Neading 2 3/4 inch steel loads for son.

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Hunting' started by Longbow26, May 23, 2009.

1. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Well i figer id start looking now for duck and goose season will be on us sone enouf. NO way woudl i expsect my son to shoot a 3inch shell at a duck or goose. So i nead to find some 2 3/4 steel loads for him.

I not got relaoding equipment for shootguns so cant laod some up my self. I would not be adverse to him using ones that some one laoded up wiht us thouhg.

If we did the relaod way we might be able to get some that has recoil like a high brass pheasent laod.

I figer id see if any one knows of a componie that makes 2 3/4 steel loads for 20ga just incase we find a plase to take my 8 year old duck hunting this year.

2. Heeler75

Heeler75 Confirmed Bachelor

Feb 10, 2008
    Over Yonder Way

3. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
    I've seen plenty, just keep your eye's peeled at the sporting goods stores, for some reason seems like they're always #2 shot, I guess mabey they don't sell enought to load a lot of different shot sizes :Shrug:

4. Gakic24

Gakic24 Well-Known Member

Walmart should still have some....

You can even get the Winchester Xpert short brass... it actually shoots really well..

and its cheaper! ;)

5. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I have never seen walmart to cary any non lead shoot. the sopper coated lead yes but not steel or buismith.

Id rather do steel since it is alot less in prise.

can one shoot a duck wiht #6 and 7 size shoot? I mean would the duck even knew it was getting hit?

6. Gakic24

Yes walmart carries steel shot longbow!!:claphands:

I have killed may ducks with Xpert shortbrass #6's and also #7's...

Grant it they have to be closer... Smaller shot will also cut the feathers better..

just sayin

7. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    [rquote=1273065&tid=89124&author=Gakic24]Yes walmart carries steel shot longbow!!:claphands:

I have killed may ducks with Xpert shortbrass #6's and also #7's...

Grant it they have to be closer... Smaller shot will also cut the feathers better..

just sayin[/rquote]

Ill go inquire of my walmart where they hiding there steel shoot.

That stuff woudl work for doves as well no?

8. Gakic24

yes sir!!!!

Alot of the CA's require steel shot, so it works really well...

Most of that steel shot is kept right behind the counter...

9. Gakic24

10. BILLYGOAT

BILLYGOAT New Member

let me do some checking lb i think i still have a box of 20 guage steel from my lilgirl when she went with me.i dont have a use for it any more so if i find it its all yours.you can deffinatly get it at wal mart thats where i got it at.

11. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Well shiping costrs for ammo are more then the ammo is. 12.88 shiping for a 7.99 dollor box of shells, no wonder the stuff is a stinken fortune at teh stors.

12. longbow you gonna sign the boy up for the mwt youth duck hunt?

13. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I was first going to check to see if he qualified for it. HIm being 8 years old and neading a rail to rest the gun on or edge of a shooting box/pit plind. I dint know if that woudl disqualify him for it.

I know he would love to go duck hunting. Well goose hunting as well.

Wife jsut got home so we going to go see if squirels move out and about in the rain.

14. hhhhhmmmmmm well it will be nearly impossible to shoot a flying duck off a rail the only thing i can think of is wait til they land tell him everynight lift up the gun 20 times by october i bet he will be ready to go

15. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Well i was told today by our walmart that since ppl dont use steel shoot any longer Walmart does not cary it. It was the 3 workers behind the gun counter who told me that.

16. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1273491&tid=89124&author=Longbow26] Well i was told today by our walmart that since ppl dont use steel shoot any longer Walmart does not cary it. It was the 3 workers behind the gun counter who told me that.[/rquote]

riiiight:hysterical: they should train those people a bit imo

17. yankee

yankee Senior Member

[rquote=1273491&tid=89124&author=Longbow26] Well i was told today by our walmart that since ppl dont use steel shoot any longer Walmart does not cary it. It was the 3 workers behind the gun counter who told me that.[/rquote] another reason i shop meijers, that and meijers is union

18. Swampy

Swampy New Member

One of my favorite loads is high brass 2 3/4" #6's on early to mid-season ducks

19. Skduckhunt

Skduckhunt Senior Member

Dec 29, 2002
    St. Charles, Mo
    Walmart carries the shells, but maybe only during the season... I will look at my shells as I may have a box packed away somewhere.... I think # 4's are as small as you want to go with ducks.. #6's will put more shoot in the but the gun has to hold it in the killin zone...I like #2's in my 12 gauge. Remington used to make some duplex shells that were BB's and 2's packed in the same shell, I liked em but they were expensive so I never patterned the shell...

20. knockemdeadd

knockemdeadd Active Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Arnold(St Louis)
    [rquote=1274780&tid=89124&author=Skduckhunt]Walmart carries the shells, but maybe only during the season... I will look at my shells as I may have a box packed away somewhere.... I think # 4's are as small as you want to go with ducks.. #6's will put more shoot in the but the gun has to hold it in the killin zone...I like #2's in my 12 gauge. Remington used to make some duplex shells that were BB's and 2's packed in the same shell, I liked em but they were expensive so I never patterned the shell...[/rquote]