Need adivce - Shot him high with my bow.

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by alfe07, Nov 1, 2010.

1. alfe07

alfe07 New Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Friday night I had one of the bucks on our hit list read the script and came in to rattling and grunting. He walked 10 steps from my ground blind. I put my 20 yd pin on him and shot him high. I could see arrow out both sides as he ran away. The shot was under his backbone, but apparently not in lungs. I backed out and left him overnight. Came back in the morning on Saturday, found no blood no arrow and no deer. Do you think he will make it? We scoured the area to no avail. Any advice?

Thanks,

2. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    no problem he is prolly chasing does as we speak and doesn't even know it:cheers:

3. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1874181&tid=130544&author=coyotehunter]no problem he is prolly chasing does as we speak and doesn't even know it:cheers:[/rquote]

That's my guess

4. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    i agree with these guys as well. however, there is a chance that some infection may get him down the road in weeks or so???

5. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    Last year a friend we hunt with shot a decent 9 with his bow on tuesday before rifle opener, hit him high and never found him.....until he dropped him while doggin a doe opening day of gun season 1/2 mile from where he shot him with an arrow, he had a hole clean through high in his back.

6. Mofireman39

Mofireman39 New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    FWIW, I shot a doe in a similar fashion earlier this season. Entered about 3 or 4 inches below the spine. I looked for several hours that day and couldn't find ANYthing. About 10 days later while hunting, I saw the same doe with her yearling, acting as if nothing ever happened. I could clearly see the entrance and exit hole on both sides of her, so there's no doubt it was her.

It sucks when it happens, but it happens. Hang in there.

MoFire

7. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    If you hit "below" the spine it is DEAD. You cannot shoot below the spine and above the lungs. There is no "void" there. The aorta lies under the spine, and the lungs are up tight to spine. Plus if you puncture the cavity you should cause the lungs to collapse.

What you describe is a shot ABOVE the spine. It is only a muscle shot, so the deer should be fine.

There is about 6" ABOVE the spine above the vitals including the hair,hide, and muscle!!! Approx. the top 1/3 of a deer is NONVITAL in the front of the deer!

I feel for ya though...did it myself on biggest buck I have ever shot at about a week ago.

thanks
    citori

8. He is right, you are wrong. And above the spine, there is no air. Above the spine are the backstraps. This magical void does not exist. You either hit above the spine in the backstraps, in the spine, or below the spine int the top of the chest cavity.
    [rquote=1874511&tid=130544&author=Dalton][rquote=1874276&tid=130544&author=citori]If you hit "below" the spine it is DEAD. You cannot shoot below the spine and above the lungs. There is no "void" there. The aorta lies under the spine, and the lungs are up tight to spine. Plus if you puncture the cavity you should cause the lungs to collapse.

What you describe is a shot ABOVE the spine. It is only a muscle shot, so the deer should be fine.

There is about 6" ABOVE the spine above the vitals including the hair,hide, and muscle!!! Approx. the top 1/3 of a deer is NONVITAL in the front of the deer!

I feel for ya though...did it myself on biggest buck I have ever shot at about a week ago.

thanks
    citori

[/rquote]
    Sorry, I think you need to study up on your deer anatomy. There is a void below the spine and above the lungs. Above the spine there is nothing but air:shrug:[/rquote]

9. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

if there is no void . how do they live?

inquiring mind needs to know

10. People don't understand that the spine is not right underneath the skin at the top of the back. They shoot them through the backstraps and then complain they hit them in the void under the spine. I mean think about it bean, the rib cage comes off the spine, the chest cavity is filled with lungs from the bottom of the spine to the bottom of the chest cavity. The lungs are just deflated when you field dress one. Backstrap shots, not "void" shots.
    [rquote=1874544&tid=130544&author=beanpile]if there is no void . how do they live?

inquiring mind needs to know [/rquote]

11. alfe07

alfe07 New Member

Sep 17, 2010
  12. bigm

bigm New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Columbia Mo.
    Had a buddy shoot the buck in my avitar straight down, next to the spine, exited out the side. Found the arrow covered in blood but no blood trail. Thought we lost him. Three weeks later he walked past me and I put him down. Just a bad infection on his back. Your's is probably alright sounds like to me.

13. citori

citori New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    SEMO
    My friend that is a Vet(DVM) and managed a hunting club in Alabama and I have had this discussion MANY times. He also has a degree in wldlife biology. So he is a Vet and he cleaned @ 125 deer a year for clients for 5 years while managing the lodge, plus all the deer he has killed over the years. I think that when he says "there" is no void that he has a pretty good basis for this statement.

99.9% of the "high lungshots in the void" are shots OVER the spine into nothing but the muscle of the backstrap. He said that the chance of survival with the shot is REALLY good. They should live unless some freak infection kills them. So I think you might get another chance at the buck if you keep after him. He is still running around after does.

thanks
    citori