Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

My homemade self-spear

2163 Views 30 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  CamoNinja
I've been living the traditional life for several years. Thought i would show the progress of my self-spear. It's been a journey that hopefully will end with a 6.5 year old buck down this coming fall. Here are some pics to follow along.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Plant People in nature Leaf Gesture
Plant People in nature Gesture Wood Grass

Hickory stave. No need to straighten or dry. Just get to work...

Hand Botany Wood Plant Gesture

Shaving it down with an old Native American tool I found in my driveway.

Wood Road surface Asphalt Grass Tar

After about 15 minutes of shaving got it down where I wanted it and straighten out.

Water Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood

Found a Native American chicken feeder on the back 40. Will be perfect to forge into the spear head.

Wood Hardwood Tool Tints and shades Glass

Bout an hour later in the fire. Managed to do some carving and wood burning as well. Hope this inspires someone to go for their dream.
See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Good luck...hoe you kill a biggun.
Amazing work. All you have to do is set your mind to do it.
I hope you bring it to MoJam next weekend. I'd like to document your work by taking a few photos for a future project for myself.

I bet that was a bia tch to forge that galvanized Indian chicken feeder into a solid spear point. More than I would tackle.
Reactions: 1
You should stick a pig with that.
When I was a kid I used a dried up horse weed as a spear & hit another kid in the eye with it. Nearly poked his eye out. It was self defense, because he have a very similar spear trying to hit me in the eye.
Reactions: 4
Subscribed
When I was a kid I used a dried up horse weed as a spear & hit another kid in the eye with it. Nearly poked his eye out. It was self defense, because he have a very similar spear trying to hit me in the eye.
Gotta keep your head on a swivel when you're in a vicious **** fight.
Reactions: 2
Those were really wicked if you sharpened the root ball into a point. With 3 boys in my family its a wonder we all made it to adulthood.
I've been living the traditional life for several years. Thought i would show the progress of my self-spear. It's been a journey that hopefully will end with a 6.5 year old buck down this coming fall. Here are some pics to follow along.
View attachment 140341 View attachment 140343
Hickory stave. No need to straighten or dry. Just get to work...

View attachment 140347
Shaving it down with an old Native American tool I found in my driveway.

View attachment 140349
After about 15 minutes of shaving got it down where I wanted it and straighten out.

View attachment 140351
Found a Native American chicken feeder on the back 40. Will be perfect to forge into the spear head.

View attachment 140355
Bout an hour later in the fire. Managed to do some carving and wood burning as well. Hope this inspires someone to go for their dream.
Is that how Native Americans gigged frogs and suckers?
The chicken feeder looks synthetic
Mailman does better work.
Wonderful piece of fiction.
Mailman does better work.
I don't know about better....self spears and self bows are two different animals. I'm hoping he brings his spear to MoJam next weekend so I can pick his brain on the little details he uses to make such an exquisite weapon. The little details on any project is what makes them stand out above a mediocre done job. Like is the blade a single or double bevel?
No doubt a nice participation trophy coming your way, at least you tried. Maybe getting a couple more under your belt and you can present something that will really stand out. Regardless thanks for sharing and keep pursuing the dream.
WHUT????:eek::eek::eek:
Haters going to hate
Spear is not an approved hunting device in MO, but if it evolves into an Atlatl your efforts might be rewarded! :popcorn:
You going to make one for an mds auction?
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.