Need help identifying a rifle

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by riverbottomhunter, Jan 11, 2018.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I might have posted this a few years back but couldn't remember. A few years back I inherited this old rifle and I am trying to figure out exactly what it is. The only wording on it I can find and partially make out is E Remington and Sons, NY. It has a rolling block and an octagon barrel. The stock is really small compared to modern rifles and it has a thin metal strip on the end of the butt.

Any info I could get on this would be great. 20160218_191915_resized.jpg 20160218_191923_resized.jpg 20160218_192000_resized.jpg

2. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    Any idea what caliber ? They made rimfires up to 45/70 .

3. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
  4. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Sounds like a 32 rimfire was a popular caliber in this rifle

5. Muleskinner

Muleskinner Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Osage County
    I’m not familiar with it but bet there is at least one guy can give us a history lesson.
    Mic the barrell and the length of the barrell may help with identifying it.

6. Bob58

Bob58 Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Remington Rolling Block No.2
    The #2 Remington rolling block is a smaller scale civilian model sporting rifle using a receiver patterned after the 1871 Army pistol. A number of the parts are interchangeable with the 1871, 1891 and 1902 pistols as well as the #7 target rifle. This rifle was produced in a wide variety of rim fire and center fire cartridges.
    The rim fire models with bar extractors are the most numerous.

7. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I do not have a barrel micrometer but it is just a hair shy of 3/8" using a tape measure

8. Maddog3355

Maddog3355 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    Maries County
    Sharps4590 might know.

9. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Unfortunately I'm not very familiar with the Rolling Blocks other than the full size #1 and, it appears you received the correct information. At slightly less than 3/8 it could be a 38 rimfire, I believe they made one. I'm not very knowledgeable about the old rim fires either. With a roller a chamber cast is easy and you can pick up the first couple inches of the bore and remove all doubt as to what it is.

The 45-70 was never a rimfire cartridge even in BP guise as it was simply too powerful. At first it was "internally primed" but that was still center fire.

If the old rifle is in any shape to shoot occasionally one sees a new run of some of the old rimfire ammo...maybe rarely would be a better word but it's out there....and usually expensive. There's a lot of info out there about converting another breech block to center fire and using some revolver case to bring the old rifles back to use. The original breech block is kept and fitting the new one is ultra simple. Off the top of my head I think 38 Spl. or the old 38 Colt and the various 32 S&W cases are the most often used. A fella could almost consider those smaller rollers as an American version of a Rook rifle....and a heck of a lot of fun!!!!

riverbottomhunter likes this.
  10. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Found this video interesting....

riverbottomhunter likes this.
  11. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Good video Bill, I appreciate that. I'd still like to have one of the Husqvarna RB's in 12.7 X 44. Simpson's always has them but someone buys the good ones what seems to be minutes after Simpson's gets them. Maybe one of these days.

If all those RB's are Potterfield's he's got a heck of a collection....which surprises whom?

Mailman likes this.
  12. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Dadgum you riverbottomhunter!!!! A RB is one rifle that is not in my safe and hasn't been for 30 years, now you've opened that wound!!! Gonna call Simpsons today on this one and ask how "good" the bore is. Not a 12.7 X 44 but the 8 X 58RD is a good old cartridge. I need a project when the weather breaks anyway....:D

https://www.simpsonltd.com/products/z36318

riverbottomhunter and Maddog3355 like this.
  13. truehunter

truehunter Active Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Great video mailman . I have a rem rolling block number 2 that was my grandfathers. He was born in 1890 and won the rifle around the age of 14 in a raffle I was told . He was a solder in the argon forest in the First World War . After the war he became a post master for us mail . I remember him sitting on back porch watching his garden with the rifle . Rabbits were the enemy when I was a small boy . Lol I will try to post pics later .

tcwild likes this.
  14. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    This thread has me wanting one also.

Grew up shooting a Stevens Favorite .22 rolling block. It may not be considered a true rolling block but close enough for me. I have no idea just how many squirrels I took with that gun. It belonged to my uncle. He sold it while I was in Vietnam and I still haven't forgave him.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  15. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    You're right Bill, the Favorite isn't a rolling block. It's more accurately a falling block. Doesn't matter, they're a cool little rifle and quite available.

"Back in the day" there was some gunsmiths who modified the Remington rolling block to operate with an under lever but it remained a roller.

Time to call Simpsons!!

Edit: It's on the way.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Dafish likes this.
  16. Jfraz3

Jfraz3 Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Grain Valley Mo
    Bill? I happen to have a Favorite in my gun cave thats been in pc’s for a few years and had intensions of a re-lined barrel and complete remodel....have lost interest, could probly be had pretty cheap

17. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    There ya go Bill!! Nice of Jf to offer. Last time I checked a 22 could be re-lined for around $200.