My Common Ground Wildflower/NWSG Area

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by HabitatMD, May 29, 2009.

1. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I'd thought it would be nice to put in a little wildflower/WSG patch in some common ground behind the house. Its just a strip. Had some extra forb seed leftover and picked some WSG seed from the farm. The forb seed contained, Ill. Bundleflower, Gray headed coneflower, Pale Purple Coneflower, PP Clover, Partridge Pea, White Wild Indigo, Tall Coreopsis, Sensitive Briar, Roundhead Lespedeza, Black Eyed Susan. Can't find my little seedling ID guide right now, but I know I've seen a few in the mix. WSG, I've got Sideoats, Indian, Big Blue, and Little Blue.

Sprayed with glypho last fall, then again this spring. Threw the seed out in Mid March and sprayed in early April before anything germinated. I still have a little fescue work to do, but I knocked it back pretty well. Just had a backpack sprayer to work with.

Anyway, here it is.

[file]58930[/file]

2. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I'm going with PP Coneflower on this'n.

[file]58932[/file]

3. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Illinois bundleflower

[file]58934[/file]

4. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Partridge Pea

[file]58940[/file]

5. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Some WSG of some flavor.

[file]58942[/file]

6. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I see lots of black eye susan as well..just didn't get any pics. Here's a little cuss I've been digging up all over the area. Canadian Thistle.

[file]58944[/file]

7. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Crappy pic, but I think this is the Roundhead Lespedeza.

[file]58946[/file]

8. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Thanks for the pics. Always good to learn plant ID on young plants.:cheers:

9. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I'll do some more searching tomorrow and hopefully find a few more in the seed mix. I still struggle with seedlings. Once flowers appear, I can hold my own. I've got this little bound small booklet that has quite a few seedlings and how to identify them, but I can't seem to locate it. I'd like to work on IDing my grasses when they are young.

10. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter New Member

I just got back from checking mine. I recognize a few of those. I'm kinda relieved too, I thought I had some honey locust coming up but I guess it's the IL Bundle flower and Partridge Pea.

11. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    IB and PP have a really similar look. The PP will have substantially bigger leaves. I think I saw some sensitive briar out there too. Kinda has that vetch sort of look.

Here is the seedling guide I had somewhere. Its available on the MDCnatureshop website. I really need to do some searching for it.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the link if you are interested.
    http://www.mdcnatureshop.com/seedling-id-guidentv-prairie-pr-305.html

12. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    [rquote=1280126&tid=89571&author=HabitatMD]I'm going with PP Coneflower on this'n.[/rquote]

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is gray headed coneflower now. Found a page on grownative.org that has seedling for ID'ing.

http://www.grownative.org/plants/plantid.asp

13. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    HabitatMD, I don't have a pic, but I have a plant that is about 3-4 feet tall I would like a clue on. It's leaves grow from a central stem and get smaller as they get near the top. The flower is mostly white and resembles a wild Holly Hock, if there is such a thing.

14. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

:eek:::eek:::eek::

those small seedlings id's will come in handy since I planted most of those plants last fall. I have been looking at the 3 pounds of purple prairie clover that I planted to see what it looks like, but I have not a clue on small plants.

15. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Of all the forbes we put in to our original cp33's the partridge pea seems to be the most hardy. I need to have a looksee at the farm and see which ones are still visible after 5 years. That will be a pretty patch once it matures.:2thumbsup:

:cheers::cheers: