need your score opinion!!

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by Moonshiner, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Moonshiner

Moonshiner New Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Johnson County
    I don't know how to do it correctly, I got around 137 after 15" of deductions. Honestly figured he'd bring more, taxi will give me a better idea later this week

Attached Files:

2. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    I'd say your pretty close, nice buck congrats!

3. Charger

Charger Member

What were the deductions for?

4. Ozarks-Bowhunter

Ozarks-Bowhunter Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2006
    Southern Missouri
    Several inches of deductions on that dude but who cares. I never have figured deductions on any of our deer. Good looking buck.

DCSarchette likes this.
  5. jparrish

jparrish Member

Oct 29, 2012
    NEMO
    I hate deductions. Makes no sense to me. I like to be happy about inches. Great deer and congrats.

DCSarchette likes this.
  6. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Missing a 7 inch g4, but I really don't see another 8 inches of deductions, but maybe. Either way I'd say you're close, looks like a 140" class deer.

Lots of tv and internet hunters like to throw big numbers out there without even measuring them. I think that skews people's baseline when guessing the score. When the tape comes out the truth comes out.

Either way it's a great buck, on a tv show they'd call him a 160.

7. Dafish

Dafish Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    St. Peters

Looks like the right G2 is a few inches shorter the the left

Brow times off an inch or two
    G3 right is longer then the left
    the extra point, a good hatchet will knock that off :wave:

main beams can be off a little, then you have 8 circumference measurements

it all adds up.... I would have shot him....

8. cy912

cy912 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Whoever came up with "deductions" was a complete id!0t. I mean how are you NOT gonna count something that's right there staring you in the face. It's as if we're suppose to pretend the extra inches of bone don't exist. The most retarded way to measure. That's why I only care about gross score. EVERY inch of bone counts.

MtnMan1 and DCSarchette like this.
  9. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    While not necessarily a fan of the whole scoring thing to begin with..... I do understand the intent of deductions. They are there to indicate symmetry in the rack. A deer with little or no deductions, should tend to be more symmetrical than a deer with a lot of deductions. That said, if your don't like them, and don't care about overall symmetry in the rack, then don't worry about net score.... It's only going to be important, if having your deer registered in some book is important to you. And, it's their book, so it's their rules.

Other than that, it's a very nice buck, and I'd sure be happy with him. As Rob says, a nine point is really just an 8 point, with a deduction.... :D

Great deer, congrats! :eek::

10. bajabill

bajabill BDR529

Feb 16, 2012
    East Central MO
    that is a solid 9, not an oops 9 that is much more common.

We see those more commonly in younger deer developing their antler shape, not deer with a heavy rack as yours. I like him.

11. Moonshiner

Moonshiner New Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Johnson County
    I'm extremely pleased with the deer, he's my first big missouri buck since moving up here and he's gonna join my others on the living room wall

DCSarchette likes this.
  12. MJO21

MJO21 Active Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Union, MO
    137" + 15" == 152"

deductions add character and beauty, so F@$& deductions !!!!

DCSarchette likes this.
  13. Moonshiner

Moonshiner New Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Johnson County
    Just looking at him I thought for sure he'd be mid to upper 140's. 150's sound even better!

14. Hunter71

Hunter71 Active Member

Jun 10, 2009
    saline county
  15. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    agree, great buck, have scored and share! 140 all in is my guess as well.

16. cy912

cy912 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    The only deductions I like are those I get when doing income taxes. But if measuring antlers, symmetry means nothing to me. It's all about how much bone is on that deer's head.

Here's why deductions are stupid. If you shoot a clean 8 , and he happens to grow a 10 inch drop tine....by rule....the drop tine doesn't "count". It doesn't exist. You get ZERO credit for one of the most rare things to happen to a set of antlers. I still have yet to even see a drop tine on a live wild bucks antlers. And I've been hunting over 25 years. Lots of big bucks, but no drop tines.

17. MAJORTOM

MAJORTOM Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2006
    At work as usual
    I'd say your pretty close but need more pics to make a determination. :D

He's a dandy!!! Congrats!!!

18. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I understand, and believe there are a lot of holes in the whole scoring system, but they are those organizations scoring systems, and I guess they can make the rules how ever they want... :shrug:

I don't put much stock into these scoring systems, most of us know what a big deer is when we see one. I don't need a score sheet to help me with that. This is of course just my opinion on the subject, as a lot of people are totally into the whole thing.... :shrug: And, that's just fine too...:wave:

peanut903 likes this.
  19. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    Score the 8 pt frame, then add drop tine and wala non typical score!!

20. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Grancel Fitz, Dr. James L. Clark, Samuel B. Webb, Dr. Harold Anthony, Milford Baker and Frederick Barbour.....

Yea, real idiots.....:confused: