Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

My new water hole is full

2K views 51 replies 20 participants last post by  Bowhunter4life 
#1 ·
After the rain last week my water hole filled up.

See less See more
#8 ·
[rquote=1289729&tid=89684&author=showmethejewels]Looks like CWD and EHD in the waiting....can you give me one good reason a person would waste resources putting a drinking hole in? :shrug:[/rquote]

He had a low spot in the field that held water. I also believe he said there is limited water sources in the area,,,so he decided to try enlarging it so it held enough water to be useful.

:cheers::cheers:

#9 ·
[rquote=1289729&tid=89684&author=showmethejewels]Looks like CWD and EHD in the waiting....can you give me one good reason a person would waste resources putting a drinking hole in? :shrug:[/rquote]

yep, cuz Lord knows thoese animals never eat or drink anywhere near each other any other time or place.:bored: btw, MO has not had a single case of CWD to date, so dont worry yourself too much.
a bit about EHD
The mode of transmission of EHD in nature is via a Culicoides biting fly or midge. Culicoides variipennis is the most commonly incriminated vector in North America. A common observation in outbreaks involving large numbers of deer - as in Michigan, New Jersey and Alberta - is that they are single epizootics which do not recur. Die-offs involving small numbers of deer - as experienced in South Dakota and Nebraska - occur almost annually, and the disease appears to be enzootic in these areas. All documented outbreaks of EHD have occurred during late summer and early fall (August-October) and have ceased abruptly with the onset of frost.
sleep soundly my friend

#12 ·

That spot was a mudhole that rarely dried up anyways. I just dug it a little deeper so it held enough water to make it last longer in the dry summer months.

The creek usually dries up during the summer and there is no water on my property. So no water = no deer. If I have water there year round I will also have deer there year round.

You should have seen the number of deer tracks there already before I dug it out. Lots of snot being swapped there already as far as spreading diseases.

#13 ·
[rquote=1289948&tid=89684&author=Jeremy][rquote=1289729&tid=89684&author=showmethejewels]Looks like CWD and EHD in the waiting....can you give me one good reason a person would waste resources putting a drinking hole in? :shrug:[/rquote]

yep, cuz Lord knows thoese animals never eat or drink anywhere near each other any other time or place.:bored: btw, MO has not had a single case of CWD to date, so dont worry yourself too much.
a bit about EHD
The mode of transmission of EHD in nature is via a Culicoides biting fly or midge. Culicoides variipennis is the most commonly incriminated vector in North America. A common observation in outbreaks involving large numbers of deer - as in Michigan, New Jersey and Alberta - is that they are single epizootics which do not recur. Die-offs involving small numbers of deer - as experienced in South Dakota and Nebraska - occur almost annually, and the disease appears to be enzootic in these areas. All documented outbreaks of EHD have occurred during late summer and early fall (August-October) and have ceased abruptly with the onset of frost.
sleep soundly my friend[/rquote]

EHD is caused from a biting midge that is much like a mosquito in which it lays its eggs in stagnet water holes...bucks suffer from ehd more than does b'/c the midge bites the antlers...in the summer the blood is right at the surface of the velvet. Ehd has completely wiped out captive deer herds here...In capativity you guessed it the deer drink out of the same stagnet water in which case if the fly is prevelant in the hole more than likely each deer that visits the hole will at some point get bit.....However luckily you said it was the only source of water on your place right? I know youre not anywhere close to my farm so I am not too worried.....good luck with your mosquito pit

#14 ·
[rquote=1290488&tid=89684&author=showmethejewels][rquote=1289948&tid=89684&author=Jeremy][rquote=1289729&tid=89684&author=showmethejewels]Looks like CWD and EHD in the waiting....can you give me one good reason a person would waste resources putting a drinking hole in? :shrug:[/rquote]

a bit about EHD

EHD is caused from a biting midge that is much like a mosquito in which it lays its eggs in stagnet water holes...bucks suffer from ehd more than does b'/c the midge bites the antlers...in the summer the blood is right at the surface of the velvet. Ehd has completely wiped out captive deer herds here...In capativity you guessed it the deer drink out of the same stagnet water in which case if the fly is prevelant in the hole more than likely each deer that visits the hole will at some point get bit.....However luckily you said it was the only source of water on your place right? I know youre not anywhere close to my farm so I am not too worried.....good luck with your mosquito pit[/rquote]

its not mine....but anyway, he stated in a revious post on this very subject while digging the hole.....water layed in there already. so, how exactly is this any different than the sitting water that was already there? we have 3 ponds and a creek running through our place, so i'm not worried about it one way or the other.

#15 ·
[rquote=1289919&tid=89684&author=henry][rquote=1289729&tid=89684&author=showmethejewels]Looks like CWD and EHD in the waiting....can you give me one good reason a person would waste resources putting a drinking hole in? :shrug:[/rquote]

He had a low spot in the field that held water. I also believe he said there is limited water sources in the area,,,so he decided to try enlarging it so it held enough water to be useful.

:cheers::cheers:[/rquote]

and because it will be a magnet for deer....they do tend to drink a lot of H2O. IMO it is an absolutely overlooked part of the deer strategery...

#16 ·
[r/quote]

Plagirism

found your source for ya Jeremy
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26647--,00.html

#17 ·
[rquote=1290498&tid=89684&author=showmethejewels][r/quote]

Plagirism

Wow, now we are being graded.

#20 ·
[rquote=1290500&tid=89684&author=Son of Mailman][rquote=1290498&tid=89684&author=showmethejewels][r/quote]

Plagirism

Wow, now we are being graded. [/rquote]

i was unaware this was an essay...perhaps i should start making my replies in MLA format with a works cited entry afterwards:2thumbsup::2thumbsup::rules:

#24 ·
I don't know how we have any deer at all...since all water holes create ehd???:blah:

It is nature...if ehd is prevalent...you probably have too many deer sharing that water source.

Somebody come up with a way to prevent ehd...on the otherhand...don't bother...let nature do her thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.