Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a couple ares I want to plant this spring and I have no idea what to do. not sure what the soil conditiond are but I sure they are not good I plan on putting lime down. I have a tractor and a dics and a spring tooth harrow. I have access to a pto driven speader hopefully that will work for lime. Here a a pic of the one area I want to plant it is in laclede county donw south. It is on a ridge got lots of sign in it any advice will help on what to plant i plan on cutting down the trees in the middle of it. thanks

[file]45179[/file]

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
You can't go wrong with chicory. That does look like a clover/chicory plot in the making.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I would suggest dozing the trees out if possible, those stumps will drive you crazy trying to work around. Looks like a great spot for a plot. I have a 2 1/2 acre plot on a ridge top that i keep in whitetail institute alpha-rack+ top dressed with wheat every fall. Works good for me. Take a soil test, Some of the ridge tops on my place have not been limed in years but have a ph around 6.5. Good luck:wave:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We planted some clover in there last year you can see the green in the pics but we limed a littke and it came up the first year and came back even stronger the second year.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
i'd leave those trees in there if i were you. deer are comfortable in cover, if you can get it planted and leave the cover...youve got a win-win situation...food and cover in the same exact spot.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
The alpha-rack I plant contains mostly clover and it out performs everything else. Your clover will almost always be better the second year. I would definitely test the soil as you may not even need any lime. My experience with ridge top clover is pretty good though. I left some trees in my bigger plot when i first dozed it out and they really hurt the clover growing near them so i had them taken out.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I will have the trees in the middle takin out this spring I think thr=ere is 4 or 5 but i will leave the trees on the edeges there.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
Remember, those trees have leaves and if those leaves in the fall cover your clover plot it will die.
Those trees take nutrients, water and shade your plots also.
Remember to open in the south and the west where most of the sunlight will come from during growing season.

You have to weigh the advantages of mast production versus plot production if they are nut bearers...

Good luck!

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
yeah, i believe everyone bout nailed it imo already. i'm no expert by any means, what i do know, i learned from all the guys on here. :cheers:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you decide what areas to work on? 95 percent of the land I hunt is timber got the river as a border on the west side and crops to the north and east I know the deer are in there but just had no luck seeing them this year and I have become obsessed with making this a deer haven.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
basicaly knowing the land you hunt, i know where they bed and water on our place, trying to nail down their travel is a different matter. if its anything like our place, they really dont sick to a certain pattern. i lucked into this spot i bowhunted this year, its actually pretty close to the county road, but i have never seen so many deer in one season in my life. especially out of one particular stand

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
Originally posted by sparkie124
Well you seem like an expert
theres guys on here that could run circles around me with what they know:cheers:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well I appreciate all your help!! Thats my problem I have no idea what the deer do on this place I have cameras out and will get pics on one two or three times a week its no pattern for sure. There is creeks runnig everwhere and a few ponds so its hard to tell where they watering and there is 4 million oaks so there is acorns everywhere. I can not pattern these deer, we used to have stands that you could see deer out of every time you sat in them but I think the deer patterened us cuz there was only 1 deer seen out of these stand this year.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
We like aerial and topo pics!!!

If you are unsure about the plot...try a bag of winter wheat or winter rye...grows on a rock and deer love it...cheap and easy...

It could give you some more insight to your deer.:woot:

·
Registered
23,530 Posts
Originally posted by sparkie124
well I appreciate all your help!! Thats my problem I have no idea what the deer do on this place I have cameras out and will get pics on one two or three times a week its no pattern for sure. There is creeks runnig everwhere and a few ponds so its hard to tell where they watering and there is 4 million oaks so there is acorns everywhere. I can not pattern these deer, we used to have stands that you could see deer out of every time you sat in them but I think the deer patterened us cuz there was only 1 deer seen out of these stand this year.
I know what you mean about the deer being hard to pattern, especially when you have alot of woods and tons of acorns on the ground. Establishing a good food source in that spot will certainly help. Stand placement and entry/exit routes then become critical. Look for topographical and cover features that will up your odds as far as deer movement goes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts