NEED HELP ON PISTOL

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by leasburg, Nov 4, 2010.

1. leasburg

leasburg New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    ok my father in law wants a tauras judge for over a year and we are talking about splitting one for him. $519 mag 429 for reg. He doesnt shoot guns often unless I take him out. All it would be used for is home defense and at the range. I have been reading about all your comments. do you guys think I should get him somen else or what the guy wants.

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    If thats what he wants, why not?
    We could argue what self defense guns are better than the next til the cows come home.
    I sure wouldnt want to be on the recieving end of a judge... taurus or otherwise. :D

3. leasburg

leasburg New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    so there is a magnum, a 3 inch, or a regular one/

4. 1FastCam

1FastCam New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    CT
    I'm think the same as Rat. If thats what he wants, then why not. It'll get the job done when it needs done.:cheers:

5. cshoff

cshoff New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Gasconade County
    Why not ask your dad to research the attributes of the .410 and .45LC out of a short-barreled handgun for defensive use and THEN make an informed decision as to what he wants. If he still wants The Judge after researching the gun and the cartridges, then who's to argue with a grown man who makes a decision after knowing the facts?

6. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Some members could probably get together and let him try out a few different types/calibers/lengh of handguns. I'd let him try out a Ruger .41 cal Redhawk revolver if he wanted to try that out. I don't have a Taurus Judge.

Little stubby barrels are lighter and easier to carry around, but aren't very good on accuracy. Longer barrels just the opposite for the most part. Many people like semi-auto's but wheel guns also have a strong following.

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Does he want to carry or just have for home defense?
    I think the diff may be whether you want something effective and discreet as far as carry or home defense.

I guess there are all different applications for what type of defense you are interested in.

For carry, I prefer either my walther p40 or the kahr pm9.

I have the wheelgun in .357 for bedside but I dont prefer it for carry.
    I'm no expert on the subject but I'm proficient enough with most personal defense pistols I have if needed.

8. leasburg

leasburg New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    he just wants it for the truck, nightstand, and to play with

9. Gamegetter

Jan 21, 2004
    Well you didn't say he was just wanting a toy to play with. :D

10. leasburg

leasburg New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    South County MO
    we all need toys but what do you guys think the mag, 3 in or other one

11. Monofletch

Monofletch Senior Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Midwest
    He can shoot my Dan Wesson .44 mag. It has a 9" barrel. It's a blast to shoot, but not a home defense weapon unless you buy a snubby barrel and swap them. That is easy though.

12. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

13. Squid Hunter

Squid Hunter New Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Winfield, MO
    Get him the magnum. It's worth the extra coin to be able to get the better defense rounds. 000 buckshot and even #4 is easier to get in the 3" .410 just my :02:

14. mohunter32

mohunter32 Senior Member Lifetime Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Franklin Co, MO
    If that's what he wants, and you want to get it for him, then I think go for it.

15. Gamegetter

Jan 21, 2004
    I really don't know much abou them, but if he is wanting to play with it, he probably wants to shoot the shotshells. The article made it sound like it would be hard to find shotshells in anything other than 3".

16. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Get it for him. Then we can have a known person to give us a report on how it shoots.

17. conradtactical

conradtactical New Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Jefferson County, MO
    [rquote=1880641&tid=130974&author=leasburg]ok my father in law wants a tauras judge for over a year and we are talking about splitting one for him. $519 mag 429 for reg. He doesnt shoot guns often unless I take him out. All it would be used for is home defense and at the range. I have been reading about all your comments. do you guys think I should get him somen else or what the guy wants.[/rquote]

Thats a bit steep price... I'd shop around if I were you. I paid $450 for my Magnum and that was new even after tax.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1881065&tid=130974&author=Gamegetter]I really don't know much abou them, but if he is wanting to play with it, he probably wants to shoot the shotshells. The article made it sound like it would be hard to find shotshells in anything other than 3". [/rquote]

my kiddos have a 410, and for the past few years i havent found anything besides 3" shells...anywhere

19. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    If it's going to be his primary go to pistol I would stay away from Taurus. Get him a glock or m&p.

20. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Aaron,

if he would like to try my revolver, Let me know, it is a .357 so you can shoot those and any of the .38 family...although not a .380.

Taurus Judges are a hit with the ethnic folks of North county...