Need Help (shot placement)

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by jbridgham, Nov 4, 2010.

1. jbridgham

jbridgham New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    This week I have put what I thought was great text book shots on two does. Well I heard wack and the arrow was well not going through or in past 4 inches. I am sure the deer lived after spending alot of time searching. I am aiming right behind the shoulder and am really wondering what is the secret? Any advise would be great. I am an outdoors man and am new to the bow, I do not want this to happen again. Thanks guys

2. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    What Broadheads are you shooting?

3. Pastor

Pastor Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Leadwood.
    describe your bow and arrows as well. what pound pull what weight arrows?

4. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I aim for the Pocket right behind the front leg about 2/3 of the way down from the back. I usually get the heart and both lungs. The biggest thing to wait for is that quartering away position. The arrow usually passes clear thru. I hope this helps.
    One more tip, shoot at least 30 arrows a day. I shoot up to 60-70 a day. It really helps.

5. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    Just my initial thought would be that its expandable broadheads with under poundage bow.. Interested to hear more details..:pop:

6. jbridgham

jbridgham New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    My bow is a Hoyt Trycon set at 55pds. Im using 400 ST excel arrows and Rage triple blade.

7. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1880776&tid=130981&author=jbridgham]My bow is a Hoyt Trycon set at 55pds. Im using 400 ST excel arrows and Rage triple blade.[/rquote]

killin machine

8. Tuffke

Tuffke New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    [rquote=1880776&tid=130981&author=jbridgham]My bow is a Hoyt Trycon set at 55pds. Im using 400 ST excel arrows and Rage triple blade.[/rquote]

Problem found...

:pop:

9. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1880782&tid=130981&author=Tuffke][rquote=1880776&tid=130981&author=jbridgham]My bow is a Hoyt Trycon set at 55pds. Im using 400 ST excel arrows and Rage triple blade.[/rquote]

Problem found...

:pop:[/rquote]

:hysterical::hysterical::stirpot::cheers:

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

11. jbridgham

jbridgham New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I have just switched to G5 teckan hoping that the triple blades were the problem. I dont think im putting enough KE behind the arrow for those broadheads.

12. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Just my .02, but I only use fixed blade broadheads and my bow is set at 63 lbs. I use Gold Tip ProHunter 400's. That's just what I use-

13. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    MUZZY, THUNDERHEADS = Dead Deer:cheers:

I shoot fixed blade broadheads, the Rage and other expandables are great for good shots but NOT forgiving on a bone hit.. :cheers:

14. DUTCHMAN

DUTCHMAN New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Gasconade County,MO
    Id switch bows and broad heads and you will be fine lol Id go with a quest or diamond bow and some g5 t3 heads or some undertakers

15. BILLYGOAT

BILLYGOAT New Member

with 4 inches of penetration behind the front leg the deer is more then likely dead.as to why you arent getting pass through shots is hard to say.way angle shots are you taking?how long are the shots?you might be aiming a little to far forward and hitting the shoulder.its really hard saying

16. jbridgham

jbridgham New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Im sure I hit to far forward, my rage was all bent up and I found the arrow 20 feet from impact. Im not shooting any further than 30 yrds. After reading that last post ill be looking for the rib cage and be putting them behind the elbow instead of behind the shoulder.

17. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    [rquote=1880793&tid=130981&author=Hatch]MUZZY, THUNDERHEADS = Dead Deer:cheers:

I shoot fixed blade broadheads, the Rage and other expandables are great for good shots but NOT forgiving on a bone hit.. :cheers:[/rquote]

x2

18. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    Sounds to me that you are aiming too close to the shoulder.

19. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    [rquote=1881361&tid=130981&author=mohunter32]Sounds to me that you are aiming too close to the shoulder.[/rquote]

Kinda what I think too. Might be hitting the shoulder blade. You should be able to get pass-thru shots with your setup. if you hit the ribcage. Not sure if fixed blades would make a big differance, but its worth a try. But you will probably have to re-tune your bow or re-sight it if you switch to fixed blade.

20. High Country

High Country New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Definately u hit the shoulder, just follow the crease that seperates shoulder and leg about 2 inches behind it and its a dead deer everytime.