Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Banned
7,215 Posts
Try and get back at least a mile from the roads. Look for thick cover that is being used as a bedding area, then identify the primary food source for the time of year. Locate trails between the two and set up downwind of one. If all else fails, dye some corn green with kookaid and sprinkle a little on the trail.

· Registered
916 Posts
Ive been there a few times. Go to the far corners away from most other people. Ive not seen any deer personally but know people who have. Also try young across the street. There have been a few biggins taken from there. U just gotta walk into the outer edges of the property away from everyone else. Both places can b packed during season but most people r lazy and hunt near the parking lot

· Registered
2,096 Posts
Get back a mile ? its only 429 acres silly
That's funny.
Years ago when we still had check stations I saw a really nice buck in the back of a pickup.
I pulled in and got to talking to the lucky hunter.
He told me the whole story of his hunt and then said it was over a mile to drag to his truck and took him several hours since he was by himself.
He then told me who's property he was hunting.
I happened to know the owner and knew he only had 80 acres.
Must have been dragging in circles to drag a mile on 80 acres!!

· Registered
697 Posts
Did it have a 2500’ tall hill in middle? Ya know they say Idaho flattened out is bigger than Montana! Hiked 8 miles into the Frank Church Wilderness pulling a single mule chasing elk and I agree.

· Registered
253 Posts
Like everyone else has stated, try to get away from the traffic. It can be tough hiking, very hilly and steep. But there are deer there. Straight across the river is some PRIME deer hunting...... Ask me how I know lol!

· Under appreciated
93,230 Posts
Every story like that starts with walking a mile back in, dragging deer a mile back out, yada yada.
The reality is, you need a section of ground before you have a dimension that measures 5280 feet, unless you go corner to corner.
These milers.... that is some tall tale there.

Reactions: PoisonSnake

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Every story like that starts with walking a mile back in, dragging deer a mile back out, yada yada.
The reality is, you need a section of ground before you have a dimension that measures 5280 feet, unless you go corner to corner.
These milers.... that is some tall tale there.
Couldnt you walk a mile on 160 acres stacked? 1 mile by 1/4 mile?

· Under appreciated
93,230 Posts
Yes it could be 1/4 mile wide by 1 mile long. But you know most are not.
Yea, I was thinking more like a squared up section but I suppose they could lots are different dimensions.
You could definitely walk for miles in and out of MTNF.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.