Need some advice Dead or alive

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by MOAB, Nov 8, 2010.

1. MOAB

MOAB Active Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Well, friday was my best and worst sit on stand ever. I had 8 bucks, 3 of which were shooters in the 5 acre patch of timber I was hunting. I have been getting pictures of an 8 point I call Curly, well he showed up friday morning and presented me with a 32 yd shot. 32 yds is a chip shot for me or at least I thought! Well when I punched the button on this buck, he drop a bunch. I hit him way high, when he spun and took off, I could see about 12-15 inch of arrow sticking out of him, It appeared the arrow was just below the spine, as a matter of fact when I saw him take off I said to myself how did he not drop in his tracks (I thought as high as the shot was I should have hit him square in the spine). I new it wasn't good and backed out immediately. Awhile later we (me and a buddy) found blood and followed it for 150-200 yds, not much blood at all. A drop here and a drop there. We followed blood up to where he ended up jumping the fence into a cow pasture where we eventually lost blood completely. We combed through the obvious places and never found this buck. I have killed plenty of deer with a bow and this is only the 2nd deer I haven't found. Man does it make me sick. My question to you is How high is too high? Do you think this deer is dead or alive?

2. Stud Hunter

Stud Hunter Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Blue Springs, Mo
    I feel your pain!! Hang in there and shoot a bigger one!!:cheers:

3. yankee

yankee Senior Member

tough call really, he may very well eventually die, yet these animals are resilient enough to survive bad hits, it depends on what was hit when the arrow penetrated, sorry for the bad luck you experienced, it happens to the best of them at times..

4. bowhuntKS

bowhuntKS King of the White Ninjas

Sep 11, 2006
    KS
    I'm going with alive...

5. MOAB

MOAB Active Member

Aug 11, 2010
    [rquote=1885310&tid=131341&author=bowhuntKS]I'm going with alive...[/rquote]

I hope you are right....I hope he walks out opening morning of rifle season in front of my wife and she puts him down!

6. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Seems to me you may be too high...and not high enough to cut the femoral artery(fatal).

7. 160983

160983 Guest

Alive. Wouldn't be surprised you see him again with the arrow gone and his fur matted up with clotted blood.

8. skull stacker

skull stacker Active Member

Sep 3, 2008
    SEMO
    I shot one in 2004 just like this, mine was a complete pass through but high like you discribed.(He came in to close) Never found him, I watched him walk off about 175 yards and he acted like he wasn't even hit. wasn't much blood on the arrow and he only dropped a few here and there. at first I figured he was bleeding internally and I went out several mornings looking and listen for the yotes but nothing. The next year a neighbor about a mile down the road killed 150 ten point with a hole on both sides of his upper back. Deer looked really healthy and had grow a nice rack. I'm going for alive.

9. Hannibal Bowhunter

Hannibal Bowhunter Active Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Hannibal, MO
    Sounds like muscle bleeding to me (been there). He'll most likely be fine and who knows, maybe you'll get another chance at him.

10. daltonbrame

daltonbrame New Member

Feb 26, 2009
    i think he is dead u jus pushed him too early if u hit below the spine there is a spot were u do not kill them at all in between the vitals and nthe spine and if u hit above the spine u might not of but the u explained it i think u killed him u jushed pushed him to early how long did u wait after goin to try to track him.

11. angus

angus Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Salem
    I hit one almost the same way 5 or 6 years ago, kept going back at night listening for yotes.. 2 weeks later I got pics of him working a scrape, with a big nasty hole at the top of his shoulder, looked all matted and festered up. Wondered if he would make it through winter, and then got pics of him the next fall with a funny looking cow-lick right where the arrow had hit him, hair had grown back over the scar but was all twisted and funky looking, and he appeared to be healthy and no worse for wear. Id say hes alive.

12. starling shooter

starling shooter New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    high hits are usually not fatal. If you didn't hit kidey, spine or main artery...which obviously you didn't...he'll be ok

13. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    The top aprox. 1/3 of a deer is nonfatal. That is nothing but muscle. I have been there and done that. That top 1/3 is backstrap.

You will usually get incomplete penatration of the arrow with this shot. You will usually get one of two types of blood. Either almost no blood OR decent bright red (muscle) blood for 150-200 yards and then nothing. The spine is about 5-6" BELOW the hair line on a deer! It is NOT right on top of the deers back.

The deer will usually survive with nothing but a sore back.

BUT no matter where you hit you still need to look for the deer to the best of your ability. You did that. You waited several hour on a questionable shot in your mind. That is exactly what you should have done. You also are bothered by the fact that you were unable to recover a hit deer. These actions shows us a LOT about you as a hunter and a man! When hitting deer and not recovering then stops bothering you and or you do not try hard to recover a hit animal is when a hunter has a problem. You did everything right! All of this is just my humble opinion.

You have done everything you can after the shot. Go back out and try to get a deer....

thanks
    citori

14. MoBowHunter

MoBowHunter New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Central Missouri
    sounds like loin hit to me.

15. sambo3006

sambo3006 Active Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Christian County
    The chest cavity actually narrows down quite a bit around the shoulder area and the spinal cord drops down along the top of it. If you look at some deer anatomy charts you will see what I am referring to. More than likely you hit above the spine in the spinous processes which would explain the lack of penetration and scarce blood. Barring infection it is probably a nonfatal wound. It sucks but it happens. It happened to me once, I watched the buck walk off about 300 yards through an open field. Very little blood on his side and only a few drops on the ground.

16. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    32 yards is a chip shot:eek:no such thing as a gimmie in hunting, bow or gun. Good luck.

17. MOAB

MOAB Active Member

Aug 11, 2010
    [rquote=1885826&tid=131341&author=20 feet high]32 yards is a chip shot:eek:no such thing as a gimmie in hunting, bow or gun. Good luck.[/rquote]

Im just talking when it comes to shooting in gerenal. When you can make a group of 6 arrows touch at 30-40 yds consistantly, it makes me confident when shooting that distance. You can't control what the deer does. You can only control your shooting abilities. That is what I am talking about when I say chip shot. You are correct, no shot is a gimmie when it comes to deer hunting!

18. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    [rquote=1885888&tid=131341&author=Merten][rquote=1885826&tid=131341&author=20 feet high]32 yards is a chip shot:eek:no such thing as a gimmie in hunting, bow or gun. Good luck.[/rquote]

Im just talking when it comes to shooting in gerenal. When you can make a group of 6 arrows touch at 30-40 yds consistantly, it makes me confident when shooting that distance. You can't control what the deer does. You can only control your shooting abilities. That is what I am talking about when I say chip shot. You are correct, no shot is a gimmie when it comes to deer hunting![/rquote]

I was not piling on when you are down. That is awesome shooting for sure, I can't seem to get my 20 yards to touch! 30 yards in the woods is can be real tough with the small twigs and such. That buck very well may come by you again, good luck.