claphands:[/rquote]
I agree, thats why I asked. If it was close I would be more than happy to do it for free.People just do not understand what is involved in keeping a line working & how much gas it takes, usually if somebody calls I will ask for deer & turkey hunting permission. I love to trap also but I'm not gonna go broke doin it. I took the plunge this year after several years off to show my friends young son's how I do it & he give's me hunting permission on all his property's. I didn't mean to come off as greedy so......................Get Em:smiley:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[rquote=1507127&tid=105055&author=Mojorisin][rquote=1507051&tid=105055&author=trappersteve]mojo....I would do a job for free if it was convenient and close!

I agree, thats why I asked. If it was close I would be more than happy to do it for free.People just do not understand what is involved in keeping a line working & how much gas it takes, usually if somebody calls I will ask for deer & turkey hunting permission. I love to trap also but I'm not gonna go broke doin it. I took the plunge this year after several years off to show my friends young son's how I do it & he give's me hunting permission on all his property's. I didn't mean to come off as greedy so......................Get Em:smiley:[/rquote]

No skin off my back. You always have to ask for the sale, a guys got to make a living! I'm always willing to trade one's services for another, even if it's deer, turkey, and fishing permission.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
[rquote=1507138&tid=105055&author=walnutcreekoutfitters][rquote=1507127&tid=105055&author=Mojorisin][rquote=1507051&tid=105055&author=trappersteve]mojo....I would do a job for free if it was convenient and close!

I agree, thats why I asked. If it was close I would be more than happy to do it for free.People just do not understand what is involved in keeping a line working & how much gas it takes, usually if somebody calls I will ask for deer & turkey hunting permission. I love to trap also but I'm not gonna go broke doin it. I took the plunge this year after several years off to show my friends young son's how I do it & he give's me hunting permission on all his property's. I didn't mean to come off as greedy so......................Get Em:smiley:[/rquote]

No skin off my back. You always have to ask for the sale, a guys got to make a living! I'm always willing to trade one's services for another, even if it's deer, turkey, and fishing permission.[/rquote]
You should have no problem finding a trapper close to you that would be glad to remedy your varmint problem:2thumbsup:

·
5,092 Posts
[rquote=1507120&tid=105055&author=walnutcreekoutfitters][rquote=1507112&tid=105055&author=citybowhunter]i had 30 acres of water on a wrp property that drained into a creek and I feel your pain. I can't count the number of times I went in with waders on to clear the discharge pipe from the debris those busy beavers put in there. I'd unclog it Friday evening and Saturday morning it'd be clogged up again. I had a local trapper ask if he could put in some sets and I gladly said yes. I sold the property before I ever found out if he did any good. I've been told that if you want to kill beavers you need to set out a lantern at night over the water discharge and sit there with a shotgun and eventually he'll show up. You know what you do next. The conservation agent told me this. All I was supposed to do was call him to let him know every time I shot one. It was ok to do it any time of the year but I'd check with your local guy first before trying it. Good Luck. [/rquote]

Thanks for the moral support. By the way I grew up in Raymore, the last name is Davis. I couldn't really see your face in the picture to see if I know you? Although, Raymore has blown up fast over the last few years, I don't seem to know very many people in town anymore.

The beaver seem to always show up when I don't have my gun. I was fishing earlier this year on the strip pit and a darn otter jumped the dam, from one pit, to the one I was fishing. The otter popped his head out looked right at me, and disappeared under water. He was probably eating on the golden shiners I stocked the week before? The otters are coming from the river a few miles down the rd. , don't know how you would ever control them, but would be nice to see what suffers in the traps. Their are beaver slides all over and I worry about holes being punched into the side of the dams. [/rquote]

I grew up in Blue Springs and Raytown. I moved from OP to Raymore 3 years ago. Nice little town.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Sure wish you were closer

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
[rquote=1508180&tid=105055&author=walnutcreekoutfitters]Thanks a million MWT members! I've had a gentlemen contact me by email to potentially come and trap some critters. :claphands:

Thanks again for spreading the word.[/rquote]

Let me know if you're contact is interested in trapping for beavers on another property in the same area. Friend's duck club is overrun with beavers that plug up their drainage pipe and keep water on their timber during the spring/summer...not good for the timber. They go down multiple times per week to unplug the pipe. The beavers are dropping trees that are 10-12" in diameter...never seen anything like it in person before.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[rquote=1510138&tid=105055&author=buxNdux][rquote=1508180&tid=105055&author=walnutcreekoutfitters]Thanks a million MWT members! I've had a gentlemen contact me by email to potentially come and trap some critters. :claphands:

Thanks again for spreading the word.[/rquote]

Let me know if you're contact is interested in trapping for beavers on another property in the same area. Friend's duck club is overrun with beavers that plug up their drainage pipe and keep water on their timber during the spring/summer...not good for the timber. They go down multiple times per week to unplug the pipe. The beavers are dropping trees that are 10-12" in diameter...never seen anything like it in person before.[/rquote]

The gentlemen (trapper) lives South of Butler, MO. He knows my neighbors and seems like a nice guy. We're suppose to link up this Saturday if the ice breaks from the water? I'll tell him about your buddies property and keep you informed. What town does the duck club reside?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
They are near Amoret. Let me know what you find. I'll have to pass the word on to them. They were interested in finding someone to getr rid of them beavers at one point but don't think they ever looked too hard. Thanks :cheers:

[Edited on 12/16/2009 by buxNdux]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[rquote=1511851&tid=105055&author=buxNdux]They are near Amoret. Let me know what you find. I'll have to pass the word on to them. They were interested in finding someone to getr rid of them beavers at one point but don't think they ever looked too hard. Thanks :chers:[/rquote]

Great! I'll keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts