My truck AC =$700-NOW $589

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Big L, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    2001 F150 had problems last year and kept puttin freon in it.Tried it this year only worked for a few days.Now the shop says I need a new compressor and dryer :mad2:.the truck aint that old but I guess they just dont make things to last.Also had the tranny rebuilt last year for $2000.I figured I would post this so you CHEVY and DODGE guys know that even a FORD needs a little TLC occasionally.The tranny was my fault,I quit keeping track of the numerous times I had to pull other makes of trucks out the ditches and even had to pull a few of them boys trucks and camping trailers up the hill for them.I dont really blame it on anybody but my self nobody was holdin a gun to my head makin me drag these other "so called trucks" around.:hysterical:

I did not intend to put down other makes of trucks,just stating facts,nothing more :stirpot:

HE QUOTED ME PARTS FOR AN 04 IT IS AN 01,SAVED OVER A HUN :dancin:,PRETTY HONEST GUY

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Dang.. thats a chunk of change.

You wont miss that money one bit next time its up to 98 degrees or something.

3. buddy

buddy New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    mo/ill
    there is a guy here in imperial mo, that works on a/c and he seems to be alot cheaper. u2u me if you want his name.

4. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    [rquote=1286567&tid=89975&author=buddy]there is a guy here in imperial mo, that works on a/c and he seems to be alot cheaper. u2u me if you want his name.[/rquote]

Thanks but I already had him order the parts,had to get it done,expecting the new baby August 22,mommas gotta have air and she dont like to ride in my little economizer Focus

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

Even though they are pricey fixes it is still cheaper than having payments:cheers:

6. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    I'd be going with the old standby AC--4-70 at that price

7. Bricky

Bricky Active Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Bonne Terre Mo.
    who did ya take it too

i just had lary on 47 put a alt. in the wifes 2003 f150 cost was only 206.00
    the part was 181.00

8. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    [rquote=1286704&tid=89975&author=Bricky]who did ya take it too

the part was 181.00[/rquote]

I have Larrys do everything I wont/cant do.He has always treated me very good even when he worked for Jacks

LARRY'S=STRAIGHT SHOOTER

9. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    You could do this job yourself too Big L, wife has a 2000 F-150 and I hate mechanical type stuff and I put the alternator in and new belt. Don't think it'd be that hard

10. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Woosies....

I was 28 years old before I had my first vehicle that had air conditioning.

:thinking:Covered wagons weren't equipped with air conditioning.

11. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Probably could do it myself,but I would have to take it there to have the system pressurized anyway.And every thing I do requires so many beer breaks and bloody knuckles and cussing about I should have just took it to the shop and let them do it.So much easier just to send the woman there with the checkbook :cheers:

12. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Gotta keep that money stream a flowing.....Its the American Way.

Share da wealth!!...:dancin:

13. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    [rquote=1286764&tid=89975&author=Mailman]Woosies....

I was 28 years old before I had my first vehicle that had air conditioning.

:thinking:Covered wagons weren't equipped with air conditioning.[/rquote]

They also really got fast once they figured out that round wheel thing:rof2:

14. Doubleshot75

Doubleshot75 Active Member

Nov 6, 2006
    I must have a leak in my 03' dodge. I went to Autozone and bought a "recharging" kit, and it works fine now but I'm sure that it's only a temp fix. Let me know who that guy is in Imperial because I may need some help!!

DS

15. Tornado6

Tornado6 New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    St Charles
    I just spent $1009 on my car's a/c.

I got 236,xxx miles out of this system, so I'm not complaining.

16. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    evaporator core for you dodge guys

17. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    [rquote=1286913&tid=89975&author=Jeremy]evaporator core for you dodge guys[/rquote]

Jeremy what would make my compressor and dryer go out at the same time,or is it just sensible to change both while you are at it,I know nothing about AC.2001 F150 130,000 MILES

18. atdalake

atdalake New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Missouri
    [rquote=1286704&tid=89975&author=Bricky]who did ya take it too

the part was 181.00[/rquote]

If you do not need it repaired immediately. Take the alternator off and have them rebuilt at a motor shop. There used to be a really good one in Jeff City and I never paid over $40-$50 parts and labor for them to rebuild my alternator or starter.....and I never paid the God awful new or rebuilt price from a parts store.

I'm willing to bet you could find an elec. motor shop in your area that does it.

19. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1286920&tid=89975&author=Big L][rquote=1286913&tid=89975&author=Jeremy]evaporator core for you dodge guys[/rquote]

Jeremy what would make my compressor and dryer go out at the same time,or is it just sensible to change both while you are at it,I know nothing about AC.2001 F150 130,000 MILES[/rquote]

the dryer is replaced with the compressor for warranty purposes. when a compressor fails internaly, metal shavings end up flowing through the ac system and end up in the dryer. its a precautionary deal so none of those shavings get inside that new compressor.

20. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Gotcha,thanks