Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys after seeing that thread the other day I don`t want to blow my hand off! I`ve never shot a ML before, and I bought one from ghbeagles today. He said he doesn`t think it`s been shot before, looks like a good gun, so I`m fine with that part.

I searched the CVA site today, and ended up buying pyrodex 50 grain pellets, powerbelt bullets 270 Gr., and 209 primers. I should be fine right? Also I can use 2 of the pellets(up to 100Gr.) correct?

If this is all correct, would you start with one pellet sighting in @ 50 yards? What is the advantage of using 2 pellets, other than velocity? I really won`t be shooting this over 50 yards where I plan to hunt.

Thanks In Advance, I`m a digit short on my index finger already, and would like to stay that way.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
if your going to shoot 2 pellets, sight in with 2 pellets. the gun you bought from ghbeagles is rated as a "magnum" muzzleloader, meaning you can put 3-50gr pellets in it. tests were done and all your going to gain is another 100fps at the muzzle, and a whole lotta recoil. so, put 2 pellets in there, then the bullet. pull bolt back, put primer in, have fun shooting

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
2 pellets= more velocity=more energy=more deadly for the deer.

Did your gun come with an owners manual? If so, read it thoroughly and follow the instructions. Even then, I'd get someone with some experience to go with ya the first time.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeremy,

So with what I described, even having never shot one before, a guy with any sense couldn`t go wrong?
I`m just paranoid, I just push the bullet onto the pellet until it seats firmly?

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
bowrookie, where are you located? I got the other one he had...(same gun basicaly) and i need to sight mine in. I've had the same gun before, so I can show you the ins and outs of that gun...such as loading, takedown, cleaning..etc etc.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
archer66 no manual, just using the CVA site for instruction. So you think I`m best getting with someone that knows what they`re doing? I just thought with the pellets and bullets I bought that it was kinda fool proof.

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
One of the best pieces of advice I have ever read - mark your ramrod.
Mark it for the right depth of two pellets and the bullet firmly seated. That way you have a visual gauge to ensure everything is as it should be.

Having a gap between the bullet and powder (or pellets) will absolutely ruin your day...

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
[rquote=1503514&tid=104912&author=bowrookie]archer66 no manual, just using the CVA site for instruction. So you think I`m best getting with someone that knows what they`re doing? I just thought with the pellets and bullets I bought that it was kinda fool proof.[/rquote]

youll also need to know how to take the gun down and clean it as well. after each shooting session..its needs taken apart and cleaned well.
but yes..if all your wanting is loading info..
drop 2 pellets into the barrel (tapered side down)
start the bullet into the barrel by hand, seat bullet against pellets with rod. steady pressure..dont tap the rod onto the bullet to seat against the pellets. youll break them and they wont burn like they should.

did you get the priming tool, disassembly tools?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I`m best just getting with someone. I want to learn how to take it down and clean it right as well. The info. on the CVA site is good, but for me nothing beats someone showing me.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
[rquote=1503514&tid=104912&author=bowrookie]archer66 no manual, just using the CVA site for instruction. So you think I`m best getting with someone that knows what they`re doing? I just thought with the pellets and bullets I bought that it was kinda fool proof.[/rquote]

I think if you have a lot of experience with guns, and have enough instruction from the website, and know what you are supposed to do you would be fine. But since you said you are nervous about it, it certainly wouldn't hurt to spend some time with someone who has experience and have them show you the ropes.

·
Grrrrrrr
29,951 Posts
:cheers::cheers::cheers:Sounds like Jeremy is gonna get ya set up!!!!

G

·
Bowrookie you also have my number and I have plenty of room to shoot here if you want to come out and I will help you out with whatever I can

:cheers:

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
i would check the CVA web site on that one gun to see what the max load is
i know my knight says 90 grain max

·
Registered
69,798 Posts
Lots of detailed stuff that goes on before...during...and after loading and shooting that that includes what to do between shots.

My advice to anyone just starting out....go with someone that knows what they are doing.

Fireman Brad got me started right. Thanks again Brad!:bowing:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
[rquote=1503635&tid=104912&author=Mailman]Lots of detailed stuff that goes on before...during...and after loading and shooting that that includes what to do between shots.

My advice to anyone just starting out....go with someone that knows what they are doing.

Fireman Brad got me started right. Thanks again Brad!:bowing:[/rquote]

It's so easy, even a Mailman can do it!!!!!!!LOL:rof2::wave:

·
Trapper Groupie
7,708 Posts
[rquote=1504404&tid=104912&author=FiremanBrad][rquote=1503635&tid=104912&author=Mailman]Lots of detailed stuff that goes on before...during...and after loading and shooting that that includes what to do between shots.

Fireman Brad got me started right. Thanks again Brad!:bowing:[/rquote]

It's so easy, even a Mailman can do it!!!!!!!LOL:rof2::wave:[/rquote]

Good jab no Great jab.:hysterical:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts