Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the deal. You might remember that back in July or so I sprayed the bottom field with RU in preparation for the coming spring NWSG planting. I was initially going to do the whole field in one big stand of a mix of various grasses but after talking to some folks on here (thanks Dano, I think:D) they have got me to rethink this plan. Now I am considering planting the NWSG in strips, say 30 feet wide or so but I am having trouble in deciding what to plant in the off strips. This field is approximately 80 yards wide and 330 yards long in is more or less a rectangle. In the middle of this is my WW plot that is roughly 80 yards by 40 yards. I would like to leave this plot in place and I will rotate the crops within. Now all of you EXPERTS gimme some great ideas as to what to do with this field and keep in mind that the main objective is Quail, not deer. I also have another field that is adjacent to this one and its about an acre square with a blackberry patch about 20' by 30' in the middle and I would also like to leave that as well. Fire away boys!!!:cheers::cheers:

·
Jenny's Lackey
46,684 Posts
Timothy is wildlife friendly. If I remember right, my pond seeding was timothy, brome & clover.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
If your main objective is quail then I would not seed anything in the strips besides the NWSG...I would just keep the soil disturbed or sprayed every couple of years and let the ragweed go wild!!!

For perspective, when I worked at the Atlanta CA and Longbranch trapping quail and applying radiocollars on them, one ended up dying and it was full of ragweed seeds which is funny since corn and beans was close by :cheers:

It's the second best food behind korean lespedeza.

If you want to spend some money though, Illinois bundleflower, PPC, partridge pea (if some is not already there) would be great choices for quail. The ultimate is korean lespedeza for qual food and it will come back year after year from seed if you keep the soil disturbed.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,172 Posts
A clover lespadeza mix sown at about 1/2 the seeding rate would provide food and still leave room for bare dirt and ragweed etc. You could maintain it for a few years with a grass specific herbicide.:thinking:

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it just so happens that I've got about 10 lbs of Korean Lespedeza from last year that I never did get planted. I could use that plus some other "stuff" and surely come up with a good mix. What about some foxtail or some German Millet?

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Originally posted by jaytee
Well it just so happens that I've got about 10 lbs of Korean Lespedeza from last year that I never did get planted. I could use that plus some other "stuff" and surely come up with a good mix. What about some foxtail or some German Millet?
I would do what Henry recommended....put some clover with it. You don't want to shade out the lespedeza. :cheers:

·
Biology nit wit exposer
81,172 Posts
Originally posted by jaytee
. What about some foxtail or some German Millet?
That would eliminate the option of herbicide maintinance,,,but would provide winter food. I just hate the thought of sowing a weed,,even for the wildlife.

:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shouldn't the NWSG provide some winter food from the seed heads? Guess a guy could always intermix some milo.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
Did I talk you out of the whole field? :confused: Was that in the too much grass discussion?

I do like the strip concept, however, I think the exact same thing can be accomplished by sowing the whole field and rotating plots, strip discing, etc like henry was saying. Although I still don't think you need to put grass in the whole thing.

Quail really don't eat much WSG seed. Maybe some sideoats, but thats about it.

You could jayee use the non WSG strips as a legume buffet, Korean lespedeza, Illinois Bungleflower, beggar ticks, purple prairie clover, partrigde pea, etc.

As far as plots, I love milo, german millet, and now based on this year's plot quail haven trailing soybeans.

BTW Jaytee, any idea how good of a kill you got on the fescue?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dano if your talking about the fescue on the hillside that I sprayed back in Nov. for the wildflower project I think I may have gotten a decent kill. Standing in the sprayed area and looking across to the unsprayed, it seems there is a little bit more green over there but there is so much brown around here now that its kinda hard to tell really. Guess I'll find out come mid March or so. As far as the bottom field, what I'll "probably" do is plant the NWSG in 30 to 40 foot strips and then a clover/lespedeza mix in between. This way if I do decide to hay it like I had originally planned to do when it was gonna be a whole field stand, it would still make it worth while. If I go with 30 foot strips and the field is 240 or so wide, that would give me 4 complete laps around the field and I could mix it 1 row of grass, 1 row of clover, 1 row of grass, one row of clover. That would cover the entire 240 foot width.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts