My Turkey Slayer

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Mailman, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    This is my old Winchester Model 12 12 gauge with a 30 inch barrel with solid rib. It has the tightest pattern of all my shotguns. Under the camo tape is a beautiful birds eye maple montecarlo stock and fore arm. It has the original Whiteline recoil pad that it had on it when I bought it. It is also a great trap gun. The tape has been on there for three years now. I hope that it isn't rusted underneath the tape.

2. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo

3. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Mailman, looks real good. Is that a Magnum Model 12 3" or a 2 3/4" gun?

Jack

4. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    It is the 2 3/4 inch. I bought up a few boxes a couple of years ago just in case they stopped making turkey loads in that size. I sort of hated to cover the birds eye maple stock up with the tape but the gun shot such a tight pattern I didn't think the stock would blend in that well. It out patterns my $1600 Browning Citiori Feather O/U even with the turkey chokes. I think the Model 12 was made about the time I was born.

5. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

It may not be rusty underneath, but the glue from the tape could very well be HARD to get off....I had that problem on an old gun I worked on for a buddy....took a whole can of WD to get that sticky crap off!!! I'd uncover the birdseye....if they git close enuff to see that, they'd be close enuff to kill!!

6. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I had a 3" Mag Model but I traded it for a Model 50 Semi-Auto Winchester in the early 60s. :banghead::horse::stickfight: Thought I really needed that semi-auto for duck hunting.

Jack

7. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I've looked at those model 50's at the gun shows. How did it shoot? Would it be worth my $ just to have one for a collectors item.

8. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Yes they are worth it for a collector. I see them pretty frequently for about $350-$400. And yes it was a good duck killer. I traded it for the first of 3 Browning Auto 5 Mags. I still have the last A5.

Jack

9. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I'd like to find a Winchester model 24 20 gauge with a 26 inch modified/ improved cylinder side by side for a decent price. I passed one up two years age for $350 cause I thought it was to much money. Now they are going for $600 and up.:banghead:

10. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    Before the rifled slug barrel craze, those Auto 5's were rumored to be very good slug shooters.

I didn't really have anything else productive to add to this thread so I thought I'd throw that in ! :hysterical:

11. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

So in other words, you be as bored as I am.....lol

12. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    lookin good mailman :cheers:

13. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    I have thought about getting a used set of wood and putting it on the gun just to hunt with. I just haven't done it yet. The birds eye maple is shor purty.

14. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    I passed on a M25 about five years ago, it was the solidframe, non takedown model, very similar to the 12, at least in looks. It was $125:stickfight::boohoo: Heck, any Winchester is worth that kind of money! I also passed on an '86, but the bore was bad, it was a .40-82, and they wanted $450 for it. Sigh.............. It would have made a nice .45-90 or .45-70, rebored.

15. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Veru nice lookin gun there mailman!!
    :cheers::cheers:

16. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    (In a deep voice)....Thank Ya.......Thank Ya Very Much!

17. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    mailman i had my gun covered in tape for about 5 yrs, i always sprayed the outside of the tape down with wd40 and i never had a problem with rust. that being said it was the paper tape and not the cloth type tape. i have heard horror stories with guns rusting under the cloth type.
    some of those model 12's that where designed for waterfowl had lengthen forcing cones and more of a xtra full/trap choke constriction (.685") and shoot realy well which is old news to you. winchester new what they where doing when they put those together.

18. Mailman

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Sounds to me like just after turkey season I'll be tearing off my cloth camo tape. :frown:

19. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Mailman, I think it is HS Strut, that makes a camo gunsock...I have used one for several years on my ML shotgun. You can cut holes where you need them, for trigger guards or ejection ports, or hammers or whatever...Then when the season is over, pull it off, and admire that maple!!!

20. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    i used one this spring on my sons 1400. and the best part is that the holes cut in it will line up with my 1300 pump :banana: here's what they look like.

[​IMG]