Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read so many of your stories stories about bow hunting. The experience sounds remarkable. I am thinking about turning from novicehunter to novicebowhunter. So, I have looked at bows on paper, but not in stores. So, what do all those numbers mean? The weight, pull, different cams etc. Is there a website that may explain all this? At this time, my intention is to buy a used bow locally or off Ebay to practice with and use this season. If I enjoy it, I will work towards buying a new bow for future seasons. So, can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in a starter bow?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
There will be folks that will help you out MUCH more than I.....but what I suggest you do is visit a local pro shop during this off season. Go in there at a mid-busy time for the off season (4PM and hang around), and just start chatting with some folks. Watch what others are having done to their bows, etc. Then talk to the pro shop, and they will at least be able to line you out with a good draw length. You NEED to know this before purchasing a bow from somewhere else. It will be much easier for a proshop to run you through the numbers on a bow than someone trying to explain it here.

If you decide to get a bow off of the internet, I would suggest that you take a look at archerytalk.com WAY before Ebay.

Happy Hunting!

Parker

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
Parker gives good advice....and I believe it's a good idea to try a used bow this year, see how ya like it!!! Welcome to bowhunting, you won't ever be sorry ya made the move!!!

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
I've got a few great used bows if you are intereseted. I can send you pics. Let me know.

BTH

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Going to a pro shop is the way to go if you ask me!

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
what they said

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have a little different take. (Suprise.)

First, I'd look into the links that Venatic provided.
Second, READ! And read lots. Any kind of Bowhunting/Archery material you can get your hands on. Then read some more.
Third, Find a "buddy" so to speak. Check for a local archery club etc. IF you have one, go to a meeting. You will meet someone there willing to help you get started.

archerytalk.com was mentioned. It is a great site. However, I can almost guarantee you that you can get a more quality answer to any question you might have right here.

Now, as far as going to an archery shop and hanging out, that may not be a completely bad idea, but it sure isn't the first thing I'd do. Unless of course it is the only way you have to make contact with people who shoot.

When I walk into an archery shop, I walk in and act like I've never picked up a bow before if it is my first time in that shop.. (Keep in the back of your mind, their goal is to sell you something, nothing wrong with that.) I can tell you, MORE OFTEN THAN NOT when I approach a shop like this I have had someone try to sell me something that would have been a poor choice, just because (1) they didn't know what they were doing, and (2) their mission is to SELL something to everyone that walks in the door. Here's the funny part, I STILL have people trying to sell me stuff that (1) I don't need, and (2) are poor choices EVEN AFTER they know that I might accidently know what I am talking about. That is nuts, but it happens all the time.

Bottom line. I AM NOT trying to devalue the contribution the shops make, or paint the shops with a broad brush because there are lots of good ones out there. I am just trying to caution you that just because the guy behind the counter says you need it, don't make it so. AND a lot of what you will hear in an archery shop is BS so it may not be the best place to get your info. But then again, it could be.

Sorry to be so long winded.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,468 Posts
Surely there is someone on this site that has connections in the St. Louis area. I agree a lot with what DSG said. There is as much bad information in a pro shop as there is good. I've been out of the loop to long to recomend a shop. The closest shop I could recomend is Butch Outdoor World in Palmyra. But it's been 6 years since I've shot competion. There were very few bow mechanics I would even allow to touch my bows. Butch personally, I would have allowed. Depending on how outgoing you are, you might try showing up at a 3D shoot & talking with some of the guys there. The guys handing out score cards & working the cook shack have nothing to do after everyone hits the range. Even if they're not the most knowlegable guy in the club, I bet they can point him out. Join a 3D club & you'll be amazed at how quickly your up to speed in a tree stand with a bow.

As a novice, I would recomend not buying a bow off of ebay until you have a better understanding of what draw length you need, & what weight your comfortable with. The most important thing is draw length in my opinion. There has been more cases of target panic develop because guys tried to overbow than you can shake a stick at. I believe it is better to be a 1/2" short on draw than 1/2" long. Speed is not everything, especially if your hunting. Most deer are shot under 25 yds.

Good luck & as you start learning & have more questions, fire away, I still remember a few things.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is a certain meathod to my madness. As far as the research, I think I will go to a bow shop to find out what is best for me, pull length and pull weight etc.

As for the bow, I hope to by one on Ebay. I am a recycler... I sell my un-used treasures and buy new ones all through paypal and Ebay. I don't really have to outlay cash, just divert my paypal account money. Two years ago, I bought a night vision monoccular thinking that I would use it walk into my stand in the pitch dark. Didn't work nearly like I thought, now it's collecting dust. I would need to spend lots of money on a generation 5 night vision device to really make that work out. Then, I come to find out they are also illegal to have with you while you hunt! I will sell it and reinvest that money on a bow.

Why do I really want to bow hunt... I want the opportunity to scout deer and spend time in my stand in various areas in the early season. Kind of like pre-season hunt. Naturally, I could just sit there an observe, but if a nice one came along, I would want a chance at taking it.Z

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
Originally posted by Roscoe Dog
Mikes bait and Tackle in St Peters is a good place to go. He might have some used bows that you would like to start with.
If you go to mikes, be prepared to consider Mathews bows.

Not that this is wrong or anything.. just so ya know.

Great folks at Mikes.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,218 Posts
I just came back from Mike's. My son just bought a new Mathews. Mike will talk with you and help you out. If you don't a Mathews, that's okay. He's easy to talk to and he's not a pushy salesman.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
a guy just getting into bow hunting should consider a few things.
1- cost
2- he may not like it (doughtful)
3- cost
4- bad form (you will have it)
5- cost

my suggestion (somebody may cream me on this) is to go with an older
round cam bow with plenty of brace height, and fairly long axel to axel.
slow and easy to shoot.
if you go with a harder cam bow just starting out you might get
discouraged because they are harder to shoot, form is too important,
release, etc.
my first hunting bow was a pse polaris, got it because it was cheap.
man could i shoot that thing. now shooting a jacked up thing.
i kind of wish for that bow back sometimes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would use Archerytalk.com or Bowsite.com classified sections before e-bay. I have got some nice trades off of Archerytalk. There is feedback section so as to check out who you are dealing with too.
As far as the night vision monocular, you can list that on either site also with no charge to list it or if it sales. It is all FREE! That makes it more inviting to me than E-bay.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
archerytalk.com was mentioned. It is a great site. However, I can almost guarantee you that you can get a more quality answer to any question you might have right here.
DSG,

I mentioned archerytalk for buying a bow, saying it would be a better place to go than ebay for selction. I'm SURE not trying to get anyone to go hang out over there, cause that would mean less time that they would be hanging out here! :D

Parker

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.