Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is a work in progress. i need to know what else i should add to this little brain child to make it a solid fly

its supposed to be a frog popper imitation

materials are, 1 red fether, 1 1" long piece of chenile, 1 ear plug, and 1 clump of marabou on a standard #4 aberdeen hook

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Looks good. Possibly might add small stripe on the side or even small spots. :eek:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hey JbMan. Ear plugs, eh? What a great idea! I was wondering how the floating part could be done without having to go buy something else. I suggest you tie on a couple rubber band legs on too. Right in the middle of the hook!

I ended up tying crawdads over the winter - I used some window cover plastic to make the shell back and my wife's 'hard as nails' for the shine and to make it more durable. The eyes is 30# monofilament melted on the ends. The tails is made out of the blue/green parts of wild turkey feathers and the pinchers are pheasant feathers. The legs are hackle and the thread is heavy duty coat thread. I think the hook s smaller the 1/0 because I tied this one for my fly rod. The fly could be tied bigger and heavier with some lead wrap for use with a spincast too.

Suggestions are appreciated! See pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Looks great Net.........:wave:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
OH CRRRRUD NET! That thing looks AWESOME! :wave:

JB,

I'd work on coming up with a white, lighter colored style too! Cool man! :cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i must admit, that shore is a nice 'dad you tie there!

but heres a suggestion just to give it a little more flash and a little more weight, take a strand of copper wire out of a piece of speaker wire and rib the shell with it and tie off near the end.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It needs a couple back legs and a couple eye balls. I've tied several fly rod poppers and I use small corks, just carefully split to center with a knife, slide the hood shank in and apply a drop of super glue. They work good. Maybe a piece of inner tube tied so they lay somewhat forward at rest, move him a little and it will look like he's kickin.

Have fun, and happy fishin

V2

·
Registered
70,470 Posts
It needs some rubberband legs coming out of each side. At least three on each side. Drill a hole or cut a slit on the bottom deep enough to slip in pieces of rubber band and superglue in place. And put some black eyeballs on it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'll definatly give these ideas a try as soon as i can wear out a few more pairs from work. thanks for the help fellas:wave:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey Mailman, 3 legs out each side, I throught this was suppose to be a frog popper?????? man you got some freaky frogs where you live, do they glow in the dark too. :rotfl:

happy fishin'

V2

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now if its 2 sets of back legs! im all for a little mercury poisoning:hysterical::hysterical:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just tried out my little brain storm and it works quite well, caught and released 12 bass under a pound out at a local farm pond.

i will say this, the sucker sure does chug when brought across the water!!!:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.