My White Lightning arrived..

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by DanF, Mar 28, 2006.

1. DanF

DanF Active Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Cass Co.
    What a sweet gun!!!...too bad I'll have to wait a few weekends to toss a few rounds...

It came with no owner's manual...no problem, it is printing off from the web site as I type...no breechplug wench either, should I order one from Doc or will something else work???

it came with a dozen plus bullets...it's a .504 cal...what can I get in the KC area that will work just as well or do I need to order online to get them?

I am sure I will have more questions...just trying to eliminate as many mistakes as I can cause right now I am limited to where I can shoot (3 hour drive)...

thanks!!!

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Lets see a picture! sounds like a good'n

3. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    I just knew you would get one before I did Dan!

4. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
    DanF, the Lightning is one I haven't owned but I'm sure it uses the same breech plug. A 3/8" thin-walled socket will work great. I use the one from my 1/4" drive set along with the extension. Works better than the factory tool.

I doubt you will find suitable conicals in the KC area. You might try some of Bullshop's conicals. Specify pure lead, #2 lube if using true black, Speed Green lube if using subs, .504 diameter, and from his NEI 373 mould. Those should be good performers in your White. The bullets should weigh ~480 grains in pure from that mould.

We are just getting him geared up to produce conicals for us White owners and he is eventually going to be able to produce several variations at good prices. Check him out via the link in my post about "Source for bullets/conicals".

5. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    on my white bison i went and got a small ratchet and extension with the right socket to fit. it works like a dream:wave:

6. DanF

DanF Active Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Cass Co.
    Thanks guys...I'll have to get a pic of it and email Ernie...I can't figure out how to post it...and right now, that looks like as close as he is going to come to getting a White for awhile (sorry P-Man...).

Underclock, I will try that site out...I saw your post earlier...thanks...

Ernie, I had no plan on going out and getting this gun, but circumstances (loaning a gun to a "buddy" dictated that I was in the market)...and after exchanging a few emails with Doc, it just fell into place...the price was in my range and he said he only had a few of the Lightnings left...so, I jumped!!!

Now, I just need to read up on it...get some more bullets before I make that drive...get the scope on it...then I's is ready to bust loose!!!

7. PMan

PMan Retired

Dec 3, 2002
    Let me know how you like it--I'm sure you will love your white. I'm going to work on getting one as soon as I get other things behind me and some extra cash on hand.

When ya coming down?

8. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Dan another place we White owners get boolets is this place>>>>> No Excuses The 460gr boolet is a good place to start. When Bullshop gets totally geared up with our size boolets he'll be the man to see.;)

Jack

9. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
    Mount bases for the Whites are getting scarce! WARNE IS OUT OF BASES M923x and M925x (x= any finish)

Warne Maxima series http://www.warnescopemounts.com/ Search - White

Providers of Warne - Doc, Rattus at www.sunrisearchery.com, WhiteRifles, Brownell's?, directly from Warne...

"W" series
    Front Gloss - M846G... Matte - M846M... Silver - M846S

Rear Gloss - M892G... Matte - M892M... Silver - M892S

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "G" Series
    Front Gloss - M838G... Matte - M838M... Silver - M838S

Rear Gloss - M886G... Matte - M886M... Silver - M886S

Model 97
    Front Gloss - M923G... Matte - M923M... Silver - M923S

Rear Gloss - M925G... Matte - M925M... Silver - M925S

Model 98
    Front Gloss - M953G... Matte - M953M... Silver - M953S

Rear Gloss - M955G... Matte - M955M...Silver - M955S

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

WEAVER Graf's or E-Gunparts

"G" Series Grand Slam S439 front - S452 rear These are probably your best choice for the Lightning.

"W" Series Grand Slam S442 front and S455 rear

Weaver standard bases - front 11, rear 35, barrel (?)46(?)

Leupold QR base sets
    http://www.outdoorguides.com/outdoor/basering.htm or Wholesale Hunter or.....??

White "W" Series part # 50162 (matte) #50069 (silver)

White "G" Series part # 51258 (matte)

There are also some cheapo brands still available, but for the most part not worth mentioning. Check at http://www.outdoorguides.com/outdoor/basering.htm if you are interested in locating some of the cheaper bases.

10. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    OK! White Lightning is a muzzle loader. And here I was all excited that someone had some 'shine!:cheers::hysterical::cheers:

Good deal! congrats!

11. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    now you know nobody around here has any of that stuff:hysterical:

12. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    A true southener :cheers:

13. DanF

DanF Active Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Cass Co.
    Ordering from Bullshop today....great people to deal with!!!

14. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
    Yes, they are. And you will be amazed at how well they package those bullets. Might need a good skinning knife. :D

Did you order the NEI 373 based bullets?

15. DanF

DanF Active Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Cass Co.
    yes...the true blacks ones just liked you told me too...thanks for the help!!!

now I just need to get out and shoot!!!

16. ourway7

ourway7 New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Dirty White Boy

Now you be's one of Dem Dirty White Boys, I read so much about them, never really gave it much thought till I hooked up with Doc White I have the super 91 in 504. When I first shot it I couldn't believe the accuracy, ease of loading, etc. I always used the Knights, but after the White I said to myself, Self why didn't I listen to Dem Dirty White Boys sooner. I have yet to hear any negative vibes about the White. You just have to own one, or two, or three to become a believer. Good Luck:boohoo:

17. Batchief909

Batchief909 New Member

Sep 25, 2004
  18. ourway7

ourway7 New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    If you's don'ts got a White youse aint doin it right, unless maybe yous got one of dem Savages!!!