Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Missouri Department of Conservation Automated email response ---

We have received your comment and will forward it to the appropriate people in the Department for consideration.

Due to the large number of comments, we are unable to respond to individual emails on this topic.

Your comment:
My name is Mark I'm 50 years old and am a life long resident of Chariton County. Growing up I spent the falls and winters following my grandfather and dad hunting ducks, geese, rabbits,and quail. While there were deer seeing one occasionally was a big deal and we never hunted them, and turkey till I was probably in High School in the 70's before I ever saw one and I remember the first time I did like it was yesterday. Nineteen years ago I bought 40 acres from my great aunt and uncle and have been able to put together another 75 acres so we now own 115 acres of what I would call some of the prettiest white oak timber in Chariton County. We are very proud of our place and manage it for wildlife, I spend a great deal of time and money on providing habitat for the deer and turkey that call our place home. I have gotten into photography the last couple of years and while hunting still is my passion I enjoy going to the deer blind and taking photos of the deer and turkey.

I would like to think of my self as a friend of conservation and certainly MDC. I believe we have two of the finest Agents in our County and feel both of them have been very good for our County and hope they retire as agents while still living in the county. So this is a long way to get to my comment and question.
I have noticed in the last two to three years the decline in the deer numbers not only in my immediate area but in the County as a whole. I feel that this has been caused but the unlimited doe hunting opportunities and tags and has finally caught up. While most of the neighbors I have share the same concerns as myself there are those that if they can get 10 tags they will try their best to fill all ten tags. While I know the job of managing the Missouri deer herd is a huge task, and probably get just as many letters or comments like this saying there are still to many deer. I guess my question is in our area how many is to many, does MDC feel the numbers are where they should be in our County and how much longer is there going to be unlimited doe tags available over the counter? And at what time will the economic impact on loss of hunting revenues impact on smaller communities out weigh the impact to farming and damage caused by the deer herd. I work with the public everyday and I come in contact with lots of folk, that are deer hunters and I have yet to talk to one yet that have said they are seeing lots of deer, or seeing deer numbers anything like they have in the past.
Like I said earlier when I was a kid I can remember hardly ever seeing a deer or ever seeing a Turkey so the success and job MDC has done in bringing the numbers back to where they are now is a remarkable story and I appreciate the efforts very much, I just am seeing a trend that concerns me and thought I would express my opinion.
Thanks
Mark

Thank you for your interest in conservation.

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by rmr]

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
i felt the same way about saline last year...this year i saw 10 in one morning...go figure

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,045 Posts
I honestly don't know what to think on the deer #'s in our area. I had hunts this year, with as many as 10-12 deer being seen & hunts with no deer being seen. Early trail cams showed a lot of deer in the area. Opening morning of rifle season, I heard the fewest shots I've ever heard since owning our farm. I sincerely believe there's more to the low #'s than a huge lack of deer in our area. I'm reserving my final opinion on the subject till after the late season hunts over standing corn & beans. If we can get some significant snow on the ground, I'll know where to put the cams to get a better idea of what's going on with the #'s.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
Very nice and well written letter. It will take many letters and emails like that to drum up any interest in addressing potential solutions.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:thanks for sharing

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Great letter Mark! Kinda like last year when the Howard county agent let his retired MDC forestry buddy kill unlimited antlered deer on his tree farm the last two weeks of October. Needless to say non of us locals were very happy.

Hope you get a straight answer, if you don't get one from email then pick up the phone and call Jeff City.

BTH

·
PURE KILLER
38,020 Posts
hope for the best:cheers:

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have heard a lot on MWT and from other fellow deer hunters that the unlimited doe tags and number of days we have to harvest antlerless deer are really starting to take it's toll. According to most of the people I have chatted with something needs to be changed, and I can agree with that.

Hopefully if MDC is receiving a lot of negative input on this matter, something will change soon.

You did the right thing and made them aware of your concerns.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Very good RMR. I applaude your efforts and agree with you 100%

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
[rquote=1502695&tid=104851&author=BioBuck]I have heard a lot on MWT and from other fellow deer hunters that the unlimited doe tags and number of days we have to harvest antlerless deer are really starting to take it's toll. According to most of the people I have chatted with something needs to be changed, and I can agree with that.

Hopefully if MDC is receiving a lot of negative input on this matter, something will change soon.

You did the right thing and made them aware of your concerns.

:cheers:[/rquote]
I think the numbers are low also. I hunt only public ground and it is getting a little tough just to see more than one or two. I think they need to do something I just dont have the solution.:thinking::shrug:

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dear Mark

Thank you for your words of support. It is gratifying to know that our efforts are recognized and appreciated.

As you indicate, deer management is a challenge. That is, one person's "too many" deer is the next person's "too few." Regardless, we strive to strike a balance between the positive and negative aspects of deer presence.

Each year we review our deer management strategy and evaluate the results of the previous year's seasons. Factors considered include the prior seasons' harvest (both number and composition), the incidence of deer-vehicle accidents, crop damage reports, and other factors. Also important are the observations of hunters / landowners such as yourself. You have my assurance that your comments will be included when we consider deer hunting regulations for the 2010 seasons.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I will share your correspondence with the members of the Regulations Committee so they will be aware of your opinions. We hope you continue to enjoy your 115 acres in Chariton County and thank you for your responsible stewardship of that land. Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.

I might add this was copied to about 16 others probably other MDC employees

I am very pleased with the quick response and feel good that I made the effort.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
:claphands: Very nice letter Mark and I too I applaud your efforts! I have learned a great deal form You and others on this site! And there is no doubt that in my opinion You can make a good call based on numbers in Your local area and for sure on Your farm? As I can tell by Your posts of the hard work and the hours spent afield not just hunting but enjoying the whole package with Your Friends and Family! And it is my opinion that with people like You and others we can keep sending letters to our concerns and even though it was an automated response someone will hear Your cry and the cry of others to take a look in this matter a little closer?
Anyway I for one a will keep trying to do my part as so many on this forum and keep trying to improve our place Year after Year day after day in hopes of seeing the difference I know we all can make a difference if we do the work!:grouphug:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I will share your correspondence with the members of the Regulations Committee so they will be aware of your opinions. We hope you continue to enjoy your 115 acres in Chariton County and thank you for your responsible stewardship of that land. Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.

I might add this was copied to about 16 others probably other MDC employees

I am very pleased with the quick response and feel good that I made the effort.

VERY Good Stuff Mark and Thanks for posting the return LETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:2thumbsup:

[Edited on 12-30-2006 by CLIFFHANGER]

·
Your Local Know It All
7,021 Posts
:eek::

I have had the opportunity to hunt with and befriend several non Missouri residents. They all say the same thing, you all are so lucky in MO. Your conservation department is awesome I had one tell me.

Simply the Best! Thanks MDC for all you do!

BTH

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by Big Time Hunter]

·
Crossbow supporter
32,066 Posts
Sweet :cheers:

·
Registered
33,549 Posts
Well written RMR. Getting a personalized reply right away is a good sign, not just a boiler plate canned response.
This has me wondering if something like a "MWT petition" would carry a little weight? A little document similar to your letter with lotsa signatures on it... might be hard to pull off... but might be worth it? :thinking:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have felt the same way about our area in Cooper County for a couple of years now. Even got into some tussles with folks on here who told me I was wrong, didn't know what I was talking about and ended up getting banned under a previous user name. I'm glad to see more people stand up and say what I've been saying for some time now....maybe MDC will finally take notice! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts