Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys i need some help i have a Moultrie game cam with a 35 mill camera it has only take one or two full rolls of film 2 yrs old. Now it takes pics dont forward because it takes pics over pics or just dosent have anything just big blobs can i replace this with a digital and where might i purchase one all help really needed thanks, semohuntingguy

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Stealth Cams take really good pictures, but they have a slow trigger speed........ I don't think I'd trade them in though.

My .02, don't spend the money on any of them that have the viewing window. Its a waste of time because you can't really see the good detail on them. And this means that you're standing at your cam, not getting the card and getting out.

You need 2 memory cards too, so you can just swap them and move on.

You may want to see if pinwheel has a home brew left. He uses Sony cameras, and the pics turn out EXCELLENT. He'll be out of reach for the next week though.

I can't say that I can reccommend any other kind of cam. I have not heard of any of them running above and beyond another one. Some folks like Cuddebacks.

Parker

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well after rereading this parker and your answer about which and thank you very much for i was wanting to use my exisiting box and all and just replace camera use everything else and get a digital

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by semohuntingguy
well after rereading this parker and your answer about which and thank you very much for i was wanting to use my exisiting box and all and just replace camera use everything else and get a digital
Oops, sorry SEMO. You need to talk with pinwheel. He'll get you set up in the right direction.

Parker

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would just invest in the new 3.1 megapixel cam from Moultrie(200), They have good trigger time, takes great pics or videos and you can get one with a rechargeable battery, solar panel, and shipped to your door for about$180.00 if u know who to buy it from. I had one just like you have got and I didn't care for it, and moved up to Moultrie's 1.3 digital and was not happy with it. I was very skeptical on Moultrie's deer cams after that and wasn't planning on ever getting another one until some folks started posting there deer cam pics on the new Moultrie 200, here in the trail cam section, and told me that the trigger time problem the old Moultrie's had was fixed. They were right, and I couldn't be happier with my investments, they have already payed for themselves twice! The solar panel only has to catch the sun for an hour or so a day and the battery always stays at 99% charged so no more dead battery. Just make sure you save your wallet as much $$$ as u can, but don't be to cheap. After all you get what you pay for, and if I could pay for it(and the wife would let me) I would have 3 brand new cuddeback's right now instead of Moultrie's. But my wallet and wife says NO! Good luck on what ever you decide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The moultrie gamespy 100 has updated to 2.1 megapixels and you can pick it up at walmart for $100. It uses rechargables, a sd card, takes great video and has a desent trigger time. It's not a cuddeback but I would rather have 4 gamespy's compared to one cuddeback for the same price. If you have the money the infrared cameras (no flash) are incredible. They will last months on one set of batteries and take a natural night pic without scaring the deer. If you do go for a gamespy 100 make sure that it's a 2.1 megapixel there are still some old 1.3 megapixels out there selling for the same price. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Originally posted by semohuntingguy
Wont work, just to be blunt about it...Sorry..for one, Most if not all commercial cams have an electronic type trigger from the sensor to shutter the camera...if you do that to a normal camera, digital or otherwise you will fry it..all the cameras on the shelf that you look at in say walmart shutter picture through Grounding...and IF your cam did have a common ground to trigger it, you would still most likely never find a camera off the shelf that you could use and have the flash hole and lens hole line up correctly..probably not even close.

What i sugest you do is, throw that thing away or send it back to get worked on and fixed...not likely because they use up all thier cams and cases and move on, they want to sell you another cam year after year. so, go to http://www.hagshouse.com and look up everything on the BG2 control board, Yeti board, Snapshot Sniper board (SSS) and either a Sony DSC-P32 or Sony DSC-P41 camera and build your own, then if something goes wrong, you can actually fix it without having to buy a whole new cam.

The BG2 control board...Will run for 9 months on a single 9vdc battery...actually it will run for over a year, i have been testing one for that long on the same battery, but the Developer of this board wants to advertise it at 9 months to be conservative.

If you want to go with IR cam, you want to look at either the P32 or P41. the best cam for this is the Olympus D-380, go with a slave flash and a Wein peanut slave trigger along with the BG2 control board as it will also double as a slave controller, it keeps the slave flash Capacitor topped off at night only, cutting battery use in half for it, and use a external Slave flash with IR filter over it to stop the white flash..if you buy a commercial cam in the IR style..personally you are making a huge mistake..They use IR leds instead of a flash..this means the LEDs come on, the cam shutters the picture and then the LEDs turn off...the hole time the animal could be moving and what you end up with is slightly blurred pics at best and mostly pictures that are so blurred you cannot make heads or tails out of them..a flash is much better as a flash freezes movement in the dark..beleive me, i have tried this as well as many others, it was tested and adjusted to death 2-3 full years before the commercial market came out with it, they always seem to be just a couple years behind the homebrew guys..the homebrew guys had digital game cams 2 years before any came out commercially..Smart folks making it easy for you to have better.

Now if you just want to buy a cam...Pinwheel is the guy you need to talk to, he will set you up with the best you can buy for the money :cheers:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have been shopping for a cam to replace the Stealth WD-1 that was stolen while I had it overlooking a mineral lick on our farm. I did not want to spend a lot in case of another theft, and I need it to have a fast trigger time because now I will set in on a trail (much less conspicuous than over a lick or feeder, hopefully to avert another theft). Anyway, there is a fantastic website devoted to trail cameras. Check out:

Chasingame.com

Trying to stay under $125 or so, I tried out the Wildview 2.0, and the Moultrie 1.3 and 2.1 MP models--none of them worked satisfactorily for me. So, based on a tremendous number of excellent reviews on Chasingame, I have ordered a Bushnell Trail Sentry 2.1 (great price of $119.99 with free shipping at Opticsplanet.com). It has a sub-one second trigger time, and it runs on four "D" cells, but I am going to adapt it to use an external 6 volt rechargeable to get extended field time. That unit takes SD memory cards, which are very affordable (you can get 512 MB cards for $10 or $12 if you shop around on the web). Check out all the recent threads at Chasingame about the Bushnell and I think you might be sold on it as I am.

Anyway, I research stuff like crazy and really shop around before I fork out my $$$, and I just wanted to throw in my two cents and let you know what I have concluded.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Have you contacted moultry about the problem??? we had one that did almost the same,and they sent us a new one,I think they paid for shipping the old one to them ,Its worth a try,I believe it was about 2-3 years old at the time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.