Need some input on freezing cherrys

Discussion in 'Just Good Food' started by riverbottomhunter, May 29, 2009.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    In the past I have always gave our cherry's to a neighbor and he would make some kick butt wine for us.
    This year our cherry trees are LOADED. This year instead of giving all of the cherrys away I am wanting to freeze some to use throughout the year.
    What is the best way I should freeze them? Should I just put them in gallon zip lock freezer bags or should I try to vaccum seal them? Or is there a better way? Also should I freeze them with the pits in or out? When pitting the cherrys should I cut the cherrys in half to get the pit out, or pinch the pit out keeping the cherry in one piece?

Next question. Does anyone have a good cherry pie recipe that calls for fresh picked cherrys they would like to share with me?

2. Ginger

Ginger Administrator Staff Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Chariton County
    You can just freeze them whole in ziplocs. Otherwise if you're wanting to do all the work upfront you can cook them with some syrup and can them.

3. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    should I pit them or just rinse them off, throw them in the bag and freeze them?

4. Ginger

Nov 23, 2003
    Chariton County
    I'd wait to pitt them, but it will work either way. Just toss them in a bag, I usually try to get most of the air out and make sure not to overload the bags so that they will lay flat. Easier to store that way, and then when you need some you don't have to thaw out a huge amount if you don't need them.

5. MrsRebel

MrsRebel New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ozark, MO
    this is a recipe from cfrazee_mo that will be in the cookbook

Pie Crust Recipe

2 cups all purp. Flour
    1/2 cup Butter falvored Crisco
    1 tsp white vinager
    1 dash cheyenne Pepper
    4-6 Tbsp ice water

Put in bowl and cut together. Let rest 20 minutes and roll and cut. Will make 1 crust for 9" pie pan

Cherry Pie

4 cups FRESH cherried pitted
    3/4 cups sugar
    2 tbls flour
    1 tbls uncooked tapioca
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tbsp salted cream butter

Mix everything but butter in bowl pour into 9 inch pie crust. Cut butter into small pieces and put on top. Cover with another pie crust. Poke holes in pie crust. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 25 minutes. Pull out of oven, rub butter on top crust and sprinkle with sugar. Put back in oven for 5 minutes and remove!

6. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Thanks.
    When you pit them do you cut them in half or just pinch the pit out

7. Ginger

Nov 23, 2003
    Chariton County
    Think the last ones I did I just pinched it out. Just try to catch all the juices in a bowl to throw back in with the cherries when your done pitting them.

8. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    NC
    As with many things cooking-related, I like Alton Browns method. This one is for strawberries, but will work for cherries as well I am sure:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/frozen-strawberries-recipe/index.html

The dry ice is a simple extra step, but hastens the freeze on the berry. If I recall, the reason is to prevent ice crystals from forming within the berry, which will break the cells inside causing mushier berries with some juice loss.