Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don tknow what else i can do. i cant afford to hire a trainer...

I lve my dog,,,,,, but i dont like him very much right now..........

I have worked with him and worked with him.. he is always getting into stuff to the point i cant have him in the house. with out and chasing him around. I take him hunting and he chases any thing beside what were there to do.

just today we went duck hunting. the first place i went was frozen solid and i could not break through. so then we went some where else. and found open water but it had some decoys out...

so while were looking for a place to go i find the owner of the decoys, he has 2 cripples out on the ice and no dog..

here my chance my dogs first live retreive so i mark him and give him his go command he wont go.

so pick up a rock and throw it. he runs across the ice and brings back the rock.

so i pick up a stick land it 1 ft from the duck. he brings back the stick.

beer bottle he brings back the beer bottle.

so some else has now rounded the lake and picked up the 1st duck and calls my dog to the 2nd duck he is standing next to it and wont pick it up, this guy picks he duck up and tosses it 1 ft my duck picks it up and comes al the way back to me. ok there's hope...

another duck gets shot send no go. rock and i get a rock back.

damn i going home now he is running around like a puppy (HE"S 4) tring to take dead ducks out of ppls hands. we ge to the parking lot and he takes off after a GD rabbitt and wont come back. i have to go get him.

so know red face and dont want to go back i put his stupid back in the truck and come home.

I have tried the gun dog book water dog book and dvd i just dont know what else to do...

sorry so wordy but i almost just laft the dog there,,, but didn't want to ruin any one elses day...

·
Registered
16,730 Posts
Some dogs just want to play!

At least he does not sound violent...

·
Registered
17,097 Posts
Originally posted by fieldmedic8404
no just a hoorible pet and worse hunting dog
not sure how patient you have been with him.... i know from expierence, that yelling and screaming at them while training them does not work... males tend to be a little more hard headed..

·
Under appreciated
88,168 Posts
I once saw gage the wonder dog retrieve a dove without us firing a shot. lol

Dont know what to tell you bro... it may not be in the cards.

·
Registered
16,730 Posts
Originally posted by MoneyMaker
ecollar,force fetch training,whipping stick is tools you must use and understand them!!!!!!
I tried all those on my boy and none of them work!!!

:rof2:

(not really)

·
In Mourning ___ Save the Ninja
4,961 Posts
sounds like he needs a leash on him .....Has he retrieved before ? need to introduce him to birds /wings if he has bumper trained only

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he is bumper trained. but as far as wings he will only retrieve if he see's it thrown. feathers dont bother him at all. but you can walk him to a bird he will not pick it up on command. but if you throw it or he finds it dead ( an old kill) while he is off playing and not staying with me he will always bring it to me. like rat seen him do. but he will not go after a shot bird even when told.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If the dog is 4 yrs old and this was his 1st retrieve, where did the first three years go? Did someone give him to you recently? From what I have read ( I don't even have a dog at the moment, so this is just research I have done), starting to train a dog when it is older is a tough chore. I think a lot more time and effort is involved. That may not even be the case with you, but sounds like he had a late start at 4 years old. Maybe some more time and effort may be in order to get back to basics?

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
you do have your work cut out for you. collar, ff and whippin sticks will help not not necessary. never used a stick or ff him. even though i tell him to pick something up and he does it. drop and duck and he gets it. sometimes he is a pain but the lightning usually puts him back into form. of course had him since he was a pup and worked with him a lot that first year. admittedly so not enough after that but he is a goodin despite me.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Mathewshuntr is on that same track that I was thinking. Have you had this dog since he was a pup??? I would definately get down the Obedience training down first (sit, stay, come, and heal). And keep him on a leash (long leash for retrieveing) so he know's that your in control. A pinch collar can be a great tool if properly used. By the sounds of it he isn't gunshy or is he??? If he's gunshy then not much hope for him being a good retriever. If he's not gunshy then I'd start bringing the gunshot into the training scheme (i.e everytime you throw a bumper, wing, stick, rock, whatever either you or someone shoot a shotgun or one of those starter pistols) that way he's associating the shot with having to make a retrieve. One thing I'd definately do tho is stop throwing anything you can pick up (reminds me of the story of the guys that threw a stick of dynamite on the ice and the dog brought it back droped it at their feet :stickfight:) ) Start throwing only the bumper (perferably wraped with a duck wing) or a frozen duck).

