MY TOY IS COMMING TOGETHER

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by JimH, Mar 7, 2006.

1. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    Well i have a m77/.17hmr receiver on the way (not s.s. though) and i just ordered a Green Mountain S.S. flueted sporter tapered barrel for it. now i guess i need to go on midway and get the target sear ordered. if i ever run across a s.s. action i'll just sell this blued one.

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    awesome, i bet it'll be a shooter :cheers:

3. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Jim, the blued and SS will look good together.:)

Jack

4. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    Jack, it's gonna have to ;)
    i'm goona slap it all together when it arives and shoot it some. then i'll do the trigger and this summer i'll have it bedded. we'll se what dif. in groups it makes. i've thought about sending out the action to have the action trued but don't know if i will. i have to get some good glass for it and that will be a priority.

5. jshull4105

jshull4105 New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Odessa MO
    Good for you, I hope it shoots fine. Hows the 77 we have in common shoot for you.

6. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    justin it shot ok to good as you had it but it shot much better once inside the walnut stock. i don't know if i got lucky with the amount of torqe i used (free handed). anyway i got 1/2" groups at 50 yrds and was pleased. i did fool with some better ammom and got a couple of 3/8" groups but i haven't done enough to call it a sub m.o.a. gun yet. but it is a joy to shoot. i also did the target sear thing and that helped too. this .17hmr will have green mountains factory tappered barrel in s.s. , i will have just a tad of inletting to do near the receiver. for a couple inches of the barrel. i hope it's a shooter. i'll get both bedded this summer at some point. i really wanted a s.s. action for this one too but i jumped on the blue one while i could. i can always sell it if i find a s.s. action. if memory serves me right you used Randy for some work on one of your m77/22's didn't you? and if you did do you feel it's worth the $$ ? if this works well i may add the .22 lr barrel from g.m. to the .22lr at a later time. i like the looks and wt of this barrel.

[​IMG]

Edit: i just got word the ffl and money order was received today. the action goes into the mail tomorrow. i just might have it this weekend. :banana::banana:

7. Crappie

Crappie Slab Master

:banana:Sounds like a dandy...

8. jshull4105

jshull4105 New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Odessa MO
    Randy is definatly (spell:wink:) worth the money. When I put together my .17 It was a
    77/17 action
    GreeN mountain 20" stainles fluted barrel, which I had teflon coated.
    I sent it to randy and had it fitted and setback, a trigger job and got the bolt jeweled.
    then I set it all in a Richards micro fit, tack driver stock.
    At 50 yards I could shoot in the .2's and at a 100 yards it was 3's to 4's.

I sold it, cause it was way to heavy for the Carry rifle I ws going for it weighed almost 12 lbs without the scope.

Now I think I am stuck on cz's

9. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    that's why i went with the sporter tapered barrlel. this will be a carry rifle. if i want to spend the day at the bench i'll drag my savage model 12 .223 :D
    what does having it set back do for ya?
    this sporter barrel is 22" long, but i may have it cut back some. i'll shoot it and see.

10. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    :banana::banana::banana: guess what got delivered today. :eek:

11. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    well i ordered the Cabelas pine ridge scope for the .17, it is designed for the .17hmr similar to the sweet 17 bsa except a lot clearer. it comes in a side focus model and two diff power models. i went with the 6-18x40 model. also on the .22 i finaly got the trigger gaurd and mag well liner buffed out to match the S.S. action. as soon as my mounts get in i'll put the scopes on them and then look out. i'll have a good looking pair of ruger rimfires.:rotfl:

12. Thayer

Thayer New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Imperial, Mo
    :dancin: Need pics!

Just realized that I don't have very many pics of my guns...

I can post some pics of my bedding of the action and barrel on my ruger 10/22. It shoots dime groups at 50 yards.

I would like to see your work in progress...if you can keep your tricks out of the pics.

13. Lefty

Lefty New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    MO
    Dang it, ya beat me to it!!! :pop::pop::pop:

14. JimH

JimH Active Member

Nov 6, 2003
    St. Louis
    thayer, mine isn't bedded yet and i have never done one as of yet. i don't know if i'm gonna give one of these a try or take it to someone to bed. what i really want to do is to watch someone do it before i end up glueing my action to a stock.:rotfl: i'll post some pictures of the two after i get the scope rings. i have low mounts but i need at least med's.
    for the .22 i bought the Sightron BR 6x that midway had on sale at thr first of the month. it has very fine target cross hair and an A.O. they where normaly 323.00 and they had a factory closeout on them for 123.00 they didn't last long at that price. like a stated it is a fixed 6x scope and has a 44mm objective lens. the pine ridge is as stated above with a 40mm objective lens. but that one has the side focus wheel. the .22 will be a squirrel/plinker rifle. this will be all for me for the year with the exception of getting a barrel for my sons deer rifle yet. next year i want to upgrade a shotgun or two.