Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

My attempt at turtle shell call making

3K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  FiremanBrad 
#1 ·
I am attempting to make my own turtle shell call. So far I have taken a shell I found while deer hunting this past fall and cleaned it up a bit. It had some stains on it from the dirt/mud that it was half buried in. I cut out a piece of old slate chalk board that was from an old antique slate board that was used in schools way back when Hector was a pup. I chipped away with a pair of pliers until I had it close to the right size to cover the bottom of the shell. Then I used my fixed position belt sander and trimmed it to fit. I used an epoxy glue to mount and to fill in any gaps between the slate and the shell. On the front of the slate where it was open to the front I put a grooved piece of pine just so it wouldn't break if I mistreated it. Just to give it a finish I sprayed it with an ivory colored spray paint. I am planning on putting some art work on it in the future. It has good sound so far. It changes pitch from one place to another using a left over store bought striker made of hickory. I tried the carbon striker but it sounded like scratching your nails across a chalk board in school. It makes good purrs also. I use some 200 grit paper on the slate to give it some good sound. Here are some pics of it so far. I'll post some more when I decide on what art work I'm going to use. I have two more shells to use for improved models in the future.

#5 ·
PV I picked up a couple of busted chalk boards at an antique shop in Sedalia for a few bucks. I've been looking since then and the price has tripled....even for broken and cracked ones. I have enough to make maybe 4 more calls. That is as long as it doesn't bust when I'm nipping off pieces to make it fit the shell. I might try my little table top jig saw and see if it will cut through it without either breaking the slate or dulling the blade to much. I'd like to find a shell that is about three inches across so it will be easier to handle and carry. Of course one that size might change the sound totally. The one in the picture measures 4 3/4" by 4". I had one made last spring to use on its maiden voyage and dropped it in the driveway and broke it. This one I will be more careful with.

#6 ·
The reason I ask is I have a couple of pieces, total of 2 or3 sq ft. You can have it if you like. Meet at the classic? or such.

Most of the turtle calls i have seen the slate is set down into the shell or at an angle so that it covers the entire opening?

#11 ·
Mailman,

I'd like to run a striker across that baby if you think you could bring it to the Classic.

I've got a similar sized shell that I'd rather look at yours and test out rather than diving right in myself.

Parker

#17 ·
Well Parker....I put some camo tape on it to see how it would look. You be the judge....leave it or remove it? I may still take the tape off and paint some camo on it instead. Here are three pics of the taped edition.

#20 ·
HAHA! That looks pretty cool! I'm an artsy fartsy type, so I'd like to see some painting, but that's neat!

I'm laughing about the idea of doing that to a turtle shell with a turtle in it! That would be a COOL pic! HEHEHE!

Parker

#23 ·
Originally posted by Snowman
It looks good. However it takes away from it being a turtle shell. What about painting it like a turtle shell. They have a natural camo.
I agree snowman! With that camo on there you can't really tell that it is a turtle shell. And I also like the idea of painting it like a turtle!

#24 ·
Your wishes are my command fellas. I'm starting on another shell this weekend. I have jury duty in Kansas City next week and hopefully I can work on it later in the week. What ever the case.......GUILTY...LIFE IN PRISON. I'll teach them to make me Jury Foreman again. :bangin:

#26 ·
Originally posted by Parker
HAHA! That looks pretty cool! I'm an artsy fartsy type, so I'd like to see some painting, but that's neat!

I'm laughing about the idea of doing that to a turtle shell with a turtle in it! That would be a COOL pic! HEHEHE!

Parker
That's what I was thinkin.....maybe something from the past....like cave paintings....little stick men huntin stick turkeys with sticks er sumptin!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.