Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now im sure this will stir the pot, but I look at it very simply... You dont have to be a good hunter to kill a deer over a pile of bait... Foodplot, are a different story, many foodplots are to big to shoot a bow across, however there are some that you can. These foodplots that can be shot across more than likely wont hold deer all season long, as there couldnt be that much food, if there is a fairly decent deer population... A good hunter can pattern a deer without bait, find his travel routes, locate his bedding areas, hunt the natural funnels, and know where the deers natural travel routes are and set up on them. You dont need to set up a pile of corn in front of you in order to persuade the deer to get into range, instead if you want to persuade a deer into range, use a call. Beat the deer in his elements... Hunting is all about beating your game in there elements, not cheating them.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
if your bowhunting and you can kill a deer your doing something right, i dont have to bait because i have food plots but i know guys that have small acreage less than 5 acres and they would not ever see a deer if they didnt bait, not saying its right but im not in there shoes or i might do the same, just saying

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
[rquote=1599614&tid=110929&author=poppachuck]different strokes for different folk.... theres merit to both ways of hunting.each person should hunt as they see fit-- [/rquote]

exactly, glad we live in the USA

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
[rquote=1599617&tid=110929&author=marshallgrn][rquote=1599614&tid=110929&author=poppachuck]different strokes for different folk.... theres merit to both ways of hunting.each person should hunt as they see fit-- [/rquote]

exactly, glad we live in the USA[/rquote]

Ditto on the ditto....If it's legal, do whatever trips yer switch!!
I'll be hunting bear this fall over bait, can't wait!!!!:cheers::wave:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ask yourself this, would you have felt better Fireman Brad if you would of killed that stud 175 over bait? I understand the bear hunt over bait, heck you urself may be bait, lol. But I just wouldnt feel proud if I killed a big buck over bait, I rather beat him in his natural enviroment. Alot more rewarding.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If you killed a big deer over a food plot, you DID kill it over "bait". If you killed a big deer while hunting oaks/acorns, you DID kill it over bait. If you killed a big deer under a persimmon tree, you DID kill it over bait.

Just sayin'.....

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,465 Posts
[rquote=1599681&tid=110929&author=90acres]If you are really into the challenge of it there Montauk, you should make the deer aware of your presence, then kill it.:wave:[/rquote]

:rof2::rof2::rof2::2thumbsup:

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
[rquote=1599664&tid=110929&author=Montauklunkerhunter]Ask yourself this, would you have felt better Fireman Brad if you would of killed that stud 175 over bait? I understand the bear hunt over bait, heck you urself may be bait, lol. But I just wouldnt feel proud if I killed a big buck over bait, I rather beat him in his natural enviroment. Alot more rewarding.[/rquote]

Why is bear hunting over bait different than deer hunting over bait? Because it's more widely accepted? You know there is a lot more bear hunting done that is not in a baiting situation? I don't follow your logic of saying you would rather kill a deer in it's natural environment (w/out bait), but yet in the same instance you have no problem with baiting bears (not hunting in natural environment)? IMHO you can't have it both ways. :shrug:

·
Registered
918 Posts
[rquote=1599681&tid=110929&author=90acres]If you are really into the challenge of it there Montauk, you should make the deer aware of your presence, then kill it.:wave:[/rquote]

That's funny 90acres!! :rof2:

I wonder....does he use a compound, recurve, long bow.....or does he make his own bow and arrows? There are MANY ways to add the element of "challenge" to your hunt if that is what you are after. That is why I prefer to use my old sidelock M/L with open sights during M/L season...I like the challenge of it. However, that does not mean we should be telling others how much of a challenge their hunt should be.... :whistle:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
OK, you'll have to explain to me the difference, other than the obvious, between a 175" whitetail, and a big ol 450# punkin headed blackie? Both are definite trophies in thier given species!!! Heck, there's undoubtedly more booner whitetails running around than there are booner blackbear??? Not arguing with ya, I don't hunt whitetails over bait either, but if it's legal, I don't care either way!!! If I hunted the big north woods in Canada, and a bale of hay is legal, and it'll help me see more deer, guess what I'm gonna do!!!:D:wave:

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
Now we are in for three pages of "baiting fish is legal, why not anything else?" lol

IMO, the reason these threads go so many pages is tht there are so many deviations from the main theme.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I see your point rat, however if we are dealing with the subject of fair chase and/or unfair advantage is the issue of baiting really that different whether you are hunting deer, bear.......or even trout?

Seriously though...the MDC seems to waffle on their reasoning some. At one point they'll say it's to avoid spread of disease and all that. Then someone brings up that we can put "bait" out year round, just not hunt ove it, so disease can still be spread....then they go to the "fair chase" argument.

Like I said before.....if I put bait out 340 days of the year, I will acclimate the deer to checking on that site. So removing the bait 10 days prior to hunting isn't really serving a purpose...the deer will still check the site.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
[rquote=1600009&tid=110929&author=20 feet high]I'll state it once, but a pile of corn is NOWHERE similiar no matter how you want to spin it as a planted food plot![/rquote]

Here we go... :stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

·
Banned
24,572 Posts
[rquote=1599843&tid=110929&author=atdalake]How do you make trout fishing "challenging" when you are fishing for hatchery-raised and fed fish? :confused:

:whistle:[/rquote]

sometimes it is not as easy as it looks, a river full of stockers and none will bite. I have seen alot of frustrated fishermen leave the trout parks disappointed, including the one in the mirror a time or two. :D

·
Under appreciated
91,780 Posts
Yep... I see your points atdalake and apreciatem too... but I do have to stretch a bit to see the trout analogy. :D
A feller sure can get catfish used to a feeder though eh??

As a matter of fact I see everyones points on this issue so its hard for me to make a judgement one way or another.
I'm real good at putting my foot in my mouth so I just stay on the sidelines anymore.

Several things can alter the natural movement of animals, chief among them in my mind would be breeding cycles, climate/weather, and food sources.
To expect that an animal wouldnt respond to altering the NATURAL course of any or all of those three things is unreasonable.
Now... in a natural setting, food and weather would be subject to the most extreme cycling.. that is, food may not always be available (mast production on given years, etc).
As agriculture has evolved, more acres converted.. cultivated grain crops have really (in my mind) now become a consistent food source in pocketed geographies. The deer have responded. I think this is an example of us unknowingly altering the lansdcape in terms of indigenous food sources but short of any scouting, putting a stand in A spot on 5K acres of corn probably doesnt increase your odds.

Now, SUDDENLY incorporating a small patch of grain or forage where there was none before could absolutely affect the deer travel in those areas.

Is that baiting???? not for me to decide

I do know that it is a non-native food source that was placed intentionally with the expressed intent of attracting wildlife and thats all I'll say.

I follow the rules set forth and fight to change the ones I dont agree with.
Until things are changed, I have no way of hunting outside of the regulations set forth and dont intend to.
If its allowed to plant food plots, I'll do it without struggling with whether or not it technically constitutes "baiting" by whatever definition you or anyone else provides me.
If it were legal to hunt over a pile of grain put in front of your stand the night before, I dont think I'd do that for a number of reasons. BUT, if it were legal, I'd not deny anyone the option or think any lower of em for doing it.
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.