need input

Discussion in 'Bass' started by JBMan, Apr 28, 2006.

1. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    here is a work in progress. i need to know what else i should add to this little brain child to make it a solid fly

its supposed to be a frog popper imitation

materials are, 1 red fether, 1 1" long piece of chenile, 1 ear plug, and 1 clump of marabou on a standard #4 aberdeen hook

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Looks good. Possibly might add small stripe on the side or even small spots. :eek:

3. Hey JbMan. Ear plugs, eh? What a great idea! I was wondering how the floating part could be done without having to go buy something else. I suggest you tie on a couple rubber band legs on too. Right in the middle of the hook!

I ended up tying crawdads over the winter - I used some window cover plastic to make the shell back and my wife's 'hard as nails' for the shine and to make it more durable. The eyes is 30# monofilament melted on the ends. The tails is made out of the blue/green parts of wild turkey feathers and the pinchers are pheasant feathers. The legs are hackle and the thread is heavy duty coat thread. I think the hook s smaller the 1/0 because I tied this one for my fly rod. The fly could be tied bigger and heavier with some lead wrap for use with a spincast too.

Suggestions are appreciated! See pic.

Attached Files:

4. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Looks great Net.........:wave:

5. Vector

Vector VECtor Custom Calls

Feb 11, 2003
    N/C MO
    OH CRRRRUD NET! That thing looks AWESOME! :wave:

JB,

I'd work on coming up with a white, lighter colored style too! Cool man! :cheers:

Parker

6. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    i must admit, that shore is a nice 'dad you tie there!

but heres a suggestion just to give it a little more flash and a little more weight, take a strand of copper wire out of a piece of speaker wire and rib the shell with it and tie off near the end.

7. vulcan2

vulcan2 New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Missouri hills
    It needs a couple back legs and a couple eye balls. I've tied several fly rod poppers and I use small corks, just carefully split to center with a knife, slide the hood shank in and apply a drop of super glue. They work good. Maybe a piece of inner tube tied so they lay somewhat forward at rest, move him a little and it will look like he's kickin.

Have fun, and happy fishin

V2

8. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    It needs some rubberband legs coming out of each side. At least three on each side. Drill a hole or cut a slit on the bottom deep enough to slip in pieces of rubber band and superglue in place. And put some black eyeballs on it.

9. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    i'll definatly give these ideas a try as soon as i can wear out a few more pairs from work. thanks for the help fellas:wave:

10. vulcan2

vulcan2 New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Missouri hills
    Hey Mailman, 3 legs out each side, I throught this was suppose to be a frog popper?????? man you got some freaky frogs where you live, do they glow in the dark too. :rotfl:

happy fishin'

V2

11. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    now if its 2 sets of back legs! im all for a little mercury poisoning:hysterical::hysterical:

12. JBMan

JBMan New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Jackson
    just tried out my little brain storm and it works quite well, caught and released 12 bass under a pound out at a local farm pond.

i will say this, the sucker sure does chug when brought across the water!!!:cheers: