Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

My first deer

755 views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  coyotehunter 
#1 ·
I was looking for some old photos and found a couple photos of my first deer. Thought you might enjoy them.

Bambi was an orphan buck fawn whose mother was killed in a vehicle accident and was found by my dad and uncle. My dad received a state permit to raise the fawn and Bambi moved in at the tender age of 2-3 days old. He slept in a box next to the wood stove in the kitchen and every two to three hours would bawl for his bottle. He stayed in the house until he was 6 months old. He was house broke and would stand by the back door until you took him out. He like to play with kids and dogs and would tear around the house like a madman. He was broke to the leash and you could lead him around llike a dog.

When he was 6 months old Bambi moved to his new deer condo (a 30x100' chicken coop with a run) on orders of my mother. We kids played with him in his condo along with all the neighbor kids. You could always stop the rough housing by putting out your thumb and Bambi would suck on it.

It was a sad day when the conservation permit ran out and the CO's arrived and moved him to a zoological park in northern NJ. He was used as a breeder buck and lived to a ripe old age. A lot of good memories came back when I found these photos!:)

See less See more
#5 ·
That is so cool...

I think that second pic should be on the cover of National Geographic.. so very cool whitemarsh.. thanks for sharing!

#7 ·
That is too cool

#8 ·
I'm wondering how big he got?

#10 ·
That's a very neat story and great pics!
Thanks a lot for sharing both!
:cheers::cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.