Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Called around looking for some fiber board to make a target butt out of today and found some discontinued foam insulation, bought it all for $20

Cut some 1' sections out wiff a circular saw and put it to the test, these three arrows were shot at 20 yards. I thought it would work.

This is the finished product using all-thread to tighten it down wiff and some scrap lumber for the frame. It's 4'X4' by the way. These were shot at 30 yards. If you notice the bow in the 2X6 at the top, then notice the center target arrows penetrated a lot further, I am gonna have to figure a way to tighten the center of the target tighter.

Just for reference, this is a side view.

All in all I think it was a successful project with a little tweaking. I beleive it will be a GREAT broadhead target, even if it isn't the most durable.

Everything I had to buy cost $32 (not counting the gas to and from the lumber yard.) :D

·
5,632 Posts
If you wanted to take the time to do it, you could move the threaded rod in about 8 or 10 inches on either side. Drill holes through the fiber board all the way down and slip the board over the threaded rod. It will tighten the middle considerably. Just have to remember to not shoot at the rod. Maybe a florescent painted line running where the rod runs.

Just an idea.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh almost forgot.

Take out the time that I ran around looking for tools and finding scrap lumber I'm guessing total time to make the target was MAY-be 90 minutes. Pretty quick target it was.

I have enough stuff left over to make a couple of 2X2 ones too. I believe they will be a lot easier to tighten down. Will have to buy some more all thread though.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brake, they are VERY easy to pull. That really impressed me.

However, when I get it as tight as it needs to be they will be a little harder. I did move my target toward the outside so it would stop them better and they were still very easy to pull by the way.

I'd like to get it tight enough that they don't exit out the back side. Not sure if that is possible though.

·
5,632 Posts
Also, what about a stiffer piece of lumber on top?

Got any 6' pieces of 4"x4" sitting around?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you know what Jmac, that might work.

The piece that is on there is a 2X6 of NATIVE oak. Just about as hard as it comes. But the 4X4 might be just the ticket. I suppose the bottom one would need to be a 4X4 too.

Pretty good idear!

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,539 Posts
Add the 4x4 or 2x4 on edge to the existing piece of lumber. Does anyone know if Hubert Fiberboard is still in existance in Booneville? We used to build a buttload of great targets with that stuff. $50 used to go a long way in materials.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by pinwheel
Add the 4x4 or 2x4 on edge to the existing piece of lumber. Does anyone know if Hubert Fiberboard is still in existance in Booneville? We used to build a buttload of great targets with that stuff. $50 used to go a long way in materials.
Yes. Their 1" fiberboard is $10 a sheet. But I din't wanna blow $80 in gas today.

I'm gonna make a trip there one day soon.

I'll put a 2X4 on edge under that top 2X6. I was wondering about that. Thanks for the tip pinwheel! :cheers:

·
Registered
18,764 Posts
Sweet target DSG!!

I definitely agree on the fiberboard. When it comes time for a new one get the fiberboard and build it. Stops anything, tightens down evenly, and lasts forever. We had one of those that my dad built when I first started shooting when I was little bitty. That target lasted for probably 12 years at least, and we shot ALOT!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Originally posted by jmmcguire
If you wanted to take the time to do it, you could move the threaded rod in about 8 or 10 inches on either side. Drill holes through the fiber board all the way down and slip the board over the threaded rod. It will tighten the middle considerably. Just have to remember to not shoot at the rod. Maybe a florescent painted line running where the rod runs.

Just an idea.
I made a similar backstop out of strips of carpet from a house we were gutting. It took a little longer since I had to cut the strips by hand but like Jmac said, I moved the rods in closer on mine and havent had any problems with the center of the target being loose. Only problem with mine is that it is only 4 inches thick and wont stand up like yours does. I have it leaning against a tree. Arrows come out easy and never had one go too deep.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Looks like a great target to me!!
:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
I thought DSG was gittin hard up, and gettin cheap on us...hehehehe...good target there. We use the fiberboard from New Franklin at our bow range. We use 2x12's top and bottom, and then a bander to band it tight....good stuff!!!

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
I made almost the exact same target.. used cardboard instead of fibreboard though. That cardboard lasted a long time.. unfortunately, the frame is gone
now after I moved about 3 yrs ago.

I used unistrut instead of wood to frame the top and bottom.

If you can get it, take a peice of plywood and use unistrut on top to tighten it
down. Unistrut wont bow.

Got my idear from the ol bale-binder targets :)

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Good job Kurt, I have the same setup at home and have used it for several years. Put mine on an old engine cart so I can move it around to different areas. If the center is abit weak or soft you can always take one of those cheap foam targets from wally world and put it up on that one and it will last even longer. Good Job..... Next question......do you deliver? :rotfl:

MoBowman ```---------->

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.