My quest

Discussion in 'Hunting With A Disability' started by leaker19, Mar 24, 2006.

1. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    I've hunted deer since I turned sixteen. Back when I was a kid, that was the minimum age to go after deer in NY. I was amazed when I moved to Missouri and there were like second graders out hunting deer. I guess I hunted deer because my Dad hunted deer. Hunting very loosely describes my Father's actions. Every October or early November, his Ithaca Model 37 would come out of the gun cabinet, he would put on the slug barrel and he would pump a handful of slugs through it, fairly accurately too. He would buy his license and tags every year and go to the back of our ten acres and walk around or maybe sit a bit. Every other season or so, he may have even shot at and missed a deer. My Dad is 71 last Christams and never taken a deer, but always hunted. When I was old enough, I picked up my Dad's habit, except my Ithaca was a 20 guage. We had another difference though too. I had the bug bad! I really wanted to get me one of them deer! Well ten years and one failed attempt at college later, I still had not filled one NY deer tag and believe me, I had my chances. I was putting slugs all over our field. The biggest deer I have ever shot at was in 1994 or 1995 on Thanksgiving Day. It was a monster! My Dad parked our truck in the usual spot with me in the bed then walked to his normal post. Just a few moments after my dad was out of sight this buck pops out of the western fenceline and starts walking east across the field about 100 yards from me. I really can't remember what I was thinking, but it was nothing rational. It gets as near to me as its line will take it and I let her rip. I am putting slugs down there to beat the band, wth no apparent ill efect on this huge buck. I'm out of shells and it's through the other fenceline and here comes Dad "What was all that?" My neighbors came a runnin' too and informed us that the buck I shot at was the monster fourteen pointer that was haunting our properties. Unfortunately, that was news to my father and I. We weren't the scouting types. That may have been the last season I ever hunted in NY. Shortly after that, I moved to Missouri to give college another shot. Made it through CMSU in Warrensburg, then law school at Mizzou. After that, my wife and I settled down in the fall of 2000 in Cooper County. Along the way in Missouri, I associated myself with folks who actually hunted deer and have taken game. I picked up a little knowledge here and there, then in the antlerless portion in January 2001, I killed my first deer, a nice big doe in the driveway of a classmate's 90 acre farm. We fried up the inner loins that night. They fed his family and my wife ahh . . . finally success. The advantages of a large Missouri deer herd and high powered rifles with modern optics intersected with the bug my father gave my in my youth. I wish my dad would have been there, but he was the first person I called. The second was my classmate. He was astounded that I had killed a deer in his driveway. Since that January day, I have taken so many deer that I have to sit and think about it to get the right number. I never thought I would be that way, but here I am. Nine or ten, maybe eight, I'm not sure. I've even killed one with a black powder rifle. It's not as hard to be a successful deer hunter as I once thought it was. When I was in NY I absolutely marveled at people who had taken deer. I started thinking about this after the Swan Lake hunt this year. I am looking for a new challenge. I want to get out of my truck and into the woods. Then a germ of an idea formed in my mind . . . I am going to bow hunt. Well, I started tinkering with a bow I have had for a while. After putzing around with it for a little bit, I realized something. I need to be stronger and more physically fit. About three weeks ago I put down my bow and picked up some hand weights. Every other day, I go through a series of lifts that I picked out through research on the Internet. When the weather is nice, I have been taking four mile rides on my bike. Well tonight, I am home alone and I picked up my bow again. The last time I had it in my hands - disappointment. Tonight the string came back more easily! Progress! I took out my allen wrenches and tightened each limb a full one and one quarter turn and I could still draw it. I have never drawn a bow that heavy! Eyeballing it, I think it's up to 42 or 43 lbs. Whoowho! I am on my way. I still need to keep getting stronger. My bow maxes out at 50 lbs and I think I'll get there, then I'll see how I shoot it. Along the way I have been tricking it out a little. I put a whisker biscuit on it because if I spasm some, I think it will keep my arrow on the rest and when all is said and done I think my draw might be a little hurky jerky. I want to put a new sight on it too. Any suggestions? I can't tell you good folks how great it felt to see some improvement tonight. I'm really on top of the world! Every morning I look in the mirror and think, nope still the same, now I know different. There's still a lot to do, but I'm on my quest. I need to get stronger, I need to develop enough proficiency with my bow so that I feel I can take deer. I'm not out there to be wounding them. I might never get there and maybe I'll just shoot paper. I need to find a place to get into with my chair and bow hunt from the ground, hopefully my back back yard in the cedar trees. It's full of deer, but it's cable company property and I'm afraid to ask. I'm a lawyer and if I was the cable company, I wouldn't let me hunt there. The devil in me is screaming it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. I'm working on him. Deep down inside I'm just happy that my quest is about making a better, stronger me, so however it works out it should leave me in a better place than where I started. I'll keep you all posted. I'll leave you with a picture of my new and improved left arm. Sorry ladies, this one's taken. :)

Have a great weekend folks! If you made it this far, thanks for reading it. Time to go exercise.

leaker

2. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    Here's a recent one from my back back yard.

3. JarJar

JarJar New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    From my experience, I would suggest to keep the bow a little less wieght. This way you can still lift and exercise, but also practice shooting. Practice is the key! Being able to hit the exact spot that you are aiming at will beat the speed anyday (increased draw weight increases arrow speed). Also, drawing a bow will come easier with more practice pulling the bow back. I think that you are well on your way to becoming a successful bowhunter! :cheers:

PS....I would invest in a good ground blind and place that in your backyard!

Keep up updated on your progress!

4. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Thats good to hear. You may be surprised at how dead you can kill a deer with a 43 pound draw. Keep workin at it,,,,I see a bow kill in your future.

