Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's grandpa has this Nylon 66 .22. He has asked me if I can find someone to get it fixed. He loaned it out and it came back all scratched up as you can see in the pictures below. The plastic piece that pulls the chamber open has broken. They guy that borrowed it obviously used a screw driver or something to pull it open and that is how it got all scratched up. I was wondering if this is something I can get the part for and fix or if there is a gunsmith around the columbia area that may be able to fix it. I have thought about taking it to powder horn, but though that I would ask the members on here first.

[file]81711[/file] [file]81713[/file]

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
:eek: wow he trashed that old gun, hope you get it fixed the nylons are one of my fav's.

·
I love work. I can watch it all day.
1,811 Posts
DForbis -

Looks like they used an ice pick to work the action

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
It's been a long time since I had one in my hand, but if memory serves me the reciever cover is just that. A piece of formed sheet metal that can be replaced if ya can find one.

·
Registered
13,736 Posts
You might send it back to Remington, Nylon 66s have that lifetime warranty on 'em, and they honor it. My uncle has used up THREE of them **** hunting, he still has the fourth one. :eek::

He's killed an AWFUL LOT of ***** with his Nylon 66s.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Do a search online for Numrich Arms or Gun Parts Incorporated,,,,,,,,, they probably have the parts you need.

·
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, sounds like I have a lot of options. I will see about the parts bulletman. Any idea what that part would be called?

·
19,584 Posts
The very reason I don't loan firearms to just anyone...I'd probably be doing time, if one of mine ever came back in that condition! :mad2:

·
Registered
69,788 Posts
Here is a place you can get that replacement part (bolt handle)

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6655/Product/REMINGTON_NYLON_66_BOLT_HANDLE

As for the scratches ...as Poor Valley said the cover is just sheet metal and should come off easily. If it were mine I would get the replacement bolt handle from Brownells and sand out the scratches and give it a good buffing and paint it flat black. It would give it a Parkerized look (no relation to our Parker)

·
11,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mailman, I will probably order the part tomorow and see about getting the old bolt handle out. Appreciate everyones help:cheers:

·
Registered
69,788 Posts
Sorry......I have failed......

I can't find a replacement "Receiver Cover Assembly" anywhere for you.

:whinging:

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Looks like the reciever cover could be exposed to a little grinding compound on a buffing wheel and salvaged. If I remember correctly it's just a dust cover and a place to attach the rear sight.

Probably should strip it down and examine the internals of the reciever and such before spending any money. Looks like it has been mistreated somewhat.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,147 Posts
[rquote=1491081&tid=104172&author=glennasher1] You might send it back to Remington, Nylon 66s have that lifetime warranty on 'em, and they honor it. My uncle has used up THREE of them **** hunting, he still has the fourth one. :eek::

He's killed an AWFUL LOT of ***** with his Nylon 66s.[/rquote]

If they honor the warranty, why did he have to buy four of them? :thinking:

·
Registered
69,788 Posts
[rquote=1491390&tid=104172&author=htredneck]Have you tried here - http://www.e-gunparts.com (Numrich Arms)?[/rquote]

I had already check out their site and there is none to be had there. I've been waiting on a windage adjustment screw for my Remington Nylon model 10 for months and it keeps telling me that it is out of stock and to check back in 30 days.....like yeah right...they are gonna make me a screw for a gun that is that old.

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=83193#pid1181497

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
To be honest - I do the best on hard to find parts by doing regular searches on eBay.
The stuff that shows up on there is absolutely amazing at times...

·
Grrrrrrr
29,950 Posts
That's the same model rifle I grew up shooting squirrels with. Great little gun....really enjoyed shooting it.

·
Registered
13,736 Posts
[rquote=1491397&tid=104172&author=GoGop][rquote=1491081&tid=104172&author=glennasher1] You might send it back to Remington, Nylon 66s have that lifetime warranty on 'em, and they honor it. My uncle has used up THREE of them **** hunting, he still has the fourth one. :eek::

If they honor the warranty, why did he have to buy four of them? :thinking:[/rquote]

He bought the first one, the others came from Remington as replacements. They sure didn't make any money on that rifle.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,147 Posts
[rquote=1492140&tid=104172&author=glennasher1][rquote=1491397&tid=104172&author=GoGop][rquote=1491081&tid=104172&author=glennasher1] You might send it back to Remington, Nylon 66s have that lifetime warranty on 'em, and they honor it. My uncle has used up THREE of them **** hunting, he still has the fourth one. :eek::

If they honor the warranty, why did he have to buy four of them? :thinking:[/rquote]

He bought the first one, the others came from Remington as replacements. They sure didn't make any money on that rifle.[/rquote]

Ahhh, that makes sense. I never had to do anything like that, so I wasn't sure how it worked. I was thinking they just replaced individual parts.

Thanks. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts