My new obsession

Discussion in 'Social Club 2011' started by cfdjay, May 28, 2009.

1. cfdjay

cfdjay New Member

Sep 5, 2004
  2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    It sure sounds like you bro!

Looks like a blast... hunt of a lifetime for sure.

3. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    [rquote=1277806&tid=89422&author=rat]

Looks like a blast... hunt of a lifetime for sure.[/rquote]

no doubt

4. cfdjay

cfdjay New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    When I first started reading it I was like "Oh, I could do that next year" then you read on and start adding up all the "add $150" and if you want to come back alive add another $600...:blah::blah:

I think when all was said and done you can do the 10 day d.i.y. hunt for around $2500.

5. cfdjay

cfdjay New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Anyone with any thoughts or experiences to something similar?

6. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    Not any complete thoughts yet,

A guy at our church recently moved down here from Alaska and I have been picking his brain a little at a time.

He says a DIY hunt up there is quite possible and affordable. Most DIY'ers head up around the pipeline where game is plentiful.

Have to be in good shape because there are no motorized vehicles allowed and you are not allowed to hunt within like 5 miles of the pipeline so you have to pack in all your gear and set up camp way back in there.

He says there is no reason a guy shouldn't be able to take whatever he is after if you time it right and still not break the bank.

I'll talk with him some more this weekend, just let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know.

7. cfdjay

cfdjay New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks my friend!! :cheers:

8. clansey

clansey New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Bozeman, MT
    This would be my dream hunt.

9. Buckngator

Buckngator New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    [rquote=1277927&tid=89422&author=cfdjay]Anyone with any thoughts or experiences to something similar?[/rquote]
    I worked with a guy in CO and he and his wife did a fly in Caribou hunt and he said it was the adventure of a lifetime. Limited to what they could take in weight wise, the plane would fly over every 2-3 days and if you had meat to get out you had to hang a flag at the base camp and be there at a certain time or you got passed over. Also said to carry a large cal. handgun and sleep with it, bears were a big item and constantly nearby, especially after killing something, seems like a gunshot is like ringing a dinner bell for the them. He and his wife are avid outdoors people, hunting, fishing, horses, and fitness fanatics and he said he was physically beat after the trip. He told me that there is nothing he knows of that compared to the toughness of the terrain, and he usually horsebacks in for elk in CO above the treeline, he also told me that just walking accross the marshy tundra is physically exhausting, let alone packing out meat until 2 or 3 in the morning. I would say if you are going to do this type of hunt do it while you are young and be in the best physical condition. He did say it was extremely rewarding but he said he sure missed his mules.

10. cfdjay

cfdjay New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Sounds great. There's a lot of info out there on the net so I guess I'll log in some research hours. Seems this 40 mile air has a heckuva good reputation... but still seems a bit pricey.

11. yankee

yankee Senior Member

only info i have is, i have family in fairbanks and juno alaska, been invited up more than once to hunt and fish, never seems to work out, but about every third year we attempt plans

12. cfdjay

cfdjay New Member

Sep 5, 2004
    [rquote=1278541&tid=89422&author=yankee]only info i have is, i have family in fairbanks and juno alaska, been invited up more than once to hunt and fish, never seems to work out, but about every third year we attempt plans[/rquote]

You're killing me.