:cheers::cheers:

5. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Leaker, more power to you!!:eek: I think you already have it figured out that about 90% of any type of hunting is Mind over Matter.;) With your determination you will be successful in taking a deer with a bow.:dancin:

Jack

6. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

Leaker, if you continue to work out, you're going to continue to remain healthy and THAT is more important than killing a deer. Killing the deer is a secondary motivation to your health and I wish you luck.

7. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I just read recently about a female traditional bowhunter, that killed a bull elk with a 43 lbs recurve!!! That leads me to believe that a 43 lbs compound would take no prisoners on a whitetail!!!

8. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    I wish you all the best, Leaker...

Like you, I challenge myself once in awhile.

Actually, your challenge reminds me of when I had shoulder surgery, and my goal was to get back in shape for hunting that Fall.

I religiously did my therapy every day, morning & evening, and then some. When hunting season rolled around, I ended up taking my best buck ever.

And believe me ~ I earned that buck. Every time I look at the mount on my wall, I'm reminded of how it got there.

BTW ~ How's 'bout sharing some of those exercises you talked about? I'm wanting to get back into better shape (round's a shape :D ). I have the weights, but I can't find my old exercise regimen I had printed out.

9. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    http://www.babilonarts.com/Media/Flash/Weights/Index..html

I do most of the basic lifts on this webpage. I use these neat things called Thera-Bands (click it) to simulate a bench press. It's difficult to get on and off a bench, but with the thera-bands I can just get in bed. IMHO, disabled folks don't get enough cardio, so that's why I incorporate the bike work. I feel great after a 30 to 60 minute ride around my neighborhood, just awesome! I took a 24 mile ride on the Katy Trail once that almost ended in divorce court, but that's another story. A couple of summers ago I took my first bike ride with my brother Jeffrey. Inside I almost cried. What a feeling for a kid who was left home when his older brothers took off on their bikes. EVERY DISABLED CHILD SHOULD HAVE A HANDCYCLE, IT IS A CRIME THEY ARE SO EXPENSIVE. BTW, bike is hyperlinked in my first post.

leaker

10. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Thanks, Leaker...

BTW ~ A trick I learned in rehab:

Take the large wheels off a wheelchair, and mount them on the bar the bench weights go on, for a safer bench press. The wheels won't allow the bar to come down & choke you, if dropped.

All you gotta do is slide underneath them, and you're ready to work-out. I used to have a raised bench, that was about 8' square, with padding, so I didn't worry about falling off the bench.

11. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Leaker, that is a great story. Keep up the good work. I like your quest and hope that you fulfill that dream. I might suggest you to set another goal... that being to get your 71 year old dad to Missouri during rifle season so he can kill his first deer ever. :cheers:

12. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Leaker...man, you got the kind of attitude that will afford you very few limititations in life, whatever "challenge" you decide to chase. :eek:

I'm with jar jar... if your bow is at a comfortable weight for you, start practicing. I started shooting when I was bout 8 and fell out of the sport bout halfway through college. I seriously got back into archery bout 10 yrs ago, I was out of "draw shape" and tried to go too fast. I ended up with a shoulder injury that put me back about 10 months.

Ease into it... let the bow and your repetitive practice dictate your pace. I also agree that a well placed ground blind can be very effective. Get you a nice one... one that fits your needs and practice shooting out of it.

Dont forget your camera and gl!

13. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    NC
    Great story Leaker - very inspirational! Keep your body and mind in good shape, the rest will follow (tips from the forum will help too). Thanks for sharing, and all the best!:eek:

14. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County

Took me awhile, but I finally found it...whew :rotfl:

NICE ride...
    [​IMG]

15. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    My wife caught me in my office/gun room/MWT work station this morning. Now she knows what I do in here. :frown: Ten point rack from the Truman hunt is in the background, inspiration!

I got a Hubert target set up ay my friend's house. As it turns out, my neighbor works there and I got it for his discount (100%)! I was very happy. I have a great neighborhood!

My draw is getting stronger and more sure. I have a new sight on the way from Carolina Archery, the Foxfire. I'll be shooting soon.

leaker

16. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    Way to go, buddy!

17. henry

Glad to see your still workin at it. Is that your normal shooting form???? if so I wonder if a chest protector might be a good idea for when you get in a hunting situation and are wearing more clothing. Those things may be the ticket for holding the clothes out of the way to prevent them from getting in the way of string travel when you release.

18. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    Could have been better . . .

Well, I did my first shooting session with my bow. My buddy says, we got a big back stop let's try 20 yards. That first arrow could still be flying for all we know, it's over the back stop heading for parts unknown. Maybe we should try 15 yards. Second shot strings left, out in the pasture somewhere. Let's move forward 5 yards. Why don't I just go up and stab the freakin' thing my pride answers. Third shot, off target, but thankfully in the back stop. Buddy recovers it, I shoot again and it promptly joins the other two in my captive arrow release project. Fly arrows, be free! 8 minutes of semi action and three lost arrows.

Lessons:

Shoot from 10 yards for starters.

My youth bow, 27 inch draw, 48 lbs. is fast, or seems fast to me. My buddy has a coumpound that was probably a real hot property when Reagan was president, but I think my bow gets the arrow to the target faster. (Actually, we both think that)

Shooting is fun, hopefully shooting better will be more fun.

It's only April.

This is a long term project, I'm trying to stay upbeat, but wish I would have shot better.

leaker

19. henry

Don't sweat it leaker,,,,its a beginning. You have to develope your own form since your shooting from the chair.Once you develope your form the consistancy and bullseyes will follow.

20. mrmurph

mrmurph Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2005
    NW Missouri
    Keep up the good work Leaker! I know you can reach your goal.