My picture of Hollywood

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by Bowpredator, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Was doing some packing and moving today and came accross my picture of Hollywood that I always keep with my work stuff. There's a story behind my picture of Hollywood.

Back when I started my job I was a little bit younger and dressed pretty sharp. One guy who I quickly became close friends with nicknamed me "Hollywood" due to my sharp dressed habit. It caught on and many folks there called me that for several years.

One of these folks was an older guy named Jack. He was single and a little bit of an oddball. Everybody got along with him but he just never seemed to fit in. He took a vacation one week and was heading to California, alone as usual.

When he got back he was anxious to tell us all of the sights and things he did. We all listened half heartedly and soon everyone "needed" to get back to work. Before we did, Jack presented me with a picture and said "Here, this is for you." I looked at the picture which was centered on a street. It looked as if he had stood in the middle of the street and took a picture down the street. There were parked cars on each side but I didnt notice anything specific about it so I asked him what it was suppose to be a picture of. He then pointed out that towards the top of the picture in the background there was the Hollywood letters up on the hillside that you always see on TV. He had stopped and took a picture of it for me. I told him thanks and sort of thought to myself it was a little goofy.

I stuck the picture in one of my desk drawyers and kinda of forgot about it till many months later when Jack hadnt showed up for work for a few days without notice. His supervisor made the trip to his house and no one answered. With the local police and the landlord there providing access into the apartment, they made the gruesome discovery that Jack had decided to take his own life. There was a note but its contents were not shared with any of us so we will never know the reasons why.

Ever since that, I try to take the time to pay a little more attention to the details. Dont be in such a hurry and possibly miss what is in the big picture. That picture that I once thought was silly stays by my workstation now. One glance at it reminds me that none of us are insignificant. Just thought I'd share that story.
  2. Thanks for sharin' :cheers:. You just never know sometimes.

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
  4. Fla_Guy

Fla_Guy Active Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Good story, thanks for sharing. It really makes you think and reflect.
  5. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Good story Bowpredator.

I try to live with the fear that tomorrow will never come for either myself or the person I am dealing with. I try to leave nothing unsaid. I try to "listen" ever chance I get.

Your story encourages me to carry on with that attittude, even though sometimes it becomes difficult to do. :cheers:
  6. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Too good of a post to let get burried on page 2! :cheers:
  7. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Good post bowpredator thanks for sharing.
  8. shortmag

shortmag New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    I really appreciate you sharing. One of the people I most respect in my life shared with me this motto I try to live by:

Yesterday is the past I cannot change....
    We do not have the promise of tomorrow for it may never come....
    All I have is right here, right now...Today. I will live it to the fullest and try to lift up and edify my God and those who try to make a difference in my life.

So often we are too busy being busy that we overlook those who truly care and work to edify us. My thoughts and prayers are with those who lose the strength to carry on in prensent time. Challenge yourself to take a moment every day to say thank you to someone whom you normally wouldnt think deserves it.
  9. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Well,.... thank you BP.
  10. xxx

xxx Guest

:cheers::cheers: Good story BP..... Thanks for posting it.....