My first turkey hunt ever and first turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Photo Gallery' started by DeerHuntMO, Apr 27, 2006.

1. DeerHuntMO

DeerHuntMO New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Well, I love to deer hunt (bow and rifle), but have never turkey hunted. I wanted to for the past couple of seasons but haven't been able to go for various reasons. This was my year.

Day before opening season got permission from the land owner and patterned my shotgun at from 20-40 yards out.

I went with 2 buddies on opening morning in Dallas county. We got into the woods about 5:15 am. I setup near a younger hunter who has had experience in turkey hunting. He made a few owl calls but no turkeys sounded off. Right about daylight, he made a hen call and we heard gobblers in directions all around us. They were probably a good 300 yards away though.

We hung out there for about 30-45 mins, but the gobblers got further away and stopped calling back altogether. I prompted my friend to walk down the woodline of a field towards a ridge. We walked about 300 yards and all of a sudden we heard a gobble about 20 yards from us in the woods. We setup and called the tom out of the woods, but he ended up going down over the hill where we couldn't see him. After about 45 mins of trying to get him to come back up the hill without success we decided to sneak up to the top of the hill.

My friend went crouched up about 15 yards from the crest of the hill and called behind a bush. I low crawled about 50 yards through knee-high wet hay until I reached the crest of the hill. I hid behind a little dead cedar laying on the plateau of the hill and looked up over the branches....and there was the big tom. I sat up and he caught my movement and squared up and was looking right at me. He was about 50 yards out. I aimed my 12 ga. and let it rip. 2 other birds flew off, but my tom stood absolutely still. I re-aimed and took another shot and he started to fly off into the woods. My friend and I ran over to the woods and heard a crash.

Down in the bottom of the woods we found my tom! Pretty big bird.

About 25 pounds. He had a double beard...9.5" and 8". Spurs were 1"1/4". We got him cleaned up (left him whole) and in the freezer. Now we just have to decide how to cook him? (bake? smoke? or deep fry?)

I can't hunt again this week, so I'm going out with my two buddies again and going to film them.

Turkey hunting is great! (sorry about the small/fuzzy pic..I used my cell phone camera)

2. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Congrat's on a mighty fine Tom! :cheers:

So ~ are you hooked, now?! :D

BTW ~ Welcome to Missouri Whitetails! :wave:

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Nice bud! and welcome to the forum. I got a feeling your gonna fit right in!

Great story.:banana:

4. Whitemarsh

Whitemarsh New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Greene Co.
    Welcome to MWT and Congrats on a very nice bird and a great story!:cheers:

5. OA3D

OA3D New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Otterville
    Congrats and welcome:eek:

6. semodeerhunter

semodeerhunter New Member

Dec 25, 2002
    perryville mo
    Congrats on the great bird and welcome to the forum.

7. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    welcome aboard and congrats :cheers:

8. Bowpredator

Bowpredator New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Licking Missouri
    Nice bird! Congrats! You better go buy a lottery ticket real quick with that kind of luck. First time out and you kill a 25 pounder with a double beard and good spurs!

9. DeerHuntMO

DeerHuntMO New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Springfield, MO
    Thanks for the positive comments.

I think I'm addicted to turkey hunting. I may be sick, but I'm hearing gobbles throughout the day when turkeys aren't even around.

I can't wait until next week and I can get back out and try to fill my second tag.

-Mark (Maku)

10. Well Done! :eek: Welcome aboard, I have been hearing turks gobble for the last week or two while sleeping, at work, at the house, etc.

11. xxx

xxx Guest

:wink4::wink4::wink4: Congrats for sure......

12. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
  13. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    Awesome first..........Congrats

14. Cburrows_tx

Cburrows_tx New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    Lamar Co. Texas
    Glad you have joined us! Congrats on the bird!

15. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Congratulations and Welcome to www.missouriwhitetails.com!! Glad to have you.

Jack:cheers::cheers::cheers:

16. timber_hippy77

timber_hippy77 New Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Nodaway County
    awsome story, also a great bird for a first time turkey hunter. That would be a great bird for any hunter, new or veteran.

17. BIG OL AL

BIG OL AL New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    High Ridge MO
    Congrats on that fine bird!!!
    Welcome to MWT!

18. horntagger

horntagger New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Southeast Missouri
    Congrats on your first I am sure it won't be the last