Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
High-tech Hillbilly
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My dear friend, John Pruitt, 80 years young, killed this fine gobbler Saturday afternoon on his place on Shut In Gap Mountain near Spring City, TN. If you've read any of my black powder posts, then you probably know that John is an accomplished gunsmith and bowyer and has made every one of my flintlocks as well as the one you see in the photo.

What makes this kill extra special is the way John turkey hunts. He doesn't call at all and he spends most of his time hunting from a tree stand. He'll sit on a field edge and just patiently wait for a tom to walk within range. Despite the low percentage of success this method has, he gets more chances each season than I do! And the stories I get to hear about all his mistakes are definitely worth listening to. But every now and then, he gets it all together and brings home a bird.

Sure am proud of you, my friend!

Darren

·
1,082 Posts
Let's ya know that you dont need all that fancy camo and tools to be successful. Awesome job gettin er done!

·
Biology nit wit exposer
79,868 Posts
Thats awesome. (y)

·
Registered
69,211 Posts
I know the older I get the less I move around in the turkey woods. Not really a proven tactic to take Mr. Longbeard but from necessity from creaky joints. I'm sneaking up on my 73rd birthday next month.

·
King of Callaway
42,472 Posts
Nicely done

1 - 7 of 7 Posts