Need help ~ I have a gunsmithing question...

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Chairman, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I'm in the process of mounting my new TruGlo sights on my Rem. 11-87.

I'm supposed to remove the front bead, but I can't get the dang thing to come off.

So ~ I'm assuming it's pressed in?!

How the heck do I get it off ~ without scratching or marring the vent rib???

I can get it to turn, but that's it... :mad2:

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I thought they were threaded in...but I could be wrong....so in other words, I'm no help at all....lol

I'd leave the bead in place, and put the truglo sight right up behind it....

3. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

I'd get a cuttin' torch - that ought to get it off there. However, this WILL scratch and marr the ventilated rib - SOOoooo, like fireman, I am no help ...

4. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    yea, some are pressed in. just get a pliers, twist and yank. i have several guns with pressed in beads that will get drilled and tapped for screw in fiber optic beads this summer. my buddies spartan O/U has the pressed in bead and it was suppose to be removed to mount his front fiber optic site. there is a screw that is suppose to go in where the threaded bead should be to hold the site secured. the opening the screw goes through is large enough that it fit over the pressed in bead and we used a zip tie to keep it in place for the spring hunt. he is getting his tapped at the same time this summer when we have time. heck i'll be sending 3 of my own and his.

EDIT: do try to unscrew it first to determine it truely is a pressed in front bead.

5. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Yeah ~ all I can get it to do is turn, and it's not even starting to back out, so it must be pressed in.

I would just install the site behind the bead, but the sight instructions state to use the hole for mounting the new site... :roll2:

Pain in the :ass: BS ~ the instructions never said nothin' 'bout this situation.

Now I've got a loose bead sight, can't install the new sight until I get this sucker yanked, and I'm leaving tomorrow 'round noon...and I wasn't planning on messing with this all day. I had short notice as it is.... :mad2:

This is supposed to be fun, right?! :banghead:

6. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Problem solved...

Nothin' some needle-nose vice grips couldn't handle... :D

FYI ~ it is a pressed-in bead...notice there are no threads.

I feel better, now.

Thanks for the suggestions, y'all... :wave:

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Chairman... did you get things worked out? I was thinking of putting fibres on my 870 but I would like to know if I am in for more than I can handle!

BTW.. my winchester trapgun was threaded and I was a bit worried about trying to twist that front bead out.. worked out fine couple of years back.

8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Well...

Since it was pressed in, there were no threads to speak of, once I removed it. The kit had 4 different-sized screws though, and the largest one got a grip.

I'm gonna have to get a gunsmith to make it more permanent later (unless someone here can tell me how to do it), but for now I added a drop of thread-lock to keep it there.

And no, I don't own any taps... :frown:

The rear sight installation went smooth, and I really like the peep sight...

9. I had a similar problem on a rifle front site. I took it to a gunsmith who used a special press to remove it and install the new one. I didn't feel like marring the gun which is what would have happened had I done it myself.

10. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I'd say just check it after you shoot it, I bet the lock-tite will do the job!!! Good luck to ya, hope ya git a biggun!!!

11. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I was thinking abou doing the true glow thing on my 870 too..wonder how that works out?

12. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    So Chairman how did this new gizmo work on yer shotgun??:confused::confused::confused:

Jack;)