My crow hunt

Discussion in 'Game Birds' started by mrclean, Feb 15, 2006.

1. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    Not sure if crows are a "game bird," but we made game of 'em last weekend.
    Using an electronic caller and loud speaker, my buddy and I hunted in a few spots on a 300 acre tract in north mo. Almost every time, the birds came in fast and high - seemingly from nowhere.
    We weren't taking it very seriously, so we didn't have camo, hid only partially, and usually had the truck nearby. We never got a very close shot but there was plenty of shooting.
    I know we would do better with decoys, etc..., but it was fun.
    Any comments from crow hunting vets would be appreciated.

2. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    You can make decoys cheaply by cutting silhouettes out of cardboard and then painting them black. They work great.

Also, get an owl decoy from a local garden center and put it on a post near your decoys. My caller is an owl and crow fight and it draws em like flies if they are nearby. Once you have one down, lots more come in to help.

Sit tight if one bird flys by at first.. they will often send a scout bird and if you spook him, you have to move or have a long afternoon.

Plenty of crow hunting resources on the web...

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Oh... they have great eyesight and lots of eyes looking so camo is a must if you are still hunting

4. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    I heard that crows see in double vision, Crows are fun and harder to hunt than you would think.

5. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    after shooting a bird put is beak in the ground and throw a cripple crow distress they come flyin in!they get close to the dead decoy too. i dont shoot em with a shotgun i use my bow! or try too.

6. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Bowkil, that sounds like fun...do you use broadheads, judo's or what? I guess I could get someone to bat cleanup with a shotgun when I miss....lol

7. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Crockpot crow.... not too bad a recipe