Hope this made some sense. Goodluck :cheers:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fair question, the first 2 yrs i was not hunting did not even own a gun. i had him out for a walk in the woods and we came up on some dove hunters who told me what a good looking dog he was and they introduced him to feathers, they also asked if he was gun shy i did not know we sat with them till they shot a dove and the shot. found out he was not gun shy. so later that season i bought my gun. and we started working on retriever training.

It has been very slow going. because of his hard headednness many of the guys i have been hunting with in there blinds bring there well trained dogs so not be hapered by mine. but i understand there blind there dog.

so if i can get some where by myself has to be a walk in i take him. but most of the time when i get there we have to turn back and walk back out because the blind builders or some one else has been there. Duck hunting with out owning a boat is difficult but not impossable

what i am saying is we have gone for many truck rides and walks to gether but not alot of hunting.

i just keep hoping that one day the birds will fly and it will click (get the bird) and i can have a good day with my dog.

i dont want a super star, just a good hunting buddy..............................

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
sometimes the best thing to do is get rid of him and get another dog. Save you alot of time.........its hard but you got to do it.

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
Originally posted by Joeyman
sometimes the best thing to do is get rid of him and get another dog. Save you alot of time.........its hard but you got to do it.
sounds like you have had this dog since a pup and bonded for four years, i say don't get rid of him, if it doesn't work out keep him as a family pet and get another one to start over with as a hunting buddy. i know, i got one of them dogs that never leaves the house. what a hefer. the family still loves her good for nothing rear.:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
There are some good books if you plan on a new dog. I suggest Water Dog and Gun Dog by Richard A. Wolters. He also wrote a great book called Family Dog for a well behaved house mate.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
How is the dog's desire? If he whines to get a bumper or freaks out when other dogs are retrieving and he is on a hard sit then I would continue. If he won't go after 50 straight bumpers thrown from a hard sit I would not continue. There comes a time when training a dog with little or no desire a trainer has to say "This dog will make a good pet" it is a hard thing to swallow but sometimes is neccessary. Next if the dog does has desire he needs a bootcamp. 20-30min a day on a pinch collar and heel stick enforcing heel and sit. When this is 100% you start heeling sideways, around corners, backwards at a trot, up stairs and whatever else is not normal. Not that you need the dog to heel in all of those situations all the time but you are forcing that dog under command to do what you want him to do. After that I would work on HERE, I rarely work HERE since HEEL is as good as HERE but some feel it neccessary. A long cord along with a pinch collar and a week or so you will have it down. All the time you are working on HERE continue to enforce heel and sit with pinch collar and stick. ( a broken fishing pole makes a fine heel stick). That is basic obed. not difficult but trying at times. With a 4y/o dog it may be a long and trying experience if he has no formal training.

Once basic OB is done then you work on Hold and that is a whole different ball game.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was tring not to have to use an e coller but i do believe i may need it. from a leash and coller i have no problems. once i remove the leash is when he gets bull headed and wont always come or heel. this is what i find most tring of my patience is him running around and not listning.

as far as desire to get a bumper if there is a bumper thrown or floating i can hardley contain him he wants it no matter how far it is and how many dogs are already out there. He almost has OCD over bumpers.

But i have not been able to get him to relate a shot with a retrive. once he picks up wings he wants them as bad as a bumper. but you have to pick it up and drop it and he will carry it till you say drop. bu tlike i said i have to walk him out there pick it up and drop it or throw it. thats why i was throwing things close hoping he would see the duck and grab it but instaed of the duck he picked up what ever i threw.

so i guess it will be on to blanks and some one throwing.

I have never trained a retriever or hunting dog so i know i am making many mistakes my self. i have always had pets or hearding dogs.

But i do have a copy of GUN DOG, and WATER DOG BOOK and DVD

Thanks for the help i was majorly stressed out thurs day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts