Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a CVA bobcat for sale on 80 bucks on the internet and its a sidelock. would it be a good first ml?

·
PURE KILLER
38,020 Posts
sidelocks are always fun:cheers:

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
the cva bobcat tends to fit more of the youth crowd..as in 10yr old stature. its a smallish ML, with a 1 in 48" twist. i did some reading on them and the biggest complaints were the non adjustable blade sights, and they are on the heavy side. muzzleloaders are by design, simple guns. its a percussion cap gun, so damp weather can be a pain to deal with, especialy rain..whereas a 209 primer ML is not affected by rain. not sure what to tell ya...try it out. if you dont like it, you can always trade, or sell and get something else. either that, or see if you can get a cva traditions ML, they have the 50 cals at BPS right now for 120 dollars with the starter kit.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
we've got one, barrel is heavy, stock is light and it kicks like a mule, haven't shot it much cause we just were never comfortable hunting with it...fun to shoot, just could never get it to shoot consistantly...

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Sidelocks use #11 percussion caps and work best with real black powder. #11's are not as hot as 209's. #11's do not work well with pellets. Loose Pyrodex and 777 can be hard to light in cold weather.

Black powder can be hard to find. BP is regulated as an explosive. Wally World won't sell BP.

Unless you have a mentor to teach you, keep it simple, buy an in-line.

[Edited on 12/7/2009 by Mule]

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
find me a muzzleloader thats super cheap on the internet

·
19,117 Posts
[rquote=1501044&tid=104749&author=Doemaster]find me a muzzleloader thats super cheap on the internet[/rquote] DM whats your price range???

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Doemaster, you get what you pay for, but in ML's it is probably magnified more than anything else...for $80, you get something to hang above the fireplace...spend 200 more and you've got meat in the freezer...spend more than that, your friends are envious...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If you can get to Bass Pro in Springfield hit the outlet store, they have mega bargains on ML's right now. Your going to give a bare minimum of $150.00 for a decent inline & at least half that much for everything else your gonna need

[Edited on 12/7/2009 by Mojorisin]

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
[rquote=1501044&tid=104749&author=Doemaster]find me a muzzleloader thats super cheap on the internet[/rquote]

why does it have to be on the net? go to walmart....they have all ML's on clearance

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
:cheers: Yep, I'd go to walmart and get a CVA inline.

Spend some money on cleaning supplies!!!! It is NOT easy to keep a M/L clean.

Me, and both of my brothers all ruined our first m/l's by not keeping them squeaky clean.

Parker

·
17,674 Posts
[rquote=1501065&tid=104749&author=Jeremy][rquote=1501044&tid=104749&author=Doemaster]find me a muzzleloader thats super cheap on the internet[/rquote]

why does it have to be on the net? go to walmart....they have all ML's on clearance[/rquote]

Thats what I would do.:2thumbsup:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
Traditions Timber Ridge Inline is $90 on sale with Cabelas.

It is very similar to my first m/l. Like I said before, I didn't keep it clean, and it went bad in one off-season. I killed deer with it. If I had kept it clean, I'd still be killing deer with it.

I would still go take a look at Walmart first.

Parker

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
[rquote=1501081&tid=104749&author=hun10][rquote=1501065&tid=104749&author=Jeremy][rquote=1501044&tid=104749&author=Doemaster]find me a muzzleloader thats super cheap on the internet[/rquote]

why does it have to be on the net? go to walmart....they have all ML's on clearance[/rquote]

Thats what I would do.:2thumbsup:[/rquote]

Blue Springs and Oak Grove don't sell them, try the Walmart in Lee's Summit...good luck!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts