Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my grandma decided today to hand over my grandpas favorite bird gun to me,,,woooooooohoooooooooooo

its a winchester model 50 20g with improved cylinder gun,,,i know it was manufactured in 1959 from da serial number,,,i dont know if it is field grade, skeet grade or pigeon grade,,,,

the barrel appears to not be blued but kinda between blued and stainless,,,any help would be appreciated,,,this gun is in great shape for how old it is

i feel pretty blessed to have this gun passed down to me in my family,,,my grandpa was an avid bird hunter

thanks

·
Registered
69,553 Posts
From the pictures it looks to be a field grade. The bluing on those old winchesters fade with usage to almost a nickle color. Looks like he really liked that shotgun from the usage marks on the stock. Don't refinish it like some do when they get Grandpas gun. Keep it just the way it is in the picture. You've got a good basic bird gun with that improved cylinder. Love those 20 gauge autos. You got a keeper there.:2thumbsup:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
That's a nice gun....

I'm with Mailman. Don't ever get it refinished. Just keep it oiled and use a light coating of pledge on the wood from time to time. And the blueing on my Model 94 30-30 has done the same as yours. It was made in around 1953. The process used then was kinda similar I think to the case hardening process.

From my brief knowledge of grades, it has to do with how "fancy" the gun is. Engraving, etc. Some also may have to do with stock configurations, etc, for the intended usage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that makes sense heeler,,,the only thing i plan on doing is getting it professionally cleaned,,,not refinished,,,it will always keep the history in da wood,,,it hasnt been shot in about 17yrs,,,

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
yep, I'd say a good cleaning and you should be good to go. Can't wait for you to get to try it out again.

I have one of my Grandpa's old guns that I need to get checked out. It's a Winchester Model 1901 lever-action 10 gauge. Hasn't been shot since I can remember, but everything works on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah,,everything works on the this,,,,be good times to go out in da field again and shoot some birdies

·
blu bogart
22,197 Posts
Good looking gun.:woot:I wouldn't take it waterfowling though......some older guns metal isn't hard enough for steel shot.....from what I heard.I take from your post it's going to be a upland bird gun.....perfect for that with the I/C choke IMO.Are you taking it to a gunsmith to get it cleaned and checked out?Ask him if it would be safe to shoot steel out of it.....I'd like to know what he say's.Glad it was a hand down from your grandpa.....hope to be able to hand mine down too.:rock:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it will be used for upland birds only,,,i will ask about steel shot through it,,,just getting a good cleaning and looky loo on da shotgun

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
NO STEEL, for that Model 50, they were built for light weight, not waterfowling.

Heeler, those old 1901s are neat, the Chinese are making a 12 gauge copy now, so if you desire to shoot it, better chase one of the Chinese ones down, I don't think they make 10 gauge 2 7/8" shells any more, so ammo would be hard to find. The 1887 copy the Chinese make is really popular in Australia, where the stupid laws forbid automatics and pumpguns, so the only repeaters they can own are the leverguns (the lawmakers missed those when writing the law) and boltaction shotguns, the leverguns got real popular real fast. They use them for wild hogs and some kinds of deer, they scope them and everything.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
nice old shotgun there, and i agree with what everyone has already stated. however i will say since this is a family heirloom and will never be sold, if the wood is looking as bad as it apears in the photo's i myself would have no issue with steel wooling it down and putting a couple coats of tong oil into it and bring back some color/luster without making it look completely refinished. i love the patenia look of the steel, it's a fine shotgun to have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts