Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of no other way to say this politically corectly, so I will just say it as it transpierd.

My wifes sister who is 11 years old on the 5th of this month, who insadently scord a 100 persent on her Hunter Education class the 15th of this month; my wife only scoring a 92 on her test. My sister inlaw's name is Robyn and for some reason I keep calling her my neice, i guess since she is so young. When I related the events that hapend this spring terky season I referd to her as my neice erently. Sorry for the back story, i only included it so you all would understand the falloing.

Robyn is my wifes half sister. They share same mom but diferent dad. Robyn is half white half black. Robyns dad comited suicide in jail when both his daughters were young. kayls was 6 months old and robyn little over a year. So they being raised one parent. Not the end of the world.It maters non to my wife and I about that Id give my life for robyn and her sister Kayla with out hesitation as I would for my son.
Robyn who had expresed interest in hunting couple of years ago started to learn how to shoot last year and after shoing remarkable acuracy and responsability with a fire arm i took her on this spring youth terky hunt. She and my wife took the hunter ed class this month together since my wife told her if she wanted to she would. Now robyn does not know if she can actually bring her self to shoot a deer, deer being so cute and all and smart looking. BUt she garonties me that she would have no problem shooting a terky. That was befor the hunter ed class. On the way home from that last week she said if i can sit wiht u one hunt where you shoot a deer I might be able to shoot one my self. So we made plans to do out first week of archery hunt next month. Her mom aproved it all was great. Then we get a call this morning from my mother inlaw stating the falloing. Robyn does not want to go hunting with you or any of your friends ever. I asked what brought that on. I got this reply. Robyns grandfather( the fatther of the girls dead father) told robyn last night apon hearring that she pland to go on the archery hunt with me to watch a deer harvested. Said to Robyn that you dont want to go hunting wiht Michael and his friends because they shoot black ppl when they are hunting. That we would only shoot Robyn and leave her lay in the woods to root and be eatten by wild animals.
This is where I nead help. I wont talk to her grandpa because i know I will lose my cool. I dint know her grandpa was such a anti hunter, in talks past he would ask how we could stand to eat wild meet; inlew of store baught properly prosed food. Nor did i know he was a racist. I have conveyed to Robyns mom that there grandpas i no longer welcome in our house. I wont have eather a racist or a anti hunter taht resorts to scare taticks to get his grandaughter's to give up hunting. Kayla was just starting her familirization with fire arms for next youth spring terky season.
RT now Robyn does not want to talk to me or my wife.She was so shooken up by what her grandfather told her last night that Robyn mist her first day of shool ever in her life. I kid you not Robyn has hade perfect atendence ever since kindergarden and has had a 4.0 grade average ever since grades are kept. She just enterd 5th grade
I had to waight to cool down befor I could even type this out. Else it get deleted by site managers.

What makes me so made is not lossing a hunting partner. But Robyn really smiels when she is on the rifle range. Having a mother who spends more time in the stress ward then out each year. Who does not see the point in her youngest daughters to do school activitys or thinks its a waist of monies for bicycles and stuff. Natalie and I have taken it apon our selfs to make shure they have as close to a chield hood as posible. We baught them 3 speeds to ride for there birthday presents this year since the bicks we baught them a few years ago had been taken back by there mom for the monies. So this time around the bickes stay at our house. So since robyn is interested in hunting I have/had pershased her hunting clothes and gear. For her birhtday this month We got her a marlin 22 semiatomatic rifle that I did custome job on the stock for her. Which her mom already tried to take back to the store for the monies. Changed the locks we did, i had no idea my mother inlaw had a set of keys to our house. Lukilly jakie considers any deer her daughter shoots as extra food so she is all about her going hunting. Ans since we are covering all the costs. So no monies from her wakky tabackie fund is lost.

I know im arrinng familie skelatins but had to so you all will understand this next question. the question this has all been leading to. What do I do? My sister inlaw wont talk to us rt now, so we not have a chance to ashure her that under no sercomstanses would any of us shoot her while hunting or at any time. The monies we invested into this up coming hunting season is no big deal. I just trully hate to see Robyn stop doing somethign she was really good at and enjoyed, the shooting part of the sport. As long as she does not forget how to shoot the Marince Corps is going to be thrild with her.
If she ever does talk to us again how do I aproch the topic? Im at a lose. And one thing I have learnt in life is 'It never herts to ask questions' and when in a bind ask for help, even if only for quidence.

I know I dont contribute much to this site. I apoligize for that. Skill wise or knowledge wise I am not up to par with most ppl. I know my spelling is horid. I try to minimize my posts so as not to give ppl eye cramps from reading posts. BUt for Robyns sake please some one help. We have a declining number of ppl participating in hunting. Ranging from ppl just getting to old to hunt any longer to not having a plase to hunt or time or the funds to hunt. It is every ones duty to introduce this sport of hunting to new ppl regardless of there age. Though the younger they are the better. Under 20 verses 60. The longer the life span of a new hunter more chanses they can introduce some one new them selfs. And as it stands rt now the 2 youngsters I had wiling to give the sport a try are scard away from a anti hunter.

·
Registered
947 Posts
holy smokes........I dont know where to start. I'd just remind the little girl that you were the one that has and always will take the time to teach her about the outdoors and under no circumstance would she ever be harmed. I would also tell her that her grandfather is full of SH*T. just my own .02 Good luck.

·
Retired
9,542 Posts
My advice is pretty simply------Dont take it personal----and remember the source from where it came.

Be nice to these youngins and dont lower yourself to the level of where grand-pa is attempting to place you. Young folks now days can usually see right thru the smoke and flames and will come to understand the truth which you have extended to them......

Just be there when the time is right!

:cheers:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Man, that's a tough situation and I commend you for making the time and effort to get involved in her life and get her interested.

It seems like that if the decision is Robyn's, then there is a trust issue that needs to be worked out between yourself and her. I would just try to convey that you've given her no reason in the past not to trust you. Just talk about all the things that you've enjoyed in the past. Sounds like her g-pa just has her really paranoid. I'd be asking her what you've ever done in the past for her not to trust you.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much you can do about her g-pa. Just take the high road and lead by example. That's all a person can do. If that road is the road that Robyn wants to take, then she'll make the right decision.

Also, you could suggest a hunting trip that involves your wife too. She might feel more comfortable if your wife is along and then hopefully, that comfort level would be there to allow her to go along with you later.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Longbow, I wouldn't worry about your inlaws. If your sister in law wants to hunt with you she should be allowed to by her Mom. It's a shame she has people trying to take away something she enjoys so much. I'd let the storm pass and assess the damage after it's gone.
No one here judges for spelling errors. No One is Perfect. I like to read your posts.;)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Well longbow, it's sad but true, that there are people out there who can't let the past go, but like Plasticman said, don't lower yourself to that piece of you know what's level. What goes around, comes around, and he's got his coming when the time comes from upper powers. I'd bite my tongue and just focus on getting Robyn to see how much you love her!
PS...There is a little girl in my wife's family who is of the same race, and we love her as one of our own as well.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have her mother talk to her and her Grandpa also. One of the biggest problems we have in this country is that some people can't let go of the past. From the sound of it, he seems like someone that plays the race card to blame for his shortcomings.

·
Former Chicken Man
20,350 Posts
Tell her grandpa was just trying to scare her because he has different beliefs, and that she'll have great time hunting. Also tell her to just not discuss the subject with that side of the family anymore.
Take her hunting, and send her back with a couple Polaroids of her holding whatever was just shot. That's what I would do. :D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I can't give any advice on something as personal as this but one thing I have learned . Love and hate are powerful tools . The character of the child dictates which path they will follow and there is nothing you or I can do , except to offer unconditional love and hope the child chooses the right path . It's all about choices . You make yours , they make theirs and the rest is up to the child . There is nothing that breaks my heart more than seeing a child destroyed by crude , uncaring , selfish people . You can't change them and God knows , they will not change you . Pray for the child . Good luck , my friend .
I share your inability to spell . I have a hand held spell checker that I have wore the keys out on . You have a damn good VOCABULARY ( had to look that one up ). Maybe you are like me and have done a lot more reading than writing .

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Man!!!. Don't give up on the kid!!!. Looks like you guys are the only stable thing in her life. Keep talking with her about whatever she wants to talk about and encourage her to read(don't limit it to the ouydoors). She sounds like a very intelligent young lady so give her some exposure to things outside the family circle and love her.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
47,282 Posts
Longbow, like a lot of the folks on here I can't give you much advice, however, I'm going to point you to a web site that might be a starting place that may help you change your sister-in-law's mind.

Dr. Warren Strickland

Maybe you could send him an email and copy what you posted here. If nothing else, show the site to your sister-in-law. I've watched him on TV and I like his style of hunting.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Kids grow up, they learn, and they end up knowing what is right and WHO is wrong!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
My first thought was to take grandpa hunting with you,maybe tie him up and make him think that he was right,but I know you cant do that.
unforntunatly you cant do much about him but keep your cool and try to undo what he did,one day she will grow up and realize what an :***:

and how great you are, gonna have to be patient on this one ,GOOD LUCK

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
Take the high road, knowing in your heart you are doing the right thing. Keep your distance for now, the kids will come around, even if it's not until they are of legal age to do so. They will remember you are the one who took the time to teach them about something they knew nothing about.

Good luck to ya.

BTH

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Really great advice already given here. Dont think I could add much more. Like already said, you are gonna have to be patient and just ride this one out awhile and be there when she comes back around to wanting to hunt. I'll bet good money that she will come back around to it. Just try not to force the issue right now until she is ready again. Yer doin good, stick with it!

·
Registered
7,305 Posts
I agree with the rest, If you get into a " Grandpa is wrong I am right " The girl will think you are attacking her Grandpa and that will be worse. Try to appeal to 11 yr. old logic ie..... "Robyn do you think your sister would live with a man who would do all the things your grandpa said?" and "Do you think I (meaning you) am a bad person?"

The optimum word in this post is APPEAL not bark or with a serious look but an understanding look on your face. Kids of that age are very smart, I have a 7yr. and they know what is going on.

Good Luck with this!

·
Registered
21,423 Posts
You did a good job telling us what you felt, so tell her. She will believe you.
I'd talk to her and be honest. I'd stress that (as mentioned) you have never done anything that she shouldn't trust you - so re-establish the trust. I'd tell her how much you love her, and that you would never ever do anything that would hurt her. That you want her to be happy and you know that it seemed to make her happy target shooting at the range. Offer to take her back to the range - someplace she knows is safe.

After you get her to the range a few times... Tell her how much you enjoy hunting and that it would make you happy to see her try hunting to see if she would like it and go from there. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I have heard alot of garbage from inti's in the past, but this has got to be the blue ribbon winner for pure racist bigotry. I cannot expound my feelings for your sister- in- laws grandfather as this site does not allow that kind of profanity.
But as far as your sister in law goes i would have to agree with the others. work with her and let her know that theiris no-one out there that would do anything like that. Ive been hunting for over 30 years and have never heard of an incident that even remotely resembles what he told her.
But i do have one suggestion; You might bring her to something like the MWT get togeher next weekend. There she could see and meet other hunters and find out what kind of people we really are. I'm confident that after that see would not have any problems with going out hunting. best of luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.