Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

My first turkey

1K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  riverbottomhunter 
#1 ·
Killed my very first turkey ever this morning. Bad thing is that it was a bearded hen! I thought it was a jake when I shot, but then got to it and it had no spurs. It was about 9 this morning and there was a few gobblers just hammering away for whatever reason. I set up on a old grassy road, put out Ms Jenny (my decoy) and give a few purrs and just a couple of yelps. At 9:06 I see a turkey coming, I see the beard and at about 25 yards I shoot. It was exciting. Just wish it wasn't a hen. I'll be after the big ones next week!

#2 ·
Well that's awesome bob!
You harvested something that most people haven't seen!
:cheers::cheers:

#7 ·
Thanks. I'm going to take my son out this weekend, since he didn't get on during the youth season. He froze on a HUGE gobbler at 13 yards! He is only 7 years old, and I'm 29 and I probably would have froze or shook or something. Figure since I can't hunt again til Mon. I'll see if I can help him get one. Thanks again.

#15 ·
Good job Bob!!! Don't worry about the hen part...ya got one under yo belt now!!!! Ya got the hard part over with....lol. Good luck with the son the rest of the season!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.