Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first year "learning" how to plat and hunt over food plots. I most likely will be unable to get any seed planted until late August into September. With that being the case what can I plant that I can hunt over in the fall? I understand that clover would be good but won't come up until the next spring and fall. Is WW my best bet with some turnips? Thanks

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
i would stay as far away from turnips as you can imo, ww is good or some oats i tried oats this year and deer and turkey nailed them hard early season

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
brasicas are hit & miss on many properties. Mostly miss on mine, but others have good results. They're cheap & easy to grow, so they're a good choice. WW or WR are also good choices for fall plots.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
yes you can do a mix, i would frost seed the clover late next fall like november, im not a clover authority though ive not had much success with it

·
Registered
18,797 Posts
I would go with rye grain, it is better than wheat at recycling nutrients that you put on, also try some rape or brassicas. I had great luck with deer liking the tops, but they would not touch the actual turnips on my place. Like PW said, others have good luck with them eating the turnips, but I can say a grinner LOVES turnips from my observations. :D

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
[rquote=1566815&tid=108969&author=BowtechAdm]Can i mix WW and WR together? And if so when they come up is it a bad idea to toss some clover into the plot as well?[/rquote]

All of the above at the same time will work just fine. Winter grains are a great choice to combine with clover. Helps hold moisture the next summer & out competes weeds while clover is getting established.:cheers:

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
If i only had one place to plant to hunt over i would probably not plant turnips or any brassicas for that matter. As some have stated the deer may not use them. If you can plant more than one plot it might not hurt to try some tho.

I would stick with ww/wr with some clover thrown in for a first time plot and be assured that i would see some deer use.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
ww and clover for sure, I'd put some turnips or rape in one side or the other and see what the deer like. Good luck. :wave:

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,469 Posts
[rquote=1567449&tid=108969&author=Gamegetter]ww and clover for sure, I'd put some turnips or rape in one side or the other and see what the deer like. Good luck. :wave:[/rquote]

I actually throw a few turnips in with my WW & they do just fine. Deer don't eat many, but I like em. Momma don't though, they make me stink.:rof2::rof2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.