NEED A CRASH COURSE IN WHEEL CHAIRS

Discussion in 'Hunting With A Disability' started by Poor Valley, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    My friend Dan had a stroke about 3 months ago. He is paralyzed on the right side and his recovery process is not moving along very well. He will return to his home in about a month. That is where we built the access ramp Tuesday. The ramp is 68 ft long with one right angle turn at 48 feet from the high end. Even though it has a pitch of only 1in 12 it looks steep. The floor is treated 3/4 in plywood and it has sturdy 2 by siderails. His wife is a small lady, but she can push him up the ramp.

My concerne is should an accident happen on the ramp, should she slip or in some way loose control Dan could not control the chair since he has only the use of his left hand and leg. I believe she said that Medicare would provide a chair of some sort.

I an completely ignorant about chairs so I need some help so I can help her. Any comments would be appreciated!

One thing I wonder about is weather some sort of one handed brake arrangement is available and where from if it is. What about powered chairs? Help please!

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    You'll get the answers you need here for sure!

I can offer no help but I salute you for your support of your friend. :)

3. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Hey, PV... :wave:

I tend to get long-winded on this subject, so if we could just talk on the phone, it would save me a lot of time & typing, especially if you only need simple answers, and I start talking options...

So if'n you don't mind, send me your phone number (u2u), when's a good time for me to call, and we'll talk...OK?!

But, to hold you over until then: Yes ~ there are manual wheelchairs that has one-sided push-rims & braking controls.

Power chairs are certainly an option, they come in all shapes & sizes, plus different models for different needs.

4. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
  5. dchriste

dchriste New Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Happy to help out so u2u me with a number and good time to call as well if you'd like. I'm in an electric chair with use of one arm so needs are probably similiar. Take care.
    Don